TIPS and tricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you chew Copenhagan and carry it in your shirt pocket - keep the lid facing your body, keeps the paper can from getting wet on those sweaty days.

If your old log tapes are getting slower, soak them in diesel over night - be like new in the morning.

If your bar oil is too thick on those cold days, put a little bit of saw gas in it and it will lighten it up.

If your stacked wedges are slipping while being used, pull them out and stick dirt between them.

If you carry a log tape, a good way is on the belt of your chaps. I put a grommet ( hardware store kit) thru the belt and chap right at the edge. A small screw gate chain link thru the grommet and the tape will hang there as long as the chaps last. For me a belt loop was usually good for two days at most.
If you run 063 ga. the stinger nail on the tape fits the bar groove perfect for cleaning. I run 50 now and the nail is too big, dont know about 058.
Anyone using a log tape for the first time Beware. If the tension is set fairly tight, for high performance:D and you let it get away from you while rewinding, you will find out why it is called a stinger.
I like to wrap the last six inches of the tape and the nail with black ele tape. It will save wear on that part of the tape and the nail is always in a ready to go position whan you grab it, instead of being cocked over sideways. But, too much tape is too much weight.
When you need to replace the filler, unwrap the new one and then stick it in your pocket with several feet of tail sticking out. This will keep it from getting away from you and unwinding.

Oh yea... you can run a saw without bar oil but dont EVER try to run one without saw gas.;)

Now that there is some fine info. Especially the last little bit. I'd rep you again if I could. Good Post.

figuring hinge length

A good way to figure hinge length, 80% of DBH is a good rule of thumb.so a 20 inch dbh will require atleast a 16 inch hinge. If the base is considerably larger due to root flare say it flares out to 28 inches make your humbolt face cuts, then place your saw on the bottom cut and saw towards the back of the tree taking whatever extra length off as you move towards where you are going to make your bore. When boring from the good side do not go full bar depth proving tree is less than 2 bar lengths wide.(this is in case your bad side has bad wood. or a void.) Then when you make your second bore starting at the hinge you will not be double cutting(thus making you work more) cut back to however much holding wood you are going to leave.Ok the notch is cut and the holding wood and hinge is all you have left.. Now stand up and take your last look at your target,... make sure no one walked in on you.. Very important..... Drive any wedges you might need, now cut the latch and watch it fall.
When felling with wedges, if the tree has a wide flaring root and you know you need to get a full wedge buried, make a vertical cut to the sap wood to get the wedged under solid wood. sap wood will not hold enough to do any serious lifting.when you make you vertical cut on the wedge side. cut all the way below your stump height cut. and then a horizontal to be able to flip that piece of flared sap wood. This will allow you to drive the wedge in without hitting the root flare .

I use a weed sprayer for a shop can. You cut the end of the nozzel off. You then pump it up and, put the spout in the tank and press the lever; just like at a gas station. Nice little hose, so you do not have to pick up the whole can and it is clean with no spills.

Take it one step further..........use it on a faucet.........you get real hotwater there!!!

attachment.php

I like to keep a ziplock bag full of Q-tips in the glovebox. Great for getting sawdust out of your eyes.

Q-Tips hell!

I keep a half roll of toilet paper in the truck for emergency's.

You can still get stuff out of your eye with it Plus you can wipe your balloon knot if the need arises.:help:

Ever try to wipe your azz with Q-Tips?

The t.p gets my vote too! how about tylanol nothing worse than getting a headache in the woods I keep some in my tackle box as well. I use oven cleaner to get sap off my saw works great on circular saw blades too. I have learned a lot of useful info on this website and had some good laughs. Keep all the good advice coming.

I use a rubber mud flap as a fueling station to prevent gas oil from
ending up on grass pavement etc. Have customers ask why; has got me
return biz for the extra mile when I tell them what fuel does to a drive way
They admire professionalism and that old flap cost me nota !!:Eye:

Also if have cut down dead diseased trees I clean bar and chain
with alcohol before trimming!!! I have had positive results for not
taking the easy route and free advertising is the best tip in our
biz!!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn: :popcorn:

I use them blue shop towels in a box they are soft and stay together
and one or two does the job and also are ready for field repairs! A q tip
c mon now that must be an hourly crew or smelly at best! Have had to
use leaves but didn't care for the experience much lucky creek nearby
to cleanup lol. Its amazing I remember for job, but deer hunting or turkey
seem to forget deep woods is a laxative and it never fails two mile hike
get there before daylight, baking soda wash, grunt call, scentaway or
mask scent, roll of toilet paper priceless. :hmm3grin2orange:

Speaking of emergencies..........I try to go out wood cutting with at least one other person. Nothing is worse than being up in the mountains by yourself badly hurt and no one to help you. Yeah, cell phones can be great.......but where I go they typically do not work (out of range). I always have a first aid kit handy in the truck. This may sound juvenile to some.......but I always leave a somewhat detailed note at home to let my ol' lady know where I am. At least search and rescue will have a shot at finding me if something were to happen and I don't return home.

If you chew Copenhagan and carry it in your shirt pocket - keep the lid facing your body, keeps the paper can from getting wet on those sweaty days.

Was going to rep you for the Copenhagen tip (had to spred the pionts) ,,, damn been using same kind of tobacco products for 18 years and never thought of that :)
more than one time I've had a pocket full of this lovely product :D

As long as we're talking cell phones,
enter into the phonebook the local towing service.
You never know when you may need it.

Also, Learn to identify poison ivy.
And never use it in place of q-tips. :(

If your old log tapes are getting slower, soak them in diesel over night - be like new in the morning.

If your bar oil is too thick on those cold days, put a little bit of saw gas in it and it will lighten it up.

If your stacked wedges are slipping while being used, pull them out and stick dirt between them.

West Coast tips at their best!:clap:

Gary

Back