Time for a second / Alternate Saw - Stihl MS ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading your posting on want`s and needs/requirements for your new saw I would suggest my favorite saw if you can still find one. The MS 440 is getting hard to find new but are rock solid ,the MS460 is just as good and a bit more torqueier . Either one with a muffler mod is about all the saw any non professional arborist or logger would require.I personally stay away from saws like the MS 441 until they are out for a few years and they either get the bugs worked out and they have time to prove themselves as reliable . Just my opinion. Pioneerguy600

Yasha, Pioneerguy and others,
Very good points on the 400 series. We have the Husky 372xp and the 460 Mag rescue versions and they are beasts. I have cut through everything with the carbide chains on them and they rip well. I even fell through a roof with the 460R b/c it cut through a metal plate support we did not realize was taking load due to a poorly designed truss: It cut fast, I fell faster. I do share a similar concern on the 441 wrt it being new, largely concerned with the electronic carb on it, not sure if the rest has been heavily redesigned over the 440. It sounds like what may be the hot setup for me would be a 440 w/20" bar, that should be comparable to a 460 w/24 or 28" bars. The 361 is starting to fade a bit in wake of more HP. I think the 365 was 3.4 kW/4.6 HP. My main difficulty will be finding the 440 here. I have only seen the 441 on my dealers shelf, I will have to ask - unless you folks want to use me as a further test pig on the 441. I have no anxst on the 460 series, they just seem overkill since I will be running a 20" bar. Looks like some phone calls to be made a visit to the dealers for the 4th time. They are thinking I am crying wolf. I had three trees down last night during the tornado watch, had to hook them to my pickup and drag them out of the way to get to the fire house. :clap: :clap: Things always intensify when I most need them it appears. Please weigh in on the 441/440. Any parts availability issues for the 440?
I am assuming an ES bar, yellow, roller chain catcher, double dogs, full wrap?

Thanks,
Fitz

I am also thinking of making the new saw my primary, I would be amiss if I bought the new one and let it sit. Technology is likely better to some degree, if not my curiosity.

Also - how are you guys dealing with the increased amount of ethanol in the gas at the pumps? Eats up fuel hoses around here.:( :( Among other things mine is partially in the shop getting that #@#$ curly line replaced again. My dealer said to:
1) Put sea-foam in the fuel, it is a lubrication additive we run in all our trucks/equipment here at the fire dept. xtra lube, cleans, stabilizes (so it says..) and appears to help.
2) Never leave the saw dry
3) Never run it out of fuel if you can help it
4) Pro loggers that use their saws 5-6 days a week do not appear to have these issues.

He said it is not just Husky, he is getting everything in, started 1.5-2 yrs ago. Anyone else seeing this?

I live close to a Husky and Stihl dealer. Sometimes the Stihl dealer works on my Husky and vice versa.
I never really understood the "I'm closer to this dealer brand, so I'm buying this brand". Not that's there's nothing wrong with it.
But if you own a Husky and you like it then why not another Husky. If it's' something only the Husky dealer can work on or order, so what you have the back up now.
If I already had a 365 and wanted a bigger back up saw than I get a 372xp.
If you do, I'm willing to bet your find yourself putting down the 365 and picking up the 372 along more. Plus you can enter change some parts like the bars.
Just my 2 cents.

I live close to a Husky and Stihl dealer. Sometimes the Stihl dealer works on my Husky and vice versa.
I never really understood the "I'm closer to this dealer brand, so I'm buying this brand". Not that's there's nothing wrong with it.
But if you own a Husky and you like it then why not another Husky. If it's' something only the Husky dealer can work on or order, so what you have the back up now.
If I already had a 365 and wanted a bigger back up saw than I get a 372xp.
If you do, I'm willing to bet your find yourself putting down the 365 and picking up the 372 along more. Plus you can enter change some parts like the bars.
Just my 2 cents.

Banshee,
You are perfectly correct in the above assessment. For that matter I could try to find another 365 and be perfectly happy. I am really weighing having parts and service 15 min away vs. an hr. With the internet I buy from Baileys or Jacks Small Engine and I try to keep stuff stocked. It is the immediate repair that has me concerned. But the shop has had it for a week so I am not sure how fast being close is helping me.
I am going to have a look at the Stihls today again and reflect on the 372XP.

Thanks for the comment.
Fitz

If you can find a MS440 then by all means snatch it up!!

Realistically your probably not gonna find one, if you want something close to what you have with a little more snort get the 372. If you want a real "git'er done" saw the MS460 with a 20" bar and 8-pin sprocket (sprocket is less than $5.00 when you get the saw) is plain old fun, get the dual port cover and it gets even better. and you always have the option to run up to a 32" bar if and when you need it.

Just my opinion but I'd get the MS460 with the 20" bar and add the dual port cover, 8-pin sprocket, and a MS361 roller chain catcher (small dual spike) kit. Make your dealer throw in one of the orange Stihl saw cases to keep it in along with your files, wedges, spare chains, spare plugs, rim sprocket, scrench, and such. A real easy way to keep it all together and quick and easy to grab and go when you need it and helps to protect it when it's rattling around in the back of the truck. A real plus for someone in you position. ;)

Everything you need to go cut. (except your chaps and ax)
attachment.php

Got to have spare parts and back up chains.... just in case
attachment.php

Where the H:censored:L did it all go????
attachment.php

All packed up........ ready to grab it and go.
attachment.php

I have the 044(MS440) and the MS460 and if I had to pick just one to own it would be the MS460, it’s a little heavier but it’s just plain more useful.

