To Decompress or Not to Decompress?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In The Weeds

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I tend to forget to decompress the saw a lot since its a 372 xp and its not all that bad to pull. I suppose its more wear on the pull cord but is there any advantage to not decompressing before running like will it make the valve last longer, etc.? If so I just won't bother with it until I get back out of shape again :msp_tongue:.

Whats a decomp?....i dont use a sissy valve....imo you shouldnt have to.

Using the valve is easier on the starter mechanism; also safer when you must restart in a bad spot. FWIW as for the sissy connotation, there are not many folks around who will regularily choose to start a Mac 125 without using the valve. Ron

I seldom use them on my saws up to 100cc. I don't have any over 100cc that have decomps. I don't doubt that I'd use them on big-inch Macs if I had any. Lemme get back to you after find some. I do have a Homey 909D, and, while it's got no spark at the moment, I have pulled it over a hojillion times verifying that fact. The trick is to pull from TDC. It's not hard to find -- just bump-bump-bump until it's got max resistance. Let 'er rip. Your shoulder will thank you.

Ain't about "manly". It's about not adding unnecessary steps to a thing that I do sometimes dozens of times a day. "Bump-bump-bump" to start is the same rhythm as "bump-bump-bump" knocking knots off. You'll thank me for that observation if you ever have a dozer waiting for you on a road-clearing project. Rounds don't matter to dozers. It takes way more cuts to get the log buckable than it does to actually buck, especially in big, wolfy trees.

Yeah I wasn't exactly asking whether or not I was a "sissy" for using it or not although the name is kinda funny lol. Just wondered about any opinions as to what was better for the saw in the long run. It's like I prefer cars and stuff with less extras because its just more stuff I'm going to have to fix eventually. Wasn't sure in this case.

Last edited:
It depends more on the compression of your saw. I don't use it on my stock Husky 353 but HAVE to use it on my 200+ psi Dolmar 7900. Not using it on that saw doesn't only strain you but puts undue stress on starting components as well. If starting it with the saw placed firmly between your legs it also prevents a falsetto voice...
I also use the decomp on my Husky 390XP and 3120. Not because I'm less manly, but because it makes those saws easier to start.

I use them, less strain on the starter mechanism, easier to start when your in the scrub. Also a bit easier on my dodgy shoulders!

LOL I don't even have a running saw with one at this point!! When saws were of an all metal design the thought was if you can't start it you should not use it....like pre-electric Harley's...kinda.... then they started to show up...Jonsereds first one came on the 90 and was a much needed improvement...not for the saw but for the operator....these days in the never ending quest for more power and less weight all the saw parts that can be made of plastic, are, and now the decomp has become and item not the operator but for the saw.....it helps you not pull the recoil off the saw should your wimpy 50cc saw kick back...it don't matter if you're Popeye or PeeWee Herman...it's there for the saw....

I use them, If they have them, an SP125 will tell you when you don't. But I drive VW's :rolleyes2:

I did not use it on my 090 once and it pulled all 4 of my fingers right off my knuckles:msp_mad:

Now I have to pick my nose left handed, but dang it I am a MAN (with a hard head,..-life is hard, when yer stupid life is harder, so if yer gonna be stupid ya better be tuff):msp_mad:

I use 'em on all my saws regardless of size. I always drop start, and when you get to be my age and all the parts are still working OK, then why put any more strain on the old body than is necessary to get things done.

185 psi

my 044 has 185 psi .it might be a little hard.the 260 pro has the d comp valve.it seems a silly on a 260.k

I had an 026 Pro that had a decomp valve and didn't use it. The saw pulled over easy enough and started with fewer pulls not using it.

Latest posts

Back