took a chainsaw to the face

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh Monkeymanjoe! Just wondering how all is going? Was looking around the site and found this thread. In Canada if the employer dictates when the job is to be done(like go do this today) you are a employee. Hope everything is working out for you and your recovery.

Same in ct

Eh Monkeymanjoe! Just wondering how all is going? Was looking around the site and found this thread. In Canada if the employer dictates when the job is to be done(like go do this today) you are a employee. Hope everything is working out for you and your recovery.

In Ct (usa) its the same.

I had "contractors" who I charged back for faulty work , they went to dept of labor and won .based on I provided the work schedual and I set the hours and I paid them , 1099 means nothing . If he had a contract and working under his company name the employer might have a case , maybe. He should be compensated for his injuries.

kickback

Can someone tell me if they have ever stopped a kickback with the safety bar? Certainly it is a needed feature but seems like your elbow would give quicker than the wrist. The safety bar just doesn't seem like you should trust it. is this correct? I guess there's no part of a saw to trust besides the handle anyway.

Can someone tell me if they have ever stopped a kickback with the safety bar? Certainly it is a needed feature but seems like your elbow would give quicker than the wrist. The safety bar just doesn't seem like you should trust it. is this correct? I guess there's no part of a saw to trust besides the handle anyway.

Simple solution is to position yourself where you are not cutting at face or neck level. I've never had my climbing saw kickback on me but I wouldn't want it right in my face if it did so.

"Safety bar" = chain brake? The chain brake just stops the chain from turning, it doesn't stop the bar from kicking back at you.

But if the chain brake trips you get hit (if you get hit) by a small, sharp object in a kickback event, instead of 30 to 40 of them moving around the bar at 12,000 RPM.

Good cutting practice is to keep the left elbow locked, so that it does not give in this type of situation.

Philbert

This thread seems to get brought up quite a bit. Every time I come across it I read it through. Joe is a good guy, bad to the bone and from the old school. Wish he would come back and post some but I have no idea how to get ahold of him and make him aware of his infamy. I met him about 2 years after this incident when he took down a monster white pine in a cemetery for my old boss. His face is scarred up but he doesn't look much worse than the majority of salty tree guys I've met. Last I knew his business was still trucking along and he was no longer climbing for his old, very shady boss. I wish him the best of luck and hope to meet him again someday.

This is the first time seeing this thread. Its stories like this that makes me really focus on what I'm doing whether its cutting or chipping. When I'm cutting trees out of chain length fence it seems no matter how careful you are you still hit the fence and get a kick back.

Good to see people are still reading old sh!t.Read it today, read it tommorow,and share it with someone the next day.........................

i cut with one hand! be a man! 066 with 60" bar in both hands running through the woods like the rd runner! BEEP BEEP!!!!!:blob2:

i cut with one hand! be a man! 066 with 60" bar in both hands running through the woods like the rd runner! BEEP BEEP!!!!!:blob2:

Well, sure is true some people not being cautious enough, ARE going to be cutting w/one hand, or one leg , or maybe half a head !! No kidding.
I know you're joking Treefarmer85, where are you going to find two trees both with trunks needing a 60" bar, only arms length apart ??!

Anyway it's good to hear the man here is doing better and is capable of doing what he likes doing. Character prevails !! Good news.

PPE & common sense to us all...

SA

This is still a very relevant thread. Everybody should read it once a year. I have come close several times, but it has always been with over eager helpers. I would turn around and there would be a helpers arm in the saw path. It really makes me think about proper running saws and methods. I never blip the throttle between cuts and I make sure the idle is set correctly. These two behaviors have prevented similar injuries.
ZG

Latest posts

Back