Time to burn the good stuff, whats your preference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been having fun digging into the depths of the woodpile, seeing some firewood that's been under the barn roof for a couple years.

On the one hand, it's like looking at old family pictures, reliving all the memories of trees long felled. On the other hand, it's probably similar to how an archaeologist feels, excavating through the strata, digging deeper and deeper. But instead of various layers of sediment, its tree species based on btu content. Now in deep winter, Indiana woodboogah's troweled into the firewood equavelent of the Ark of the Covenant.

In October, it was all punky hardwood, pine, popple, and irregular-shaped chunks. Come November, the next strata consisted of red maple, silver maple, and white birch. Hit some yellow birch and beech aroung Thanksgiving.

With Christman and New Year's in the rearview, the pile abounds in red oak, beech, black birch, rock maple, and ash. The primo stuff will keep us in free heat through the Ides of March, by which time we'll transition back to burning the more marginal stuff - keeping what's left of the good solid dense stuff for 2011.

Booga,

Ya baffle me sometimes. Ya bust my chops for making Newspaper firestarter Origami, and then wax lovingly about the details of your woodpile, right down to the olfactory stimulation of felling memorys.

LOL!!!
I reckon I need to get busy with a dusty old barn to store my wood in cuz I'm missing out.

I'm down to over seasoned Cherry right now as it's in the pile closest to the farm drive, and I can get to it without getting stuck or shoveling.

We have gotten over 3' on the ground since last Fri. LOL!

http://www.wwmt.com/news/snow-1370929-effect-advisories.html

My giant Amish style stack looks to be inaccessable for a while untill I get the truck out of the body shop. I'll need it for getting the tractor unstuck trying to plow a path to the pile.

You framilliar with the Manitou and his annual war on Mankind?:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

About two cord ..... heavily oak and hard maple. Its been stacked in my barn for three years. Its the pile a draw off of when the snow is so deep it's a pain in the wazoo to walk out back to the wood pile. Hopefully i don't burn it all this year, but if i do.... i do. I'll just replenish it in the spring with equally nice wood for next 'January's Wood'. Part of me hates to burn it...... its so damned nice looking, but i like the heat. :cheers:

2397.jpg

Now that is some good looking Fire wood!! That will keep you Warm!!!:cheers:

Booga,

Ya baffle me sometimes. Ya bust my chops for making Newspaper firestarter Origami, and then wax lovingly about the details of your woodpile, right down to the olfactory stimulation of felling memorys.

:laugh: Yup. To paraphrase Whitman, I contain multitudes. :laugh:

LOL!!!
I reckon I need to get busy with a dusty old barn to store my wood in cuz I'm missing out.

Here's my set up, circa a month ago.

woofah wood.
attachment.php

Wide angle view. Stuff on the far right and immediate foreground in the primo stuff. Yee-haw.
attachment.php

No animals in the barn no more, but a small herd of these little critters has taken up residence.
attachment.php

And a few restoration projects that'll get dumped in an upcoming auction. Except the Jotul, which I'll keep as a back up stove.
attachment.php

I'm down to over seasoned Cherry right now as it's in the pile closest to the farm drive, and I can get to it without getting stuck or shoveling.

We have gotten over 3' on the ground since last Fri. LOL!

http://www.wwmt.com/news/snow-1370929-effect-advisories.html

My giant Amish style stack looks to be inaccessable for a while untill I get the truck out of the body shop. I'll need it for getting the tractor unstuck trying to plow a path to the pile.

You framilliar with the Manitou and his annual war on Mankind?:hmm3grin2orange:

We had the weirdest storm this past weekend. Only a foot of snow, but it came down all of Sat, sat nite, and into Sun. eve. Very fine flakes that took forever and a half to amount to any accumulation.

...the Manitou? Isn't that some Algonquin spiritual force? Kinda like the Great Spirit. Akin to God.

You seem to speak of this manitou with a mix of awe and trepidation - as one would of an angry and vengeful force. One capable of wreaking major havoc and striking terror into the hearts of men...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark my words Booga!

