to mod a muffler...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkymonkeyjon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi

seen lots of talk about modifying mufflers on saws. i have a 257 husky, rather old looking that i'm either going play with or sell. i'd rather play with it!
i've seen some people's pictures of some wicked mods but i dont understand how it all works ???

is it simply as easy as making more holes in the exhaust to let more gas out? does it give you more oomph?

i've seen alot of pics where guys/gals are welding larger pipes on, i dont think mine will need that, but how would a novice "mod the muffler"?

whats the pro's and cons?

the exhaust looks to be complicated its got some piping inside that doesn't seem to do much cause there's a hole right on the other side, larher than the pipe itself

im conf!?

any help muchly apprecieated

funky monkey chunky jon

All you're doing is opening it up and letting it breathe. Pros: more power. Cons: more noise.
What do you think is the less noisy way to go? Ofc the size of the extra hole but how much does extra holes compare to only making the stock opening bigger etc? You've done some MM a while back (can't seem to find pics of it), I think the style you used on the 261. Bending small parts of the muffler open, are they less noisy than other alternatives? They sure look nice!

The loudest will be those that shoot straight out the front of the muffler. I doubt my louvered 261 muffler is any quieter than simply cutting a hole and putting a deflector over it.
Ok, thanks. I'm thinking about muffler modding my 064 but rather keep it pretty silent because I mainly use it at home, half a mile from town center.

Latest posts

Back