Time to air grievences!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He said he isn't fond of the wooden handles anyway, he likes something like the fiskars synthetic, which combines incredible strength and no shock. I have found the same thing, I have beaucoup cords under my belt with the fiskars, and maybe 1/3rd cord with the husky/wetterlings and the handle is already ablating below the head, and I am a good aim with axes. I expected some wear, but not this much this fast. I have retired it for the most part. I don't dislike it, just..fiskars works a lot better for me. I am planning on adding some sort of under the head wood guard to the husky axe before I use it again. Blasting through stringy wood, you get wear right there, it is unavoidable.

I would imagine as much wood as he splits, he can aim OK. The CT axe just had bad quality control and shipped with a not so great wooden handle, and it broke early on using it. And when you get a brand new axe, takes ya a few swings to get the range, they all swing a tad different, at least to me anyway.

Thanks Zogger. :cheers:Pretty much sums it up.

1) Every member of my family except me had the flu this weekend or has it right now. Guess who is going to have it just in time for Christmas. I swear I'm always sick for New Years, Christmas, and Thanksgiving.

2) Our travel to the cabin is postponed until wife feels good enough to drive the other vehicle. Which means it probably won't be until I'm coming down with/have this damn flu.

3) I've got a shitload of revenue producing work to get done by New Years and all kinds of piddly stuff keeps popping up that I need to take care of first.

4) Because I'm going to end up working at least two days next week (had planned vacation for the whole week), I'm going to miss out on prime cutting conditions (reasonably temps and no snow, an uncommon combination for late December in MN)

5) The gas gauge in my truck. I can drive 100 miles after filling and the gauge is still pegged on full. But the last 1/4 tank lasts exactly 35 miles. The last 1/8 tank is only good for 5 miles. Deceptive!!!
Follow up to 1)

Christmas Day morning at about 8:30 started feeling a little off. Had some brunch but was in bed by 11 am and have been there since. Oh well, I guess I'm getting an early jump start on the New Years diet.

On a better note, I got an 8 hour burn with big chunks of Norway pine overnight. New record for me.

Follow up to 1)

Christmas Day morning at about 8:30 started feeling a little off. Had some brunch but was in bed by 11 am and have been there since. Oh well, I guess I'm getting an early jump start on the New Years diet.

On a better note, I got an 8 hour burn with big chunks of Norway pine overnight. New record for me.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, can't get much wood split laying in bed. :chop:

(1. Sick and tired of the dam mud this is Michigan where is the snow.
(2. Daughter came home for Christmas, Cell phone never left her hand, felt like I was interrupting her face book time of texting with friends. Sending her away again on Saturday, don't come back with a dam cell phone or I will drown you.
(3. Ask about a manual sourse for a transmission and get 15 answers water is in it. Really? Ain't even oil in the dam thing.
(4. DNR puke took 24 days to answer my phone call report all poaching. Got to be a fat pig like the county sheriff guys

(5 Did I mention the dam mud?

(1. Good firearm deer season
(2. good Muzzle loader season
(3. daughter really is still alive
(4. Daughters phone works if you call her to talk, even though she is in the same ro
(5. warm weather although damp is good on the wood supply.

:D Al

Yeah, I try not to complain. If I wake up with a pulse and am sucking in air it's a good day by my diminished standards. Even better if the wife is frisky.

Sunshine and bright skies here in upstate NY. First time in a month. Got out with the MS 460 chainsaw, John Deere tractor and Speeco splitter and harvested about a half cord of gnarly twisted hickory that was encroaching on my power lines. That was a nice belated Christmas present for me. If the sun is out again tomorrow I'll get more. I even got a bit of a sunburn. :) Muscles know they were used, beer was cold and tasty. It was a good day.

Best of all the Mother-In-Law went home.

Amen Zogger.

I can't believe this attempt at an argument is still dragging on.

Anyone who claims to NEVER have over strikes is flat out lying, period.

