Tips when using aftermarket P/C kit on Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erin_lassley

Reaction score
Hi guys - I seldom ever post here and it's been years but I wanted to share some info in hopes it can help someone else who did the same thing I did.

A couple of weeks ago, my Stihl 025 lost compression and died. I still don't know what happened but something came loose somewhere and beat the hell out of the top of the piston. Anyway, I found HLSupply had the best deal (cuz I'm a cheap SOB) on an aftermarket P/C set for under $60 shipped. I guess it matches my chinese Walbro copy carburetor. Anyway, in 2 hrs and 45 minutes, I managed to tear the saw apart and put it all back together with the new parts. I used to work at a Stihl dealership and so you get to know all the parts on these saws and know them like the back of your hand.

Anyway, 2 things you need to watch with these aftermarket kits - first off - the ground lug for the shut-off wire is a smaller and presumably metric thread on the aftermarket cylinder. The original Stihl lug was a course threaded torx. I found a panhead screw in the junkbox and it worked great. The other thing is there is not enough clearance behind the exhaust port for the exhaust bolts. I already had my engine assembled and wasn't going to take it apart so I ground the bolts to fit. You'll need a dremel to clearance the cooling fins so the head of the bolt will slip behind the exhaust port and you'll need to hog out the radius for the bolts in the port itself so they will slide in all the way.

Of course I sheared my flywheel key by using an impact wrench on the clutch. I forgot that when using an impact wrench to remove a clutch, you always gotta remove the flywheel first. I found a couple of posts on here where someone said you could just align the keyway up and tighten the nut and it'll hold. So far it has - I just test ran my saw in the shop and it ran like always. This was a saw I bought as a parts saw on ebay that tested at 120 pounds when I got it. Then I used my employee discount and ordered the missing pieces at work. When I was done, I might have saved $10 over the price of a new saw but at least I knew my saw inside and out. Over time, I've actually lost a little bit of money on it, but hell, the saw don't owe me a cent with the wood I've cut with it.

Hope you enjoyed my information.

Erin Lassley
Beatrice, NE

Latest posts

Back