tips on using SC252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stavenstumper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
Looking for some tips on using the SC252. I recently bought a 2002 and used it on a few 30 + inch birch stumps. It got a little frightening the deeper into the stump I got. Machine would lurch forward the deeper (down) I went. When the head seems to be biting on the forward and bottom section of the cutting wheel.

I also have to do a job on a slope. How is it best to approach. I bet they tip easy. All comments/stories welcome... Thanks...

Does anyone have a PDF shop manual? I have the owners manual but it does not have info on say disassembling the wheels. One tire popped off (inner) and is full of woodchips. Also is missing the air valve stem. (might be inside with the chips):bang:

Tips. Hmm.. run nothing but sharp teeth, I have used the machine with Greenteeth and I'm not sold. They work superbly on larger machines. Get the 2 wheel steering on the rear. otherwise you will flip the machine, even then its still tippy. Check your belt tension frequently, keep sharp cutters on there, and grease the wheel every day. I've become a snob about grinders, anything less than 50hp is a waste of time to me. I cant stand running a 252 when I know a larger machine will be done in a 1/4 of the time. The benefit is you can fight that machine into places that you'll never get a larger rig into.

It sounds like your teeth arn't that sharp and maybe your trying to bit off more then it wants too. Does it have auto sweep? also grinding on the bottom of the wheel is not always the best place. Try not to let too much stump come into contact with the wheel at one time to prevent friction slowing you down but also trying to maintain a good pace. It's all about balance. If you view the stump like a set of steps if you can understand me and always try to grind off the edge of the step as you move back to the next one you will find you have created another step but they are getting deeper and deeper until they are no more. I hope you understand that It may be difficult if you havent seen that while grinding but that is the best way i can explain it. Also make sure your belts are up to scratch you can loose a lot of power through poorly maintained belts and you want notice until you change them the difference. good luck

forgot to reply to it tipping. I run a 252 and a 352 and other then taking the outside wheels off for gaining entry I would never grind with them off, they are unstable with them off but solid as a rock with them on. And remember just beacuse the ground is flat, when you start grinding you are creating an uneaven soft surface and a hole. I have had a few slow rolls on the 252 while grinding larger stumps out on the flat and it's a ????? to get back up if your on your own. A good stake down device is useful but if i'm on a good slope if I can I will use a long ratchet strap around a tree to hold her she can easily run over the stump with out it sharp teeth or not. It makes the job 3 times longer but you have to account for that in your quote. Unfortunatly like the rest of us you got to make your mistakes to find out what works.

Latest posts

Back