Not true! I don't, and my aim is not the greatest. At least side to side, but front to back must be good cause I never overstrike.

hsell - my V-10 is a Dodge gas engine, extended cab, short bed with a 1 ton suspension. It's the second one I've owned. They pull anything you hook them to and pass everything except a gas station. Dodge quit making them several years ago. I bought it to pull a five horse slant load trailer with front quarters. It's the only truck I found with enough power to pull a loaded 5-horse trailer up hill, in the mountains 55 mph and still have power to accelerate when needed.
I had a 96 dodge v-10, I loved that truck. Yes they pull anything. I would put it in 4x4 and race mustangs and blow them
away. I bet it would do 150 mp too. I had to 120 and there was a lot left.

Amen Zogger.

I can't believe this attempt at an argument is still dragging on.

Anyone who claims to NEVER have over strikes is flat out lying, period.
Or not used to working with long tools... ;)

He said he isn't fond of the wooden handles anyway, he likes something like the fiskars synthetic, which combines incredible strength and no shock. I have found the same thing, I have beaucoup cords under my belt with the fiskars, and maybe 1/3rd cord with the husky/wetterlings and the handle is already ablating below the head, and I am a good aim with axes. I expected some wear, but not this much this fast. I have retired it for the most part. I don't dislike it, just..fiskars works a lot better for me. I am planning on adding some sort of under the head wood guard to the husky axe before I use it again. Blasting through stringy wood, you get wear right there, it is unavoidable.

I would imagine as much wood as he splits, he can aim OK. The CT axe just had bad quality control and shipped with a not so great wooden handle, and it broke early on using it. And when you get a brand new axe, takes ya a few swings to get the range, they all swing a tad different, at least to me anyway.

Not to burst your bubble or that of the sycophants, but that involves a bunch of SWAGS. Maybe some folks are better suited to hydraulics.

Not true! I don't, and my aim is not the greatest. At least side to side, but front to back must be good cause I never overstrike.

The front to back (near to far) is what did the handle in. My first hit (near) left a jagged edge about 1" to the right of the split. When I did the far, the piece split and the maul was going through the handle caught on that edge.

I tell you what, when the handle split in my hands, that SMARTED pretty good. Yow.

Not to burst your bubble or that of the sycophants, but that involves a bunch of SWAGS. Maybe some folks are better suited to hydraulics.

What parts of Zogger's posts were a wild ass guess?

Kind of a no brainer about some being better suited to hydraulic splitters. Not everyone is physically capable or has the ability to herf a maul, axe, or wedge/sledge to split wood.

I've had patients that can't lift their arms up past a 90, let alone over their head.

The hydraulic or electric splitter is the answer for them.

Here's some perspective. @benp has split more wood with his Fiskars (without breaking it) than most people will split in a lifetime. Yet someone on here who burns less than 2 cords a year feels compelled to continue to pick a fight with him because he didn't agree on a splitting tool.....????? Wow.

Here's some perspective. @benp has split more wood with his Fiskars (without breaking it) than most people will split in a lifetime. Yet someone on here who burns less than 2 cords a year feels compelled to continue to pick a fight with him because he didn't agree on a splitting tool.....????? Wow.
:clap::clap:

Grievance #1 Coffee turned cold reading all the above.
#2 NO BUCKS SEEN this season. (see above--- flashhole has same problem)
#3 Have to rearrange life style at 66. MIL moving in.
#4 The more I clean out the barn, the more crowded it gets.
#5 6 months till bass season.
#6 10 months till deer season.
#7 I didn't know that being 15 minutes from the Saratoga race track was tooo far. Ok, during racing season that might be 20 to 25 minutes.

so true, it's the old Ford/Chevy, Packers/Bears, blonde/brunet, smoke dragon/elitist thing. It could go on forever and probably will as long as it's civil and entertaining. If the man can wail on wood like that and have good luck with one and not so much the other let him wail with what he wants. Don't try to change him he's a wood splitting maniac. Think about it, he wails on wood that hard and you want to pi$$ him off :dumb:??

