TIPS and tricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For cleaning the bar groove, I use an old putty knife that I cut down short and made it at an angle. It is nice and stiff, and the bigger handle makes it easier for me to hold with my big ol' hands.

Gary

Question on putting bar oil in non-standard bottles. Is this being done on a consumer level, or professional one? On a professional level, would not product labelling come in to play and someone could get thier BVD's in a wad if a combustible, potentially carcinogenic, and definitely hazardous material was found in a detergent or FOOD container?

I like the idea of putting product in a more appropriate dispensing container than it comes in, but it may get someone in deep doo (not the kind ya smoke, Dodge guy) if the wrong guy caught it on a worksite.

Gotta say bump r I agree with yah, more than once after bein out in the woods cuttin all day i invariably find myself thinkin "Man I could use a swig of ketchup":hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, its not like there are any large number of trees out here for the loggers to put their Stihls to use on.

Might as well get a husky so I have somethin' that needs constant tinkering on....

NOT!!

I'm with you Gary!
If someone gave me a Husky, I put that sucker on Craigs list!

:jawdrop:

But seriously, I'm not kidding.

Just my opinion,... and 90% of the loggers here in the PNW.

p.s. Trying to find the most recent stats for board feet per year,
so far have found an article stating that Oregon was tops at over 5 Billion bft per year in 1995.
I'm sure a few Stihl saws had a part in that.

Not a problem, Just send those junk husqvarnas to mike's list, Save you the hassles of all the phone calls and I'll even pay the shipping!:D
Mike

Yeah, its not like there are any large number of trees out here for the loggers to put their Stihls to use on.

Might as well get a husky so I have somethin' that needs constant tinkering on....

NOT!!

I'm with you Gary!
If someone gave me a Husky, I put that sucker on Craigs list!

:jawdrop:

But seriously, I'm not kidding.

Just my opinion,... and 90% of the loggers here in the PNW.

p.s. Trying to find the most recent stats for board feet per year,
so far have found an article stating that Oregon was tops at over 5 Billion bft per year in 1995.
I'm sure a few Stihl saws had a part in that.

BTW, I also got me one UUUGLY wife!.... But MAAAAN, can she cook!!

What about using funnels?

I have to admit I have some funnels, but dont use them as I am usually only cutting firewood, so I have the time to be careful and not spill as much.

But If I were a pro, I would probably make quite a mess! :cry:

Another tip I have found is that it was not worth the effort to build a sawbuck for bucking smaller logs.

I thought it would make it easier.
Seems to take more time and is a hassle.

I'm cutting up a few slash piles for firewood and it seems easier to just yank em out of the pile and cut em on the ground.

Any tips on dismantling a slash pile for firewood?
So far it has been alot of work, but the wood is free!

BTW

Just out of my own curiosity,you cut big timber with a 310 and a craftsman
:hmm3grin2orange:
Well, No, My 310 aspires to be at least a 440, but as for me I just cut fire wood and like to use the same brand as they (pros) do.
It's a dealer/parts availabilty thing here.

I did cut a 24" dbh doug fir the other day though!
Thats as big a tree as I will probably cut with the 310.

I also don't buy chevys.
My Mom does and I'm always working on the damn things!

I'm just a ford guy so dont get mad you chevy guys!
I do have a Jeep(dodge 5.2/318 v8) and a VW that are pretty darn good vehicles.
Just never liked the chevys.

Last edited:
What about using funnels?

I have to admit I have some funnels, but dont use them as I am usually only cutting firewood, so I have the time to be careful and not spill as much.

But If I were a pro, I would probably make quite a mess! :cry:

Another tip I have found is that it was not worth the effort to build a sawbuck for bucking smaller logs.

I thought it would make it easier.
Seems to take more time and is a hassle.

I'm cutting up a few slash piles for firewood and it seems easier to just yank em out of the pile and cut em on the ground.

Any tips on dismantling a slash pile for firewood?
So far it has been alot of work, but the wood is free!

