Time for a new saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good post, scrat. thanks.

so you saying that the ergo, all dialed in, is a devastating takedown rig, eh? sweet. did you go with the seat or loops and would you get the suspenders?

I thought the gear loops looked all caddie wompuss on the edge. Seemed like the loops along the top were out of place. I dont doubt its comfy though.

Yeah, whats up with all those gear loops on top? I still haven't figured them out. I"m going to buy a chest croll ascender harness made for a sequoia saddle and use one of them loops to fix it to my Edge. The edge is a good SRT belt also, if your into that.
Beastmaster

Good post Scrat. I'm going to give the ergo a second look after that. I agree about the Petzl. They are very light and very comfy.

Justin, I have been looking at all of them. My Mini Boss is getting a little beat up but it's still functional. I am wanting to get something with a little more padding and will handle the load of a 440 or 660 better in the tree. If I had it to do over again I would probably have bought the full Boss saddle with the suspenders.

Old dirty
I went with the leg loops and I am very happy with them. You can get the 'Y' or 'H' harness and although I think I would prefer the 'H' for comfort around the neck I am impressed that the 'Y' looks to be better suited for using a chest croll for SRT, it is a fall restraint with I believe both Dorsal and Sternum attachment points, and looks like it has more lateral movement flexability. But to really be able give a fair evaluation I would have use it a while, until then it is just my assumptions.
Scrat

Just to put it out there, on one of the other boards an individual was complaining that on his Ergo the velcro on the leg straps was geting dirty and loaded up with sawdust and not sticking well in only a few months. He said he tried cleaning and washing without much luck. I have been using mine a year without issue and told him I blow off the straps with high pressure shop air regularly.

Just to put it out there, on one of the other boards an individual was complaining that on his Ergo the velcro on the leg straps was geting dirty and loaded up with sawdust and not sticking well in only a few months. He said he tried cleaning and washing without much luck. I have been using mine a year without issue and told him I blow off the straps with high pressure shop air regularly.

It also looked like he was missing a retaining snap on his harness too.

I was looking at the Treemotion, but only goes to a 30" waist. Im a 28" at the start of the day, must be a 27" at the end. I pull mine to the last point, but after working, still gets loose. Wish they made them down to a 26, to account for them loosening up as ya work.

I thought the gear loops looked all caddie wompuss on the edge. Seemed like the loops along the top were out of place. I dont doubt its comfy though.

I thought they were weird too. I keep my f8 on a biner on them and other stuff that I don't use much. Having stuff like that on loops higher ups keeps it up behind the back padding and out from under your ass if you have a seat. I'm not sure if that's why they did it but I did end up liking it.

buckingham ergovation pro.
Tree Stuff - Buckingham Ergovation Pro Saddle
i have the ergovation and love it it is the best saddle ever amd i can honestly say my weaver cougar with a bosun seat is my second favorite and i havent had a single prob with it. I just have a failsafe rope bridge installed with the stock bridge. the ergovation is still much better.
jason

I love my sequioa

My buddy up in Ames at Dan's has an ergovation and he loves his as well.

For me, lighter is usually better, so that's why I haven't bothered to try the Ergo; anything I get from here on out's gotta be as light as the one I have now. I will say though, that if you read all the reviews, people have said that the stitching comes out of the ERgo, in like less than a year. But my buddy said he's not had that problem with his, so you'll have to read the reviews and see the updates.

One thing to point out with the sequioa is that the rings are removable, so its VERY VERY easy to swap out rope bridges, straps, or any configuration on that thing. I use a petzl ring on the bridge they provide with the saddle, which keeps my carabiners from spreading apart from each other, depending on what system I'm using. The only one thing I haven't liked about it is sometimes that ring will catch on their bridge if I'm stretched out all the way so the ring can get slightly caught one end of the bridge. other than that, its my favorite. that issue could be easily solved if I get a new or different bridge though.

I have another friend who's got the glide lite, and its very comfortable as well. I think they just clearanced a bunch of those on sherills website recently.

I'd say, if you want lightweight and more mobility, go with the sequioa, but if you're going to be doing a lot of sitting up there, go with the ergo.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by either one.

I know this is an old thread but it's a timeless subject.....

I am going to visit my brother tomorrow and will hang in his TreeMotion and his Ergo back to back to help me decide on my next saddle. I tend to go for comfort over weight these days.

One thing I don't understand is why the ergo and other B saddles don't have a bigger ring at the terminations of the rope bridge (plates). The holes are all rope or biner sizes while the TM has connect holes almost as big as a regular D. I really like that.

My primary lanyards have snaps on the working end, and don't look to fit on a Ergo lower connect point. My snaps need a min of about 1 inch opening :msp_sad:

Last edited:
Spent a little time with the ergo and tm yesterday. I brought one of my brother's TM saddles home with me to try for a couple weeks to get a better idea of what I think.

So far I think the Ergo is slightly more comfortable for someone a touch wimpy and soft (5'10 and currently 185) esp with lots of gear, saw, etc.

Tm seems maybe only less comfortable for me (so far) and obviously lighter and more nimble.

For me one of my hangups on buying an ergo is how the lower connecting plates won't accept a alum rope snap and in fact really don't quite fully accept my captive eye biner I have on one of my lanyards.

The TM has huge rings on the lower connections (almost bigger than necessary). I really like that aspect. I have a little extra in the belly these days (sad but true) and one thing that bothers me about the TM is how narrow the waist strap is as compared to any other saddle. I dont' know what they were thinking. In fact the Ergo not only has a wide strap, they have that velcro belly pad for us Americans who are packing an extra 10 lbs....

