timber wolf cs-590 with 24" bar and cs-450p projects -so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just happened to have a brand new 24" husky bar with huskys oregon style chain so i thought i would try it on the echo 590.

the bar seems to fit fine , oil holes line up , it added quite a bit of weight to the saw . cut a few gums and a couple ash . it pulled through them with no fuss.

so far i haven't cut any oaks big enough to really test this 24" set up. though i did cut a couple 20"s which it ate up. the oiler seems a bit lean for a 24" -- i'll have to turn it up if i keep it on .

got the flea-bay CS-450P chainsaw in yesterday. the thing cranked the FIRST pull -- the saw looks pretty good and new like . probably had a few tanks of gas through it . the chain brake is sort of "bork-ed" if i get time today i am going to take the brake apart and see whats going on with it.

i don't know how it is going to pull this 20" 3/8 it came with-- the saw seems really light. should be the thing for topping up. the motor sounds 'zoomy" and new like-- so it is promising--

cleaned up the clutch/cover/brake on the cs-450 and it works fine now , blew out the air cleaner and took the 450 out to see what it can do.

with a 20" bar and 3/8ths semi chain it cut small hardwoods fine , the saw seems to love 'topping".

but there is this 23" pine that blew down last year and every so often i like to cut a slab off it for kindeling for my fire place. i thought it would be a good test for the 450.

the little 45cc would all-most get it done but you could tell it was running out of steam about half way through and you had to get lighter and lighter to keep it from fully bogging out. rich sticky pine is tough , a big one is too much for a little saw trying to pull 20" of semi chain.

this same saw with a 16" or a .325 chain might be the ticket -- i may try 20" of .325 and a narrow kerf bar --years ago i had a old husky 350 that had 16" with the .325 -- it was a pretty hard saw to stop with that set up.

after the rather gutless bucking with the cs-450p , i thought i would try a few tricks to see if it really was as 'stopped up" on the muffler as everybody says it is.

the first thing i did was remove the mufflers very restrictive deflector and screen -- and it suddenly "had a pair" after all.

later i removed the muffler and sure enough a big fat al-gore style cat sitting in there , i blew a little compressed air through it and it don't seem all that restrictive , my saws cat seemed to be in good shape and clean as new.

i did take the biggest drill bit i had and bored a few holes through the wall holding the cat "just in case". i may go back and remove it--but i think i liberated enough to get her moving pretty good.

now all i got to do is remove the limiters and set the carb up for all this new flow.

this is about the most restrictive muffler set up i believe i have ever seen on a saw.

it is like al-gore plugged it up with a potato--- no lie these things are plugged up stock.

i suspect it is going to be real strong once finished up.

now all i got to do is remove the limiters and set the carb up for all this new flow.

this is about the most restrictive muffler set up i believe i have ever seen on a saw.

i suspect it is going to be real strong once finished up.

Correct on all counts.

the CS-450 looks to have gained quite a bit from a muffler mod -- a huge amount actually like 35%+ more power.

now it runs a lot like my old pre-emission husky 350 , which is to say pretty good for its size.

i don't know yet if i'm going to mod the 590 as it is nowhere near as stopped up as the 450 was.

i suspect it would make some good gains , though i wouldn't expect it to be such a dramatic a boost as this 450 got.

Back