to seal or not to seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have to do some majer limb removal on some apple trees do to snow load thay didn't far very well but am going to try to save. i have never used wound seal before becuse i was tought that if you make your cut right the tree will heal on its own. but i remember my grandpa always sealed his fruit tree cuts so sence i haven't trimed fruit trees i am looking on some advice on the subject

It's my understanding that you make proper cuts at the branch collar and the tree will heal well on its own. Sealing the wound and flush cutting was the old way. That's what I was taught.

I agree with Joezilla. Sealing is old school. If proper cuts are made at collar the tree will heal fine without sealant. I'm not very savvy about fruit trees however so maybe others have better advice. I would try to minimize cuts however as each is a wound the tree must deal with, maybe do some this year and some nxt????

Last edited:
I'll try to explain how I think it is, trees dont heal a wound they seal it with Codit

Proper cuts while better are still a wound thats unexpected by the tree. In natural limb decline process's the tree begins it own symplast withdrawal and activation of Codit. When you cut a tree limb off the tree will attempt to seal compartmentalize the wound by the process of Codit as best it can given the injury's size location season species traits and the tree vigor etc etc .

but go back a few steps &
1st avoid the need or do it early in juvenile tree growth.
2nd if needed minimizes the wound size or do when tree response is better.
3rd more often no wound paint is needed and this has been proven. Thou I find in fruit trees in winter or slow growth time a dab of acrylic paint after time to allow the surface cell plugging and tannin oxidization may not harm and may just deter pathogen attention the rest is complex due to individuality of a trees response to wounds, so its your call from here

[video=youtube;v_ZF6MPGBzU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ZF6MPGBzU[/video]

Codit is a theory of decay -compartmentalization of decay in trees-codit. Callus is what the tree grows over the wound to seal it. A dr. Alex shigo came up with this and has many books on it as well. If your interested u can look em up or the short answer and read our posts lol

Latest posts

Back