Timberwolf TW P1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After thinking about a TSC unit I am now thinking about this splitter. From what I have read it is made better and is a decent upgrade. How big of a deal is horizontal only? I have some BIG pieces to split but I could use a saw to cut them in half first. Anyone use this splitter? Any comparable splitters that also go vertical? Would the splitter take up a lot more room in a barn because it doesn't fold up?
How much would a TW horizontal and vertical splitter be? Thanks

You will find that a horizontal only will be much nicer to split with. If you get one with a log lift you will be much better off. Speaking from experience here with a bad back, I always was more sore after trying to wrestle those big pcs underneath the Splitter in the vertical position. Have a timberwolf myself with a hydraulic log lift and it is worth every penny I paid for it. Once you use a log lift, you will never think of a vertical again. Timberwolf make the best Splitter out there. You will not be dissapointed in choosing them.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Any dealers in the DC area? I called and they told me there is one in Va Beach but I am hoping for something closer

Cant speak for the tw-1p but i know that my tw-5 has held up to the utmost with everything i have put on it. And the dealer in Va beach is the one that I got mine from. If you call down there and talk to them i asked to demo one first and they did come to my place to do so. Then once I bout it the dealer drove it up here him self. And the funny part is he then wanted a cord of wood so I sold him a load lol. And I do know that they will be just out side Richmond this weekend of the 16,17, and 18 for a thing called "Field days of the past" demoing some of there stuff.

TW-P1 owner here, got mine used last year for $1300. Its now less than 3 years old.

I targeted horizontal only for a few reasons:
4-way wedge cuts down splitting time, and I feel much better with the wedge on the beam
Big rounds are noodled on site, I load a pickup, so if I can't lift onto the splitter I sure as hell can't onto the p/u bed
I've used vertical splitters, and wrestling monsters on the ground isn't that much easier than rolling up a ramp or noodling

The latest addition was set of log tongs. After getting 5 cords of green red oak from an ad on CL, with the homeowner saving me the time of noodling and helping me load the big boys, tongs on the FEL saved my back big and saved a good amount of time.

If I didn't find a used one, I probably would have bought the TSC Huskee 22 ton, and from the reviews here, been pretty happy. However, I can turn around and sell mine and not lose a penny too for a few years I'd expect.

I have been waiting for the same model at a rental area to go on sale. It has the extension table and manual log lift. I was hoping to grab it for around $1000 to $1500.

While waiting I bought for $500 a rental Speeco with 8 hp 240GX honda and 16gpm pump, gives it a 12 second cycle time.

Now I am not so sure I want to pursue the Timberwolf...

gg

You will find that a horizontal only will be much nicer to split with. If you get one with a log lift you will be much better off. Speaking from experience here with a bad back, I always was more sore after trying to wrestle those big pcs underneath the Splitter in the vertical position. Have a timberwolf myself with a hydraulic log lift and it is worth every penny I paid for it. Once you use a log lift, you will never think of a vertical again. Timberwolf make the best Splitter out there. You will not be dissapointed in choosing them.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I would have to concur with Chiefs. I have a NS 22ton splitter with vertical option. Trying to wrestle the big pieces under the splitter can be a huge pain. In hindsight, I definitely would look at a horizontal only with log lift option. Plus I believe the TW has a table to keep the split rounds off the ground after splitting, another great feature I dont have!

After using the speeco for a little while in horizontal position only I like the fact that the pieces aren't pushed away from you. It makes the resplits easy because pieces are always right in front of you.

I am wondering if the fixed wedge cause more moving pieces back and forth.

Even with the speeco being able to go vertical I will most likely noodle big pieces to a size that I can lift.

gg

I have a TW-1 with the table grate 4 way, and manual log lift. The log lift works great. U would be surprised the size rounds that will handle. I have lifted 24"+ green oak rounds without a problem. I have split many cord with my TW-1, and plan too split many more. IMO well worth the money...

I deal w/ a lot of big wood. When I rebuild the splitter this winter, I'll most likely do away w/ the vert. option. Most of my wood comes from tree services/ CL & has to be blocked down to manageable size before it ever sees the splitter. Your situation may vary, & I know there are some here that like vert. splitting. That said, even having a skid steer to push the big stuff to the vert. splitter, I never use it that way.

Update :
In the DC area there are no dealers that carry these (they can only be ordered and they know nothing about them) and they run 3000 not including the lift or the table. I think that is too much. Any others to consider? Best one for 2k or so?

Latest posts

Back