Titanic titan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine has this in her barn and wants to know what it might be worth. As near as I can tell it is either a model 40 or model 65 Titan chainsaw that her father used in his mill. She also has a two man saw that I didn't find any markings on. Any info on that would also be apprieciated. The best I can do is provide the photos that I have. Check out the pics. View attachment 185847View attachment 185848View attachment 185849View attachment 185850

It looks like a 40 or 45. The 60 and 65 had a separate gas tank. Titan found out that the one-piece gas tank/top cover assembly caused vapor lock in warmer weather. Since it was all one piece of metal the gas would boil and the saw would shut down.

The two-man saw looks like an early Mall, like a model 5. If so, it's an extremely rare bird.

The Titan's worth depends on whether or not it's locked up. Most of those I've found end up being frozen, due to a variety of factors. It's probably worth $50-100 if it's locked up and possibly double if it turns freely with compression. Spark is an issue on those as well.

The Mall looks pretty rough but in restore-able condition. I would give a bit more for the Mall because it is a rare saw, say around $300 to possibly $400.

Thanks JJ, that gives me a ballpark figure to throw at her, if she decides to sell them. If she does decide to sell they are going to be offered up to the AS family first, if she lets me post them. I don't want them for myself, I've got too many other irons in the fire right now and enough for the near future. So I'm sure an interested collector can be found right here. Unfortunately she doesn't need the money and likes to hang on to things for nostalgic purposes. We'll all have to wait and see.

The Titan's worth depends on whether or not it's locked up. Most of those I've found end up being frozen, due to a variety of factors. It's probably worth $50-100 if it's locked up and possibly double if it turns freely with compression. Spark is an issue on those as well.

The Mall looks pretty rough but in restore-able condition. I would give a bit more for the Mall because it is a rare saw, say around $300 to possibly $400.

Jacob, I want to send a special thanks your way, rep if the software will let me. A lot of chainsaw collectors are tight-lipped about vintage saw values, sometimes (usually?) in the hopes of lowballing uninformed sellers. I stopped spending time on a certain site because the "no price discussion" policy reeked of collusion :mad:. Rant over.

Thanks JJ, that gives me a ballpark figure to throw at her, if she decides to sell them. If she does decide to sell they are going to be offered up to the AS family first, if she lets me post them. I don't want them for myself, I've got too many other irons in the fire right now and enough for the near future. So I'm sure an interested collector can be found right here. Unfortunately she doesn't need the money and likes to hang on to things for nostalgic purposes. We'll all have to wait and see.

One thing to check for is spare chains. If she has some useable chains in oddball hard-to-find gauges they might have value....but that's not to say the Mall & Titan ran rare chains.

Jacob, I want to send a special thanks your way, rep if the software will let me. A lot of chainsaw collectors are tight-lipped about vintage saw values, sometimes (usually?) in the hopes of lowballing uninformed sellers. I stopped spending time on a certain site because the "no price discussion" policy reeked of collusion :mad:. Rant over.

Yeah, unfortunately some of the "collectors" are actually pretty cheap people and the ones with the largest collections are usually the worst to deal with (there's a reason they have the largest collections.)

I've been worked over pretty hard by a few of the "collector" types whose greed I had to experience first hand, who happen to be members of all the forums. The funny thing is, those that I've met that have been rotten to deal with seem to have an "entitlement" attitude or "I've gotten mine and screw everyone else" attitude.

a real mall 5 is extremly rare.

points for extra bars and tranny too.

titan 45, not so much but still has a market.

mall 5
alt2028-1.jpg

Yeah, unfortunately some of the "collectors" are actually pretty cheap people and the ones with the largest collections are usually the worst to deal with (there's a reason they have the largest collections.)

I've been worked over pretty hard by a few of the "collector" types whose greed I had to experience first hand, who happen to be members of all the forums. The funny thing is, those that I've met that have been rotten to deal with seem to have an "entitlement" attitude or "I've gotten mine and screw everyone else" attitude.

Oh yeah, I've dealt with collectors who think that they're entitled to parts for a small fraction of their real value. What really gets me is the "But I contacted you first!" folks. They're usually the ones that will offer to trade a $20.00 part for a $200.00 part.

I had one collector, well-known here & on the "other" site (obviously I'm not going mention his name), go behind my back after I made the mistake of posting about a potential deal. To say that I was POd is a major understatement.

There are certain fair and reasonable collectors that I'll tell about deals that I find (not that there are that many here in Houston) but can't act on. He's not one of them.

Djones, I apologize for the digression & hijack.

The last (and only Mall 5) I have seen traded hands for a very good price. It was not lowballed. I have collected saws for many years and I do not lowball. It appears collectors are taking a pretty good hit here. Not all of us a scroungy low ballers and many give away parts for free.

I will admit that there are some that do and many appear to hang close together

Bill

Got a little more info from from my local expert Marshall Trover last night.

There are 2 versions of the 5. One is military and other is civilian.

Color might be the only visual change.

He thought total production is in the lower thousands range.

Marshall has both versions and said he only knows of around 12 other mall 5's to be known in the collector circles.

Spare parts are non existant.

Model Profile: 5 CHAIN SAW

Back