tips for the 660 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rip wood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I ordered my 660 kit on the 12th and am going to prepare for assembly when it comes in. I have watched you tubes and i know i will need to make a case tool maybe out of threaded rod. Any other ideas?? Just let me know what special tools i will need or what to look out for during the build. I hope to have a saw that will last for many uears so i eant to do yhis right but on a budget too. Anyone built a kit saw without base gasket?? Idk if i should try that or not??:chainsaw::dumb:

Replace the wrist pin bearing with an oem one the aftermarket ones have known to fail. Also take a couple minutes and trim out the exhaust gasket to match the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep and oem circlips too. The chain brake handle is also a weak point i would replace with oem if i intended it for actual work, they generally just bend and dont actuate well. The chain tensioner will most likely be really crunchy, just run it back and forth with a drill a handful of times and it will get better. The deco valves in the kit are garbage. Ive been using the fuel and pulse lines in the kit, but the fuel line leaks and wasnt properly installed from the factory. Also fuel line sucks air where the filter goes in if the fuel level is too low. Fuel tank cap leaks like a sieve, replace it with oem. Many of the carbs ive heard of in these kits need the metering lever height lowered, mine would flood severely before i fixed that.

I would be prepared to correct/improve the bevels on port edges. Most are usable as is, but a lot of top ends failed on these right off the bat. We did a build-off on another forum and think there were 75 or so of these kits sold in the group buy, pretty similar experiences by a lot of other guys.

Also its no prob to assemble without a case tool. Just heat thw cases carefully amd the crank will slide in, may be handy to have a couple of longer screws to help pull the case together the rest of the way.

Heat it before putting in seals i assume. Also anyone got an idea what time frame im lookin at for shipping. Ordered On the 12th and the tracking info says paid not shipped or anything like that. Whats the best gasket sealers to use and where to use them at??

Oh and i do not have a die grinder. Can i use small file set to go over the rough spots on the cylinder? Same difference right?? And would you hone the cylinder or just run it as is?

No need to hone. Any honing done in a plated cylinder should be done very lightly and carefully and only if necessary. If it was like mine the seals will come installed, which is kind of a pain. I ended up ruining the clutch side seal and had to replace it. I use permatex anaerobic gasket maker. Lots of other good sealers used by people, its just what i have most easily available close to me. You may do more damage than good with a file...i would post pics of the cylinder when it arrives

Back