To hone or not to hone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
im not sure how many inspect your cylinders. Now this just happened. In a used cylinder you can’t see the wear line on the bottom of the bore where the piston ring changes direction. It’s similar to the ridge that wears at the top of the bore on four stroke engines. Honing shows the wear line that goes across the diameter. I don’t go full bore with the hone just jog in, jog out till I get a cross hatch that’s it. But if you didn’t hone the cylinder this wear line wouldn’t show up if it’s not that bad. The minute we hone it’s there on worn cylinders. Look where the ring changes direction just below the intake transfer ports. No ring mark your good to go. Faint ring mark you maybe ok, deep ring mark replace the cylinder.

Again this wear line from the ring is at BDC. Bottom dead center.

I have a lot of experience in rebuilding engines. I’ve seen this on car engines when there run low on oil. The cylinders starve for oil and wear more. I never expected to see this on chainsaw engines. Since this was a eBay purchase there’s no way to know what two stroke oil they used? I’d say there two stroke oil wasn’t doing it’s job. Or time took its toll. Things do wearout.

I was advised by a professional logger to run belray full synthetic in my stock saws and motul 800 in my modified saws. It has something to do with the carbon build up besides wear. He’s tested oils and how long the engines last.

I never seen this wear line at the bottom of the bore on dirtbike engines. Probably because we refresh them often. But we do keep an eye on the compression. When it starts to drop, we refresh. Change the rings. But in nickasil cylinders it’s maxima super m, in castiron cylinders it’s maxima 927.

I’m not sure if anyone keeps a maintenance record on there saws. If your in the bizz it could save you money in the long run. I never thought of doing that.

I’m just raising an awareness on what I’m seeing.

Latest posts

Back