#7 I didn't know that being 15 minutes from the Saratoga race track was tooo far. Ok, during racing season that might be 20 to 25 minutes.
I used to live in East Greenbush. Went to Saratoga often.

:omg: Boy O boy, you are brave makin statements like that out loud. If I did that, I'd over strike and break my handle the very next time out. And then, the loose head would probably ricochet with just enough velocity left to slit the sidewall of the best tire on my truck! :crazy2:
You better have you a heapin helpin o sauerkraut next week! :innocent:
BTW, haven't seen any updates on your trailer build lately...

I am spoiled, first time living someplace with stocked ponds.....fishing season year round!

We grow beef, I go hunting in the freezer...

edit: well, ok, I have to cut to 16 or I can't split it

Can't pick up and hump whole rounds to the trailer anymore if they got any size to them

Big saws are cool, almost to the point I need my stunt double to run them though

My cheap trucks always need work, and mostly the only spare time I have is when it is muddy/rainy/snowing/icing out..no garage or shop

Parts cost $$$, ain't gots much...same with motivation and energy

Never was into racing, critters or vehicles, but always thought running a modified big fat RV in the baja race would be fun...

Lol - I wouldn't go that far but I believe I have split my share.

I think I have had the Fiskars 4 years and in those 4 years we have burned +/- 25 cords each year. I have hand split maybe 3/4 of that. The other 1/4 didn't need split or was noodled.

so true, it's the old Ford/Chevy, Packers/Bears, blonde/brunet, smoke dragon/elitist thing. It could go on forever and probably will as long as it's civil and entertaining. If the man can wail on wood like that and have good luck with one and not so much the other let him wail with what he wants. Don't try to change him he's a wood splitting maniac. Think about it, he wails on wood that hard and you want to pi$$ him off :dumb:??

It's what I have said from the beginning. Different things work for everyone.

The Fiskars works for me and I think I have proven it's capabilites for me in my applications. I like it but I wouldn't and push it on anyone and I sure as hell am not going to criticize one for their choices. "You're splitting by hand....F-IN AWESOME."

I wanted the CT maul in my hands before I commented on it.

I made my initial impressions known and at the time I knew nothing of what to look for in a GOOD handle.

What I have learned since then is that the handle was jacked from the ding ding and only thing it had going for it was that you could hold it and it was hickory.

1/3 heartwood and a diagonal grain. You can't be upset with the manufacturer about this, they are pumping this stuff out. It was 25 bucks.

When I get a new GOOD handle for it, you can DANG well be certain it will have the @johnnylabguy 1.5" pvc collar mod on it.

My "bastardizing" of the maul head that @svk mind controlled me to do.....it makes perfect sense to me.....flat and smooth. I have found that someone else also suggests to grind of any bumps/edges behind the head to make them.....flat and smooth. IT MAKES SENSE. Less friction = less resistance. That's how my pea brain sees it.

I want it to work and I will eventually get it to work. Will it work as well....we shall see.

I am spoiled, first time living someplace with stocked ponds.....fishing season year round!

We grow beef, I go hunting in the freezer...

edit: well, ok, I have to cut to 16 or I can't split it

Can't pick up and hump whole rounds to the trailer anymore if they got any size to them

Big saws are cool, almost to the point I need my stunt double to run them though

My cheap trucks always need work, and mostly the only spare time I have is when it is muddy/rainy/snowing/icing out..no garage or shop

Parts cost $$$, ain't gots much...same with motivation and energy

Never was into racing, critters or vehicles, but always thought running a modified big fat RV in the baja race would be fun...

We can fish almost year 'round here too Zog. :D
grumpy_old_men_fishingpole2_zps10b7cd90.png

grumpyoldmen_zps9b08b52f.jpg

ETA - I just shoved my thumb in eye putting my sweatshirt on....Dammit.

Latest posts

Back