Time to get chain grinded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went ahead and did the mod to the husky combo file guide, 2 zip tires on the rear notch, do a couple pass on the front notch to deepen it a bit with the dremel cutoff wheel:
0113091550.jpg

mounted on chain: (overhead workbench flourscent light makes the bottom part of the cutter look shiny and not under the top curve part)
0113091551.jpg

results:
0113091554.jpg

0113091555.jpg

when filing by hand, try and keep the file deep in the tooth, rather than riding near the top

Ahh ha ha if he keeps filing like that the paine of sliced knuckles and impaled digits will learn him, o wait a second he's using a guide.

never mind...

777 er get rid of the jig and freehand. it will be easier

Last edited by a moderator:
777ER you are still filing too high on the cutter, and therefore no hook, get rid of the zip ties so the guide drops a little lower, and give it another try. It is a little strange that it looks like you did get low on the tooth at some point though, maybe on a previous filing???

Again the RH cutters seem to have a bit more hook than the left hand.

Again look at a new chain from the side like your last photo to see what the cutter should resemble.

I can't seem to get the chain filed the right way...have looked at the new backup chain package and from what I can tell, the top edge has a thin sharp edge...compared to mine which is thick or 'fat' sharp edge.

With the zip ties mod and without...it seems like same results but the RH side is better?

13/64 or 7/32 file will work on the 3/8 chain- I prefer the 7/32 file for my chains. Either one will work- looks to me there is a little too much down pressure while filing- try too put more pressure back toward the tooth. Once the tooth is filed correctly the file will fit perfectly and glide through the tooth. And I have trouble with this, dont wait until the saw is dull before you stop and sharpen the chain- if you do this it should only take a couple of strokes with the file to sharpen. Hope this helps.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Exactly, the pressure should be into the tooth and slightly up. Also, looks like you aren't holding the file deep enough into the tooth.
Dok

Latest posts

Back