Today's flea market sightings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Today I went to the Pendergrass Flea Market. It is up in Northeast Georgia and it seemed to me like a cross between a West African market and the world's largest dollar store. Anyway, A few ope vendors there and besides the menagerie of throw away saws I saw a Stihl MS290. This saw had a cheapo Forester bar on it and a mostly worn out chain. The rest of the saw was grungy but seemed complete. They only wanted $399 for it so I snatched it up right away, yeah, right.

Another saw I found and came oh so close to buying was a Poulan 3400 Countervibe. This saw was in good operating order. Had a decent condition bar and chain on it and it started up and ran perfectly. Now being that this is a 30 year old saw I wasn't interested in possessing it myself but would have purchased it to flip. Someone on here probably wants one like it, eh? Anyway, they said $50 and I offered $40. He said $45 and I said $40 was as high as I would go. So he goes off to another booth to check with someone I guess as there was a bit of a language barrier. So the other guy comes back with him and said he wanted $60 but would sell it for $50. I said I would only pay $40 and he said he paid more than that for it. So anyway, I walked away. Now, I know he'll be able to sell it to someone eventually for the $50.

Mitigating circumstances. i figure this saw is probably worth about "$100 in a well advertised auction" and if I would've been in a truck and could've just stuck it in the back, I would've paid the $45 as that would still allow some room to make it worth my while. However, I had the family with me and we were two hours from home in an HHR which means the saw would've been in the passenger compartment. This would've created fumes in the car with the associated whining which would have outweighed any potential profit. So if someone is looking for a 3400 Countervibe, go fetch it at the Pendergrass Flea Market. (outside vendor area)

So the only thing I came away from there with is a couple hub covers for a bearing buddy for one of my trailers.

Flea markets are a good "search place". I found the nicest 026 I've ever owned at one. The guy had it under the table his stuff was on (inside a closed case and nobody could see it --thank GOD!). He was asking $150 for it and I told him I'd circle back before I left. I came back and he stepped back to the van to try to crank it (it was in the open outside section). The filter was covered in saw hash, and the saw was too -- yet like so many it had wonderfully preserved some of the plastic. He could not get it started because he did know how. I bought it for $100. with the case because I knew it would clean up and look pristine. After a good cleaning and a carb kit it fired on the second pull. It left here pretty quickly afterwards. Thanks for posting! :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back