Timberking preformed well.. operator not so well:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I milled 120 bf of white Pine in an hour today... turning a 30" log by hand and alone is fun. I think I am putting that hydraulic chain turner on my christmas list:D. I did a video, but am waiting for photo bucket to aprove it and I will add a link when they do.
I will post some pics of my work when the sun comes back up.
Okay...time to admit the booboos;) I ran the band into my log stop once.....mill carrage does not pass the log loader when it is in the up position.... Oops....good thing this mill can take the abuse and I am a fast learner:D
100_0542.jpg

100_0541.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking mill. Now you know why I recomended a chain turner, they work great. Everyone has run into everything a time or two or three....... How does the head drive work, what makes it go? It's way different tham my B20. Steve

The drive head is hydraulic. It has a small hydraulic motor mounted abouve the engine that turns a chain and sprocket that turns a gearshaft that that runs down through the posts on the carriage and turns another sprocket that rides the chains mounted on the log bed. (you can dee them in the picture on the bed) I was doing well until I got down to the last cut on the first log and because I have the loader on the up hill side it did not sit down all the way and the cutting head hit it....no damage done as I was running it as slow as it would go.

12x12 cant
100_0544.jpg

The take
100_0545.jpg

next victim
100_0546.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome video, im now jealous!! LOL. Good job!!

Travis

Excellent :)

I run a swingblade Peterson myself, so turning those little 30" logs isn't an issue ;)

But with logs under that size a bandmill like yours is a great machine

Cheers

Ian

Cantcutter,
That's a real nice rig.
Cut those "pig ears" a little closer to the log, and you'll save yourself a lot of aggrivation (experience speaking, not bieing a smart a$$).

Andy

Ah, but can your Peterson cut 3/4 x 18 inch boards;)

Not easily...

But it can cut a 48"x3". Ok it's only one per log, but it's still an impressive board :D

table_slab.jpg

I'm not trying to run your mill down, they are a sweet machine for what we call 'small' logs :)

Cheers

Ian

Yeah the butt end of that log was only 30 inches, but it is getting close to the top of the mills capacity. I can mill any size log your mill can..... I just have to do a little trimming first;) Our virgin timber is long gone on the eastern and central parts of the country.... so most everything I come into contact with is "small". All of the pictures on NZ I have ever seen it was nothing but grassland.....where do you get the big logs and what do these trees look like while standing? Have any pics?

I didn't cut the log so that is why it is not trimmed properly.....next time I will break out the chainsaw and do some trimming first.... That one was harder to turn than the first one and it was smaller:0

Last edited:
... Our virgin timber is long gone on the eastern and central parts of the country.... so most everything I come into contact with is "small"...

True, the virgin old growth is mostly gone except for some protected areas like up in NW Pennsylvania in the national forest, BUT I run into many 3 ft dia (once in while even bigger) logs dropped in somebodies yard or field. Catch with them, other than they are often not in a place where you can take your time milling them and making a big mess, is they often have metal in the lower 6-8ft. Clothesline hooks... bird feeder hooks... sometimes ceramic insulators up higher.

This is a shot taken from our last milling expedition.

More shots on this thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40707

attachment.php

The trees there are old Monterey cypress from farm shelter belts planted about 70 years ago. They have got big and overgrown and need to be removed now. Hopefully all the trees in that pic are coming out over the summer if the landowner can organise a 20ton excavator to move the logs and rubbish out. The straight tree in the middle is a bluegum eucalyptus that we will saw as well. It looks like a stick in the picture, but it's about 4 ft DBH and a LONG way to the first branch. You can see the stump of the tree we did cut, stump was 54" across. That one was leaning the right way so I could fell it across the small stream and we could move the logs with the small excavator that was there at the time. The others will have to go the other way onto the hillside in the neighbours property and then we will will some machinery to drag them back and set them up for milling.

Cheers

Ian

Nice video, that head really moves up and down quick. Makes a lot of people jealous like me. My B20 goes up and down pretty quick but not that fast, but then mine has computer setworks which is real nice. Steve

Nice setup

The drive head is hydraulic. It has a small hydraulic motor mounted abouve the engine that turns a chain and sprocket that turns a gearshaft that that runs down through the posts on the carriage and turns another sprocket that rides the chains mounted on the log bed. (you can dee them in the picture on the bed) I was doing well until I got down to the last cut on the first log and because I have the loader on the up hill side it did not sit down all the way and the cutting head hit it....no damage done as I was running it as slow as it would go.

12x12 cant
100_0544.jpg

The take
100_0545.jpg

next victim
100_0546.jpg

Nice setup mate! have fun . Cheers MM

You guys have some nice picts, thanks for posting them...

Hey Cant... Try to get use to putting your logs on the mill with the top (small end) pointed toward the head. It gets the band started off "right" and you have less chance of the band wondering...

Turning big logs is a big job, but my mill has a winch log turner, and although it's on the slow side it does make turning bigger logs easy...

If i was going for something hydraulic, i wouldn't care one bit if the head went up and down manually, that's no big deal at all. I even prefer to push the head through the log, as it makes the bands last longer and you can "feel" what your doing. But, i'd take a hydraulic chain turner every time!

There's no way i'd want to be limited to 8" boards, as most customers want some wider boards... I can't imagine having to take the time to deal with the saw head on every log, just to get 5/4 x 12 boards. So a swing mill isn't for me...

Rob

I have decided that the location of the loader is a design flaw on the Timberking.... if you place the butt end away from the headsaw the added weight at the far end of the loader causes the log to tip up instead of loading onto the mill..... The loader really needs to be about three foot farther up the mill bed. Not a problem with short logs, but it is an issue with anything over about 12 ft. The one in the picture is loaded backwards because that is the direction the knuckle boom operator set it next to the mill and I did not want to turn it around by hand.

Back