Time for a new saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic2397

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been climbing on a Buckingham Classic for 4 years now. I am a big supporter of Buckingham as they are made in the US and more so in my hometown. My other climber has me convinced that a bosun seat style harness is the way to go, so I am definately looking for a bosun seat in my next saddle purchase. I basically have it narrowed down to the Buckingham Ergovation or the Petzl Sequoia Swing. The Ergovation is much more expensive especially once you add in the bosun seat attachment, but it seems to be much more versatile. The Sequoia seems very nice and considerably less. I am looking for input on these two saddles, but if anyone can recommend a different saddle, I'll look into that as well. If anyone has used both please give some feedback on which one you liked better and why. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Luke:msp_confused:

I have been using the Petzl Mini Boss ,which is similar to the Sequoia Swing, for 2 years or so. It's a nice saddle . Very comfortable and has served me well. I cannot comment on the Ergovation as I have never climbed in one. With most higher end saddles you are not going to have the clips and rope rings that come on most traditional saddles. You will have to customize it yourself. I am a bosun seat guy myself. I never could get comfortable with a leg loop saddle. I have heard good things about the Buckingham Pinnacle which is a bosun seat saddle. I am planning on buying one myself in the future to check out.

I bought a ergavation a little while back, and I love it. Very comfortable and you can adjust just about all the parts to fit you right. I really like it because you can replace a piece of the harness if needed without having to get a whole new saddle.

I love my Ergovation. It's the only saddle I've ever had that I could adjust the weight distribution between the leg straps and the belt. If you buy one, you might try it without the bosun seat as it's pretty comfy right out of the box when adjusted.
Phil

I have been climbing on a Buckingham Classic for 4 years now. I am a big supporter of Buckingham as they are made in the US and more so in my hometown. My other climber has me convinced that a bosun seat style harness is the way to go, so I am definately looking for a bosun seat in my next saddle purchase. I basically have it narrowed down to the Buckingham Ergovation or the Petzl Sequoia Swing. The Ergovation is much more expensive especially once you add in the bosun seat attachment, but it seems to be much more versatile. The Sequoia seems very nice and considerably less. I am looking for input on these two saddles, but if anyone can recommend a different saddle, I'll look into that as well. If anyone has used both please give some feedback on which one you liked better and why. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You still live in Bing?

ergovation is a great saddle no doubt, I bought a treemotion when I should have bought an ergovation. Treemotion comes in a one size fits all package, and I didnt realise until after I mail order purchased it that one size means anyone up to 36". Ergovation is available in 3 sizes. I've climbed in a borrowed one a few times and was very impressed.

If you're a heavier guy then go ergovation. If you're skinnier then sequoia. Do try without the bosun seat as suggested, I find they crack my nuts for no added comfort. Depends on your climbing style though....

Shaun

Go with the edge! its made by buckingham and they will be a seat coming out for it pretty soon im told by buckingham. my previous saddle was a buck versatile with the seat and i loved it. the seats are great for removals but if you do more pruning you want a saddle with alot of mobility. the edge saddle is the "baby" version of the ergovation and its 200 bucks cheaper.

I bought a tree motion first and then I started reading the book and it said its only rated for 100 kg or 220 lbs + - so I had to return that one and got a ergavation.

I have a sequoia and really like it alot. I have never tried an ergovation but I think it looks like a great saddle. I actually have considered getting one but havent worn out the petzl yet. Truth is, considering the price, I would most likely buy another sequoia.

Also, I am on the bigger side for a climber (260 lbs) and have no problem at all with a standard sequoia.

Last edited:
I use a glide II. I have been looking at getting a new one with a lil more comfortable fit and padding. I'm interested in the same saddle. Anyone have anything good to say about them? Not worried about brand, just want the most comfortable. A nice suspender system would be nice too. Can't keep my saddle tight. Always works loose and hangs low. Not comfortable at all.

Last edited:
You still live in Bing?