BTW

:hmm3grin2orange:
Well, No, My 310 aspires to be at least a 440, but as for me I just cut fire wood and like to use the same brand as they (pros) do.
It's a deaerl/parts availabilty thing here.

I did cut a 24" dbh doug fir the other day though!
Thats as big a tree as I will probably cut with the 310.

I also don't buy chevys.
My Mom does and I'm always working on the damn thing!

OK,OK! No huskys and no chevies, c'mon man:jester: ! try weaving some bull rope through those slash piles ant tie it to your... ford? dodge? 4x4. start pullin 1 by 1 if tehy're large enough, get a few out and it'll start loosening up the pile.

Gotta say bump r I agree with yah, more than once after bein out in the woods cuttin all day i invariably find myself thinkin "Man I could use a swig of ketchup":hmm3grin2orange:

OK smart guy. I was just thinking along the lines of OSHA and whatnot. I have to do aweekly inspection at work and one of the things to look for are chemicals in proper containers and properly labelled. Petroleum product in a ketchup/catsup bottle would definitley be a gig.

OK smart guy. I was just thinking along the lines of OSHA and whatnot. I have to do aweekly inspection at work and one of the things to look for are chemicals in proper containers and properly labelled. Petroleum product in a ketchup/catsup bottle would definitley be a gig.

They'll have your Heinz end for that! :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, and if I'm outa ketchup, then I reach for the laundry soap.:hmm3grin2orange:
There are a bunch of wiseazz's here. But, bump_r, you did get my attention. I own a campground and I do get an inspection from the Health Department each year, and they too are down on misabled jugs. Especially it they are anywhere around the water treatment building. Not that I treat my water with ketchup, detergent or bar oil, but it is something to be aware of. I had a mixture of chlorine and water in a one gallon jug which was marked rv antifreeze last year, and she did not approve. I didn't get written up, but I will if it happens again.

hey I don't see what the problem is ketchup for the bar oil mustard bottle for premix Im just not sure what to do with the jar of relish? any ideas?

hey I don't see what the problem is ketchup for the bar oil mustard bottle for premix Im just not sure what to do with the jar of relish? any ideas?

All of you mountain guys and that's the best ya'll can do......Ya' put white lightnin' in the relish jar...That's what they made those jars for....If ya' run out of gas,just put a little oil in the white lightnin'...your saw will run like mad!!

All right bump r you're right, I was just kidding around. That is a very good point.But let me ask you somethin', would ya rather doctor up your burger with bar oil or brush your teeth with Desitin (diaper rash ointment) ?Was out havin fun with the boys one night and was a little groggy the next AM. WOOOWWWW!!!! Thatll put hair on yer chest! The wifey-poo thought it was "funny"

All of you mountain guys and that's the best ya'll can do......Ya' put white lightnin' in the relish jar...That's what they made those jars for....If ya' run out of gas,just put a little oil in the white lightnin'...your saw will run like mad!!

Yeah, Yeah TH, your're full of it, I had some carolina lightnin one time and that s$$t will eat right through the glass jar before ya can pour it in the saw!:hmm3grin2orange:

Okay here is an attempt to actually contribute to this site instead of just trying to add some "wisenheimer" humor. In reference to another thread in the chainsaw section. This is in regards to e-bay purchasing, unless you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that what you are buying is a "very good saw in excellent running condition" than don't bid accordingly. I have bought[fixed up and sold] several saws on e-bay and i never bid on them with the preconceived notion that it is a runner.Most times if it is in need of repair they will tell you ie low compression cracked covers missing parts etc. If I bid on a "runner" i bid as so that if i have to put some time and money into it i won't get hurt. If I get outbid, there will ALWAYS be another on along soon. I have yet to be disappointed in my e-bay experiences "knock on wood" (other than having the hours back in my life that I waste on it) It usually starts with saw, then rototillers, than old outboards next thing ya know six hours later..., hell it's bedtime. (thank God winters about over!!)

Back