(Yeah I know thats the 044 in the case but my 460 is a west coast saw with the 3/4 wrap and the large spikes, it wont fit in the case..... and that particular 044 will spank it anyway :laugh: )

+1 on the MS460.

Have now run 8 tanks of fuel through my new 460.
If money is not the issue, buy the 460. Its not too much.
I stepped up from a 260pro. It now will be strictly a light duty
limbing and campfire wood saw. This 460 is the first 70cc class
saw I have owned and I can not believe the time and effort expended
that would have been saved had I had one many moons ago.
The 460 will easily cut in half your cutting time, it has mine.
At first it felt a little heavy, not for long. It feels great in my hands
and feels even better in the cut, its not heavy at all once you stick her
in some wood. You will not regret it.

I love mine, it has been a great, great saw for me.

Cool, but that is a model that I would make sure to avoid, due to power to weight, and the "fat-ass" look - LOL

I wouldn't avoid it.
Who cares about the weight? I sink that bar into a large oak tree and it rips away, I don't feel the weight.
I don't carry it around the woods, I cut wood with it. It is a great saw.
I like the 'fat-ass' look of it, but I don't buy saws for the looks, I buy for the cutting ability.
I finished off a 24" diameter white oak last weekend without much effort.
Great saw, worth the money.

Last edited:
I wouldn't avoid it.
Who cares about the weight? I sink that bar into a large oak tree and it rips away, I don't feel the weight.
I don't carry it around the woods, I cut wood with it. It is a great saw.
I like the 'fat-ass' look of it, but I don't buy saws for the looks, I buy for the cutting ability.
I finished off a 24" diameter white oak last weekend without much effort.
Great saw, worth the money.

Sure, but the 372xp probably will do the same, with a lot more grace, and less weight and bulk......:D :ices_rofl:

Sorry, never ran a 441, and don't want to either - I base my wiew on Tom Halls posts, reading a bit between the lines (not really, but it sounded funny).

:D

Last edited:
My 1989 Stihl 044 is still running very strong as usual for me. But like myself its getting old too. I need an upgrade.After 20 years of loyal tough service its now time to try the offspring of the little 044. I like the looks of the 441.

I just wish they could make the 441's oversized airfilter housing a little smaller, to make it a little more compact and streamlined. In my saw lineup the 441 would be running a 18" bar for alround high speed felling, limbing and topping , my bigger saws with longer bars do their own business in bigger wood. The 441 fat assed air filter housing takes away from its limbing capabilities in the 6 point limbing technique.

Stihl should go back to their old way of design, make the oversized airfilter an option or make the smaller streamlined housing an option vice versa.

Willard.:popcorn:

Last edited:
Spent some time with some saws today

Folks,

Visited the Stihl store today and handled everything he had. This was strictly a take apart and look process today. Some of my observations / questions:
1) Not sure if it matters but the 361 has a plastic handle whereas the 441 and up have metal, like my current H365. Weight savings etc....I guess but this troubles me as I have really pulled on my handle a few times in some bad rescue situations. I think the Husky is Aluminum.
2) The air filtration is more of a 2-stage on the 441, the 361 is "normal".
3) It appears from the three 361 models I saw that you have to go into the 441 series to get a machine from Germany, all the other models below were made in Va Beach - good, bad? The 441 has a real clear plate stating this, similar to my Sweden. Parts imported and assembled.
4) Head weight balance feels better on the 361. The 441 overall feel alot like the current 365 in terms of overall weight and in-balance of the powerhead.

The 441 has been out for 2 yrs? Not sure of the carb system, it is getting decent reviews. Ruling out the 372XP since with some baseline mods I can bump the 365 up. So it is still a lower (361) or higher (441, 460, 385xp, 390xp, 395 xp).

Jim

Folks,

Visited the Stihl store today and handled everything he had. This was strictly a take apart and look process today. Some of my observations / questions:
1) Not sure if it matters but the 361 has a plastic handle whereas the 441 and up have metal, like my current H365. Weight savings etc....I guess but this troubles me as I have really pulled on my handle a few times in some bad rescue situations. I think the Husky is Aluminum.

Never broken one of the plastic handles and don't know anybody who has (barring being run over)

3) It appears from the three 361 models I saw that you have to go into the 441 series to get a machine from Germany, all the other models below were made in Va Beach - good, bad? The 441 has a real clear plate stating this, similar to my Sweden. Parts imported and assembled.

Va. Beach is :buttkick: kicking Germanys arse when it comes to quality. :clap: :rock:

4) Head weight balance feels better on the 361. The 441 overall feel alot like the current 365 in terms of overall weight and in-balance of the powerhead.

Of the two I'd take the MS361...... but why??? You already have a 60cc saw.

The 441 has been out for 2 yrs? Not sure of the carb system, it is getting decent reviews. Ruling out the 372XP since with some baseline mods I can bump the 365 up. So it is still a lower (361) or higher (441, 460, 385xp, 390xp, 395 xp).

Jim

I'm not buying a Strat saw until I'm forced to, and if your gonna carry the weight of the 460 why not have the power...... get the 460. ;)

For me Stihl killed the small 70cc saw option when they dropped the MS440, I'd take a 372 over a 441 any day of the week and I'm a dyed in the wool Stihl fan. I think the 441 was put out to "test" some ideas in the market and finally kill the 044 line.

Latest posts

Back