No, I'm not in Bingo anymore. Moved to Rochester after I graduated college. Thanks everyone for the input. I might be even more confused now though. Anyone know of a vendor our there that lets you "test drive" a saddle for a little while before buying? BTW, I am probably on the average size for climbers, 5'10" 185lbs if that helps at all too. Thanks again

American arborist in west chester, pa has a place in the store that you can hang from a harness. I hung in the ergavation for about 40 mins before spending the money on a harness. I know they are going to the expo, and there prices are really fair.

ive climbed in a few different saddles im 190cm tall an 100kgs, and love my tree austria, found the buckinghams cut in to my legs or when in the seat my package was crushed.

Go with the edge! its made by buckingham and they will be a seat coming out for it pretty soon im told by buckingham. my previous saddle was a buck versatile with the seat and i loved it. the seats are great for removals but if you do more pruning you want a saddle with alot of mobility. the edge saddle is the "baby" version of the ergovation and its 200 bucks cheaper.

I just got an edge last week and I'd recommend it too. It has lots of adjustability, it's light, and it's much more comfortable than my old buckingham pinnacle 4D seat. There's minimal nut crush from the leg loops which was a concern for me coming from a seat. :)

I just got an edge last week and I'd recommend it too. It has lots of adjustability, it's light, and it's much more comfortable than my old buckingham pinnacle 4D seat. There's minimal nut crush from the leg loops which was a concern for me coming from a seat. :)

:agree2:

Yeah, that's the one. I used to climb with the floating D version of that saddle. It was nice and comfy but I am not crazy about a step through saddle (like I have now).

very first saddle i owned, buddy. still got it too. it is very similar to the miniboss we got and speaking of the floppy rings on the miniboss did you ever end up using a spreader snap with it? i went from rope bridge to the spreader and reeeaaallly liked the result. i too am now looking into another saddle as the miniboss is starting to get beat up.

i maaay have a good look at the pinnacle again (my first one is too small) but really want to take a hard look at the ergovation with the suspenders and obviously a seat too but problem is that with them 2 options the saddle becomes like 700bones..... lotta scratch for a rig but i gotta question the ergo's durability at that number. you know the buckingham will last but them floppy rings might be too long compared to the miniboss......

what else you thinking of, larry? ever hear of the bry-dan saddle? if that thing came with a seat i'd be all over it.

I've had my EDGE for maybe 6 months now, and I really like it. It's light weight, yet well padded. So far its holding up well with no signs of ware. For the money, it's a lot of belt. It does what it suppose to and I hardly know I have it on, even at the end of the day. Very conferable.

I thought the gear loops looked all caddie wompuss on the edge. Seemed like the loops along the top were out of place. I dont doubt its comfy though.

Luke
I have both the Ergovation and the Sequoia so first let me say they are both great saddles and both floating bridge, after that they are very different. The Ergo is 6lbs. and bulky where the Sequoia is 3 lbs. and fits close like a pair of favorite climbing pants. Both can do any job but I prefer the Ergo for long day removals because it has a lot of padding, great back support and you can load up with tons of gear including the kitchen sink and an MS460 so your not wasting time waiting for groundies to send things up onsey twoseys. I have had a dozen or more aluminum biners with loop runners when speed lining, half a dozen steel rigging biners and loopie on one side with half a dozen life safety biners a few loops and pulleys for redirects, my Ibuki, a 20' positioning lanyard or steel core flip line and a saw 200T-MS460. Bulky and heavy yes, but on spurs using your largest muscle group,legs, and removing whatever branches that are in the way makes manuvering easy. Versatile yes- two different fall restraint options, about 8 bridge configuration as well as 3 different leg strap styles and bosun seat, dont forget unlimited adjustability in every way fron size to balance point.
The Sequoia is amazing in its own respect that it is very comfortable, super streamlined, weighs nothing and is pretty adjustable in its own respect. It gives good back support, cooler in the summer and really shines when deadwooding or working in a tight canopy when you are working and manuvering through tight crotches and structure. I go minimal gear on it, leave the kitchen sink and excess stuff behind.

Since I have switched to these saddles pinch points, hip squeeze and the infamous and very uncomfortable crushing of the old twig and berries is a thing of the past!

I dont think you could go wrong with either and both is best! But if you can try them out first like at the Expo that would be best.
Too bad your so far west, I would be glad to let you try mine.
Scrat

Latest posts

Back