My next step will be to climb in the TM for a while and then maybe borrow his Ergo.

Funny as it sounds, if the Ergo had a bigger extra connection point on the saddle/rope bridge I would be very close to just buying one or if the TM had a wider waist strap I might just try one of those.....Both seem like great saddles.

To be fair, one of the things my brother likes better about the ergo (although these days he usually works in one of his TMs) is that the multiple small holes in the buckingham plates make it easier when he runs an adjustable rope bridge. Although if sleeping in a tree hammock he says the TM is a no brainer.

I also borrowed his Uni and some other stuff including 350ft of a really low stretch rope for playing with long ascents using mechanical ascenders. Never tried a uni yet....

And I stopped by Wesspur and picked up some more HRC to put on my HH. IMO it works much better than the beeline the HH came with.....

Last edited:
The big lower D's on the TM are very nice. I got a TM finally after Thanksgiving and am extremely happy with it. My saddle when I first posted in this thread was an edge from sherrill, which is basically and ergo lite.

I did the liger mod to the edge and considered that a big improvement. I was clipping into the largest hole on the rigging plates with my lanyard for a while. Eventually I decided that every small mod I made to the saddle was just making it closer to how a TM functions.

I'd have no problem recommending an edge/ergo lite but those big lower D's on the TM are very nice.

I had also heard about guys saying they had to spend a long time dialing in their TM. I think I spent about 10 minutes hanging in it and adjusting the bridge length and straps to get it to sit comfortably. Not a big deal at all.

HRC is nice on the HH. Give some armor prus a shot too. It works very well with my imori.

The big lower D's on the TM are very nice. I got a TM finally after Thanksgiving and am extremely happy with it. My saddle when I first posted in this thread was an edge from sherrill, which is basically and ergo lite.

I did the liger mod to the edge and considered that a big improvement. I was clipping into the largest hole on the rigging plates with my lanyard for a while. Eventually I decided that every small mod I made to the saddle was just making it closer to how a TM functions.

I'd have no problem recommending an edge/ergo lite but those big lower D's on the TM are very nice.

I had also heard about guys saying they had to spend a long time dialing in their TM. I think I spent about 10 minutes hanging in it and adjusting the bridge length and straps to get it to sit comfortably. Not a big deal at all.

HRC is nice on the HH. Give some armor prus a shot too. It works very well with my imori.

I spent a couple hours in the TM today and liked it. I didn't adjust it that much from my brother's setting, except waist and legs. (He's about my size but much trimmer.) Felt light and comfortable. My brother runs his leg loops much looser than I am used to but I tried that and sort of liked it much more than I expected.

Still think the waist belt should be wider. But I LOVED the lower D's and no longer can imagine being without them. Hopefully tomorrow I can spend some more time getting used to it.

I have never climbed with a rope bridge ring before, and was surprised how much more easily it slid side to side than a biner. But not quite as free as a roller on a pulley. Liked it.

I still plan to hang in an ergo back to back with the TM, but got to say I am liking the TM a lot so far.

In the meantime I have obtained both CT and RE mini plates to consider a liger mod on my current saddle. Like some things about each plate as a candidate. But like you say, each step is simply making it closer to a "real" saddle.

Last edited:
checkout bucks new ergolite spartan. (same as the edge basically) its lighter than the ergo but with more padding than the seqouiah. has the same awesome rope bridge setup as its big brother. wesspur is the only place ive seen em. i think im getting one soon

I can't imagine being without that lower lanyard attachment point. When I got my Cougar in the spring I tried it on and felt bound across the hips. I did the Liger upgrade with CT rigging plates, big hole out, and a three foot section of my new climbing line with two rings, before I even climbed in it. All permanent ropes are in the small holes. Took a little adjusting on the bridge length, but no bound hips, and free running attachments. That lower secondary lanyard attachment is AWESOME, no doubled up rope clips, NO confusion as to which rope clip to undo/don't touch.

That being said, the Cougar doesn't have enough utility space. It's been a good entry level saddle, but I am so saving up for the TM.

I can't imagine being without that lower lanyard attachment point. When I got my Cougar in the spring I tried it on and felt bound across the hips. I did the Liger upgrade with CT rigging plates, big hole out, and a three foot section of my new climbing line with two rings, before I even climbed in it. All permanent ropes are in the small holes. Took a little adjusting on the bridge length, but no bound hips, and free running attachments. That lower secondary lanyard attachment is AWESOME, no doubled up rope clips, NO confusion as to which rope clip to undo/don't touch.

That being said, the Cougar doesn't have enough utility space. It's been a good entry level saddle, but I am so saving up for the TM.

I ligered my cougar with the RE plates and some short webbing between my leg loops and plate and it is so much an improvement. I now hang perfectly. Can't imagine now having a non adjustable bridge without floating rings and a place to clip in at the plate. Could absolutely never climb on a stock cougar again. For extra storage I hooked a Kong paddle biner on each side where there is a place made for it. Really helps. Stole the idea from one of my brothers saddles.

But I had one of his TM's borrowed for a while and now one of his ergos so I am spoiled enough I will eventually buy one of those two for myself.

But I have to say with some mods my cougar was absolutely transformed in terms of comfort and usability. Only finally got around to it after trying better saddles and realizing what I was missing. Main complaint now is the side d as too far back for me and not adjustable.

Latest posts

Back