Tis the season...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the vid that was neat to watch. I have a hard time believing that it was 3/4 of a cord thoe. A 1/2 a cord for sure, hard to tell in the vid.

Beefie

I tried the video but I'm on a blackberry& it said 'not available for mobile.' That's ok, I have an imagination. I too got a firewood score today&loaded my tacoma w/ red oak until it runneth over. I have repped you for owning an MS390.:cheers:

Thanks for the comments. It's US Forest Service, $6.25 per cord :dizzy:

We actually cut another tree at a different spot that made the 3/4 cord. The other tree in the picture was too big, we wouldn't have been able to pack it all.

I measured the front pile at 1/2 cord, then I just estimated the rest.
attachment.php

The school bus and the white-truck convoy was actually a group of forest rangers. I stopped to eat lunch and they were on a training exercise about "forest utilization". Apparently they can estimate populations of verious wild animals by studying the flora. I told them I was "utilizing the forest". They were happy to see the beetle bug getting gone. I told them about my previous cutting spot, I had cut there for two years to get all the beetle trees and there are only two left this year. Seemed interested to know that.

About the MS390, I had lots of trouble with it at first, flooding and stalling, then I called Stihl... Very helpful. They had me go to the stihl dealer in the next town who was "more familiar with mechanics". I don't know what he did to it, but it runs AWESOME! and it was free for me! :greenchainsaw: I have sent him at least two buying customers since then and HE is my new dealer. I love the MS390! I had to turn the idle down this year since it's broken in. Never a hiccup.

EDIT --> I told me twins they should put the brush in "random" spots. It's kind of fun to watch the randomness.

Last edited:
Here's your vid embedded for ya:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7m8GoCqF4Z4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7m8GoCqF4Z4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice work. Be careful out there, even the @@## school buses are running 150mph - that's a bad road to be cutting on LOL!

Is the time lapse feature built right into your camera, or did you use software to speed up a regular video?

Hope to be back with some rep for ya later, out of ammo for right now.

Time laspe is build in, cannon pocket cam, one frame in two seconds. I was surprised the batteries lasted. I haven't charged them in a month. It must have gone into power saving mode. No worries about REP, I'm not a rep hog.

Didn't know where the "amateur firewood picture forum" was, so I thought I'd post here. No video this time.

I'm almost halfway to my goal already, 2.8 cords total now. It takes 6 to heat the house, and I'd like one extra.

Proper planning prevents piss poor performance...
attachment.php

I was reaching my weight limit on the trailer.
attachment.php

One more load home. The ms390 really came in handy with the bigger chunks. I'm starting to experiment with keeping the RPM's a little higher. I remember when I was cutting stuff like this with my 210.

Trailer tires and bearings were getting hot on the way home so I had to limit my speed to 55mph.

This gives new meaning to "tons of CO2"...
(I had to keep the big logs with the cut down so I wouldn't damage the driveway in the heat... Must start splitting soon.)
attachment.php

Nice setup you have for hauling your wood ts39136. What size is that trailer, how much weight is it rated for. My guess is 4000lb.

Beefie

Nice setup you have for hauling your wood ts39136. What size is that trailer, how much weight is it rated for. My guess is 4000lb.
Beefie

Yes, about that. I had 4400lbs on the rear axles before and probably 300 tounge. Seemed a little overloaded.

Per the book, without trailer brakes I shouldn't exceed 2000lbs, I think.

-Tim

EDIt--> The tires are rated at 500kg (1105lb) each. Spec plate says 2800 gross.

Edit (again) --> Trailer is 12 x 7.5 feet, minus the tool box in the front. Sides are 3.5' or so.

Last edited:
The time lapse is great... makes an otherwise long boring video interesting. Your choice of music is great too... I end up muting a lot of the videos I watch.

thanks,
Ian

Latest posts

Back