Timberwolf Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a TW3HD with auto valve, any one have one or have a comment on my choice???

It's probably more splitter than I need, buy I've always believed in buying quality and planning on the future...

SR

I have a tw 5 and am really please with it. I thought about getting a 3pt but decided to leave the tractor free to move wood around. I would get the table or make one for it if you get one because that is really a back saver not having to bend over to pick up the splits. The timber wolf in general is a really well built machine.

I believe the auto cycle valve is not longer an option with Timber Wolf splitters.

I agree with captjack, an out feed table is a major back saver! Log lifts are mighty handy also.

I believe the auto cycle valve is not longer an option with Timber Wolf splitters.

I agree with captjack, an out feed table is a major back saver! Log lifts are mighty handy also.

When I first got my tw6 I was going to change out the valve for an auto valve. I don't really think it's necessary anymore. This thing keeps 3 guys running just like it is.
I wouldn't want it without the log lift. I don't know how you would get the big rounds up without it. Even if I'm splitting smaller rounds, it's nice to load a bunch of them on there to do all at once.

The outfeed table is great too. Resplits stay right there, and the rest gets pushed out of your way. And because of the gaps in the bars, most of the splitter trash falls through and stays out of the pile.

The auto valve means you don't have to have one guy just standing there working the sticks. IMO working the sticks is one of the biggest time killers when it comes to splitting. An outfeed table of some sort is a must...I wish the factory design was a little better for hanging it...sure it comes off easy for transport, but lets face it, not the sturdiest of designs when compared to the rest of the machine. Kinda like they took the day off when they came up with that one.

The auto valve means you don't have to have one guy just standing there working the sticks. IMO working the sticks is one of the biggest time killers when it comes to splitting. An outfeed table of some sort is a must...I wish the factory design was a little better for hanging it...sure it comes off easy for transport, but lets face it, not the sturdiest of designs when compared to the rest of the machine. Kinda like they took the day off when they came up with that one.
I understand how the auto valve works. You still have to pull the lever to get it going. If I had nothing but small stuff that went through 1 time I could see the need for an autovalve. But if you have to resplit the big ones your going to be standing there anyway. That's where the big ram comes in handy for super fast return time.

Great info guys, thanks for posting it, all the discussion is helping me with my decision...

I have an extra tractor, and I like the idea of running a splitter on diesel and giving "that" tractor more to do, so I'm thinking a 3 point splitter is what I want.

I didn't realize that the auto valve wasn't an option any longer! That was on my WANT list, so I need to figure out if that's a "deal breaker" for me, as they look pretty handy on the you-tubes of them in action!

As for the out feed table, i intended to either build one, or buy one, depending on what it cost as an option.

I don't know what other brand of splitter there is to compete with the TW3 HD??

SR

I am of the class of folks that think real splitters are built and not bought. From what I gather, the TW3 HD cost around $5-6000. If someone knows of a better price, please correct me. To me thats a lot of money for just a cylinder, HBeam, control valve, pump and tank, not to have its own engine. The Autocycle valves are only rated for 25gpm flow. TW gets their cycle speed by using a cylinder with a extra large rod. I believe they use a dump valve for cyl retraction to prevent all the oil returning to tank from passing thru the cycle valve. With a 25gpm pump, and a valve that would restrict flow, and that large cyl rod, thats about the only way they can get all the oil back to the tank without causeing excessive heat and back pressure on the control valve. AutoCycle can be accomplished without the use of the expensive autocycle valve, and with out the 25gpm restriction as well. I think if you do a little research, you can probably put together as good or better 3pt splitter as the TW3 and probably save a little money along the way.

The TW3HD from a dealer in Dallas quoted me $3500. The log lift, wedge lift and 6 way were all extra though. I plan to get the TW3HD also this spring when I get back to splitting. I'm like Sawyer Rob, I have a few tractors handy and it would be nice to use my tax-free farm diesel instead of gasoline to split my wood.
With the 3pt I don't believe the log lift would be necessary as you could just lower it down to the ground. I also like the fact that you can adjust the working height with the three point. Don't get me wrong I would love a TW5 or TW6 but I aint spending $10,000 on a new splitter. Especially since I have 3-4 tractors that I could use already.

Lucky, It is obvious you are not new to splitters, you have 4 listed. For about a $1,000 less, you could get a super splitter. A lot of firewood processors seem to really like them especially for the straighter grains rounds. You still have the other splitters for the really gnarly pieces. If you are splitting where there is electricity, you go electric & have a quiet machine as well.

Farm diesel is still higher than gas.

I started out with 3 pt splitter but quickly changed it to a stand alone for the next season.

I bought 3000 gals of farm diesel last week at $2.70 gal. Gas is $3.05 at the pump. Plus I don't have to go to the gas station and get it in those red gas cans, I have as much as I need.

I thought about the Super Splitter but I have three guys working for me and I just know one of them will lose a hand on that thing.

Home oil is just about $4 here....somebody needs to invent a gasoline fired burner :laugh:

I haven't been keeping up on splitters lately but after I bought my Timberwolfe I found a company in New York that made a much better machine for a much better prive. I'm thinking they were called American CLS or something. I remember they were built in Watertown New York. Check before you buy. Those Twolves are pricey, and like someone said. they are just basic parts.

Latest posts

Back