To clearcoat or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just painted a 346XP I'm working on. Finish came out very good. Question is will clearcoating offer any advantages and should I wait a week or so before doing so, if I indeed clearcoat. Any better clearcoat products?
Bob

Just painted a 346XP I'm working on. Finish came out very good. Question is will clearcoating offer any advantages and should I wait a week or so before doing so, if I indeed clearcoat. Any better clearcoat products?
Bob

What kind of color did you use? Automotive finish? Acrylic? Enamel? Urethane?

Let us know and answers will follow. :)

Ok... You should really test another piece to check for lifting, but you should be able to put some urethane clear over that and it would def help durability. I find its ussually worth it to lay some 2 part clear over the cheaper paints, but mostly for chip resistance. It does make a bit of a difference and helps with keeping fuel from coloring the paint.

On the other hand..... A 345 is mostly plastic and the little bit with paint will last a long time without clear.

Good luck Bob!

Bob

I do know that with some of the canned spray paints you have to be cautious about compatibility. For example, if you used a lacquer base and then apply certain urethane top coats it can cause severe orange peeling and/or complete failure of the base paint. Also, you need to make sure that whatever you use is resistant to gas. I painted some of my motorcycle parts with spray paint from autozone and they have held up well.

This is the fairing I painted along with the electrical box on the side.
2011-06-30125751-2.jpg

Even using same brand paints Ive had mixed success out of rattle can clears. Like mentioned before do some testing with your paints, on something else, before shooting over a nice coat of paint you've already laid.

Latest posts

Back