Timberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheriff420

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Now I know a few of y'all have one.
Will someone break out a tape measure the next time you're in the shop and measure the hook and how far the base of the hook (pivot point) and the spike on the end of the handle are from each other please?
I figure $50 to buy one or $0 to make one, that's a tough decision...

Now I know a few of y'all have one.
Will someone break out a tape measure the next time you're in the shop and measure the hook and how far the base of the hook (pivot point) and the spike on the end of the handle are from each other please?
I figure $50 to buy one or $0 to make one, that's a tough decision...

If thats the brand they sell in local farm stores than save your first $50 and add $50 to it on a Logrite. Agreed though, if you can make your own than your way ahead. Pivot point to end of spike on Logrite is 10 1/4". REJ2

Last edited:
Cool, now I need to figure out how big to make the hook, thanks.

I've got some scrap in the back yard in mind for what I'm going to make it with.

I just need to break out the angle grinder and the welder and get to work on it.

I'm not concerned with the weight with it being all steel since I'm clearing the back of the property and when I go back there I have my tools on my yard trailer that I made the other day and I can just chuck it on the trailer with everything else.

Most of what I'm cutting is between 4" and 12" in diameter. And I tend to lift the smaller stuff up off the ground with my left foot then cut it on the right side of my right foot while having the bar pointing at the ground.

Make it to a size that fits YOU.

But on the base put some "pads" on the ends and middle of the pipe. Mine kept sinking into the ground on the larger sticks.
FjPHrstFjICENBFJ7W-CRi0MAoWKCuX9P6BRcy_kfaFDTejWrTdwSQd3U6YHU6r6HwMwKxJCkaAwgS4U9yBzJsCd4eIut9g1NH1CjgAHj1GSChB-UDFdHqw-A_NoK_9DODnfSVqzBu_vzKs1S_3za3sY9S2uCOa3zSMMbEpi

I cut my cant hooks out with an Oxy. See my sig ? - click on Cant Dragon.

That looks great Bob. Please make the rest of us here feel better and tell us that there is something you don't do well. LOL Make something up if you have to. :givebeer:

I like the look of the cant dragon, now I have a better design to go off of, thanks.

I'm probably going to use a piece of 1 1/2" square tubing for the handle that is about 50" long and seeing your hook I'll run up to my dads work and use the plasma cutter on a piece of 1/4" plate i have in the back yard.
I was going to use some 1/4" thick by 2" wide metal and just cut the bends then weld them together for the hook, but I like the solid hook a little better.

Bought my timberjack from Northern Hydaulics, and I'm not impressed.
Main problem is the hook point. It just won't stay in even after setting it with a small sledge.
Steve W.

That looks great Bob. Please make the rest of us here feel better and tell us that there is something you don't do well. LOL Make something up if you have to. :givebeer:

Cheers guys.

There is a very long list of things I do very poorly including, sitting still, sleeping, dancing, singing, all sport (especially if there is a stick or racquet involved) and remembering names and dates, last year I forgot to go to an "employee of the year award" event at work where I was an awardee.

Cheers guys.
last year I forgot to go to an "employee of the year award" event at work where I was an awardee.

Sorry for the derail op, but this is one of the funniest things I have read on here! :cheers:

Sorry for the derail op, but this is one of the funniest things I have read on here! :cheers:

At the time I was line manager for ~65 people and unbeknownst to me a group of staff nominated me for the line manager award. A week or so before the award event a senior manager called me to say I have been awarded a "line manager of the year award" and that I should attend the annual awards ceremony to accept the award. Anyway I put it in my diary, but on the day I forgot to look at the diary so I never went. The next day one of my co-workers comes to my office and says, "Why weren't you at the awards event? The senior managers and the president were all on stage and called out my name but I was not in the audience".

Of course I promptly called the senior manager and apologized but she was totally cool and said she would like to have a special small awards event just for me! So I had to meet with her and a staff photographer in a meeting room and then I had to go through the motions of pretending I was walking up to receive the award and then have my photo taken with her, by myself, shaking her hand, holding the certificate between me and her etc. Anyway she got me to repeat this act about 10 times, and when she saw I was starting to get irritated, she drew me over and smiling most charmingly said very quietly and politely, " this is so you won't forget next time". My guess is there won't be a next time.

Well I have a couple pieces for my timberjack cut out, just waiting for the hooks (the torch ran out of gas).

I was going to run up to my dads work and use the plasma cutter for a nice clean cut but he just told me to throw the plate in his truck and he would get it after he got off since I already drew the cuts that need to be made on that plate.

He didn't feel like messing with the plasma cutter so he just used the torch to cut them so I've got to spend some quality time with my grinder to pretty them up before putting the Lincoln to work.

I'll be sure to get a few pictures of it when I'm making it.

I'm making one for a friend too, I just need to find something to make the handle out of for his.

I'm debating making another hook that is half the length of the other one just for the smaller stuff. I figure I could put it on the same bolt as the big hook and just have it strapped back against the handle until I need it. I'll see how the big hook works out first though.

I'm also thinking about making the little teeth a bit further apart for a better bite but again, I'll have to see how it works before modifying the design.
If I do need to have the teeth further apart then I'll just cut out every other tooth and it should be good.

Well my dad hasn't finished cutting the hook out of that piece of plate steel that I had yet and I was off yesterday so I went out there and made a hook.

I need to modify it a little bit because I was going off memory from looking at them on here and I remembered the angle of the hooks end wrong.

I used scrap that was laying around so the cost to me was a little welding wire/gas, electricity and a cutoff wheel for the grinder.

5162921151_542cb32c90_b.jpg

5162921503_a9371769a0_b.jpg

5162920601_561f59ebe3_b.jpg

Chance of bending the fulcrum

I'm basing my observations on you having about an 8" log in there.
Looks like you're going pretty high on the bottom support, might want to consider bracing it a bit or cutting it down. Since the whole thing might be a bit heavy, my choice would be to remove and reduce weight.
Steve W.

I just dropped a couple oak trees that were about 16" around at the base to test the timberjack out and that thing worked like a charm. Both trees had a really strong bend to them so it took a little muscle to get this thing to pick them up but the teeth didn't slip a bit.
At one point, one of the trees spun a little and had the timberjack sitting on the end of the handle and one side of the leg under the hooked part.
I don't believe I need any bracing to keep it together because it held up just fine. I might cut about 4" out of the leg though just to make it easier to stand a heavy log up.
One of the reasons I went out there to test it out was to see if I could break it.
The weight isn't terrible since I am just clearing the back of the property and not cutting all day every day. I think it's close to the same weight as my saw, I'll have to throw it on my fish scale to see how much it really does weigh because I'm curious now.
If I grab it right behind the pivot point of the hook then it balances perfectly.

Pendagator, that's a pretty good site, got any more sites in your favorites that have plans drawn up like that one? Like maybe one with plans for a 5'x12' light duty trailer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back