tips for removing piston pin clips? needle nose slips!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbr929rr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
:dizzy: Any tips for removing and installing c clips on the rist pin. They dont have two holes like some I have seen, so specialized pliers will not work. This is on my dolmar 7900 conversion. I bought the ring compressors for $5 and it has a plate to hold the piston and a white plastic tool which looks like it might push out the pin after the clip is removed.

Any help is appreciated!!

Never seen a dolmar, but is there a small notch on the piston? move the end of the wire clip to the notch and use a small screwdriver to start lifting it out of it's groove. then pitch it and use new clips always.

k

I'm having trouble moving the clip to the notch in the piston. I'll try some other tools maybe a pair of dykes.

Any tips for inserting the new ones, and tapping out the pin. The pin looks straight but I've heard the bearing under neath is tapered, should you always remove from the left or right side.

I also use a pick with the stihl notched pistons,and put your thumb over the clip cause they like to fly!

I'm sure you have already done it, but be sure you stuff a rag down in the bottom end so the clip doesn't fall in around the crank. Getting the clip out can be a huge problem if dropped in.

If you ever at your local stihl dealer see if you can buy some inexpensive stihl carb screwdrivers. They work great to make inexpensive picks/tools for working on saws.

yea..def be ready for those clips to go flying..i keep several extras around. as for 12mm wristpin saws this has been my remedy-husky wristpin clips with the tang on them so you can grad them with pliers. this is also the stihl screwdriver that i modified to get the stihl clips out
Koles046build013.jpg

Never reuse wristpin clips. New ones don't cost much, so they are cheap insurance. Also don't use the after market clips. If you get one of the aftermarket P&C kits... always use factory clips from your saws manufacturer. Junk the ones that come in the kit.

Gary

Never reuse wristpin clips. New ones don't cost much, so they are cheap insurance. Also don't use the after market clips. If you get one of the aftermarket P&C kits... always use factory clips from your saws manufacturer. Junk the ones that come in the kit.

Gary

+1, great advice..a couple dollar clip is way cheaper than a P&C

Back