Insulting the Manitou in this nature will NOT end well for you or your neighbors. Ever seen a Tornado in winter?
I'd double up on the ready stack, and fuel up the sowblower if I were you.;)
Ya just cursed yourself.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

attachment.php

Mark my words Booga!

Insulting the Manitou in this nature will NOT end well for you or your neighbors. Ever seen a Tornado in winter?
I'd double up on the ready stack, and fuel up the sowblower if I were you.;)
Ya just cursed yourself.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yup. One of shikaakwa's most formiddable forces of nature! That kritter's one scarry harry!

Sounds like I just committed hari kari. Thanks for the directions for making an oragami samurai sword. Didn't work so well for the ritual disembowelment, but made for a great firestarter for the kinlin. :)

BTW, what's a 'sowblower'? LOL!!!

My go to wood when it's well below zero is White Oak, Red Oak, and Ash. Best of all East Hopphorn Beam (ironwood) but I don't have very much of it.

oak is my favorite,,, easy to cut, split and burns long and hot,,,just picked up a truck load on teh side of teh road on my way home today, but heck, i live in oakmont,,,
i have cherry, locust, maple, and even some sycamore & hemlock for the warmer days, all stacked separately, so i can use what i want...

Yup. One of shikaakwa's most formiddable forces of nature! That kritter's one scarry harry!

Sounds like I just committed hari kari. Thanks for the directions for making an oragami samurai sword. Didn't work so well for the ritual disembowelment, but made for a great firestarter for the kinlin. :)

BTW, what's a 'sowblower'? LOL!!!

LOL!!
Picking on my lack of spellcheck savvy..I reckon I rate that, but then spellcheck is for timid souls.

"Sowblower".
Fan placed at each end of a Farrowing house to keep the Sows cool, and evacuate explosive methane gas build up from the sludge tank under the Farrowing pens.
:D

I guess I shoulda hit the "N" key so as to not confuse. LOL!!

Shikaakwa is an interesting bit of lore that has gotten "Taco belled" in recent times, thanks to the many interpretations and variations regional bands applied to the Manitou.
I could see where a dozen rabid and drunk Harry Kari's on chains, might be kept for extracting revenge on Mankind might be in the Manitou Manual for unconventional warfare. LOL!!

Just to be sure though, toss a handfull of Grain (Oats, rice or corn) in the stove, and keep a 6 pack of Heilemans old style handy near the woodshed, for momentary appeasement of the sub demon.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LOL!!
Picking on my lack of spellcheck savvy..I reckon I rate that, but then spellcheck is for timid souls.

"Sowblower".
Fan placed at each end of a Farrowing house to keep the Sows cool, and evacuate explosive methane gas build up from the sludge tank under the Farrowing pens.
:D

I guess I shoulda hit the "N" key so as to not confuse. LOL!!
Boy that's a relief. Thx for the clarification. :laugh:

Shikaakwa is an interesting bit of lore that has gotten "Taco belled" in recent times, thanks to the many interpretations and variations regional bands applied to the Manitou.
I could see where a dozen rabid and drunk Harry Kari's on chains, might be kept for extracting revenge on Mankind might be in the Manitou Manual for unconventional warfare. LOL!!

Appendix B of the field manual calls for the deployment of a battalion of morning after Lady Gagas in the event of imminent and overwhelming taco belling. (I wonder what the hald life of one of those gorditas is?)

Just to be sure though, toss a handfull of Grain (Oats, rice or corn) in the stove, and keep a 6 pack of Heilemans old style handy near the woodshed, for momentary appeasement of the sub demon.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sounds like a good contingency in the event that the fossiloak is insufficient at driving the manitou out. :)

Didn't we start out talking about unearthing the Ark of the Covenent in my woodpile and your origami firestarters? I guess we started out deep in left field and somehow miandered from there. :laugh:

Last edited:
Sycamore for the last couple of days.

Not that its my first choice, but it is keeping the house toasty warm. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a woodpile this year. Really only about a cord out of a red oak I had taken down at my grandma's house about a month ago and whatever dead I find back on the property. I look to start trying to manage the woodlot a little better and so should have more wood stacked up for next winter.

Back