Top 10 reason I burn wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here are the top 10 reason's I burn wood to heat my home.

#10 Having a pile of wood in my yard is a great place for those cute chimpmunks to hole up.
#9 No power no problem....gravity heat works great
#8 I could stop yelling at the kids to shut the door because it is cold outside.
#7 30 below zero ...no biggy....just add another log
#6 Moving wood keeps me in shape
#5 Being carbon nuetral is a good thing
#4 So what if the fuel oil jells
#3 Finding free wood is like finding gold nuggets on the ground...who knew
#2 Heating with wood enables me to run around the house with next to nothing on all winter..ok....too much info
and the #1 reason I burn wood to heat my home.....
I get to tell Guido at the oil co-op to take another flying leap when oil hits 5$ a gallon!

10) A good excuse to buy OPE.
9) A good excuse to use OPE.
8) My Grandfather did.
7) When the power goes out my family is still warm.
6) Before we got the stove I was constantly telling the kids to shut the door, now I ask them to open it.
5) It gives my boys and me some time together. (cutting and splitting)
4) The thrill of the hunt for wood.
3) It is relaxing to watch the fire.
2) My wife likes it.
1) It saves me big money. No more natural gas. Before we got our stove our utilities bill would be $500.00 easy (it has gone up since). Now unless it is in the teens or below, we do not use any, very little if it is in the teens.

I agree with the above statements (have NEVER bought heating oil and have lived here a decade), and have one more.

A few years ago as I was splitting and stacking in my backyard, the guy that lives behind me walked up to the fence and actually had the unmitigated gall to ask me the following....."Could you not burn wood this year, because I have chrohns (sp?) Disease and need to sit in my sauna outside." "The smoke comes right down in my face"

I was laughing inside but showed no outward signs. I told him it had a regulation top on the chimney and left it at that. He just walked away, probably to a bathroom.

I agree with the above statements (have NEVER bought heating oil and have lived here a decade), and have one more.

A few years ago as I was splitting and stacking in my backyard, the guy that lives behind me walked up to the fence and actually had the unmitigated gall to ask me the following....."Could you not burn wood this year, because I have chrohns (sp?) Disease and need to sit in my sauna outside." "The smoke comes right down in my face"

I was laughing inside but showed no outward signs. I told him it had a regulation top on the chimney and left it at that. He just walked away, probably to a bathroom.
Sitting in a suana is NOT gonna help chrohn's. Isn't that a stomach disease, how is a suana gonna help.

Here's some of the things that I like about firewood in random order.

I like finding wood
I like cutting wood
I like saving money
I like the heat
I like to be self sufficient

I typed sauna, but it's a hot tub that the jackass sits in. He didn't even offer to pay my oil bill if I quit burning. Which I wouldn't have anyway. I went out back to check the "smoke" after that, and beside startup, there was none. Just the occasional pleasant campfire smell.

I love to watch visitors gather and cling to the stove, they bask in the heat and truly enjoy the fire.

We run our stove room up into the upper 70s and then the whole house will be at about 70 degrees. This means that the wifes clothes fall off a lot easier.:clap:

My kids learn the value of heat, they learn that if they feel cool that they (or really I) should start a fire and not to consume some petroleum.

Really I should also mention boredom. In the winter it is dark and rainy from about 4pm all the way until 8AM. I come home from work in the dark and watch TV or do some small projects but tending the fire gives me something to do that is constructive.

my reasons...maybe Obama should look into this

Not to turn this into a political thread but firewood....
1) helps to keep me in shape
1a) I dont have to buy a gym membership
1b) saves me money on the membership
1c) keeps down my healthcare costs
1d) relieves stress without having to go to jail for killing someone in a fit of rage...just take it out on the wood and Im GTG
1f) did I mention it saves me $$$?

...and all the other reasons listed by the best forum members in the land! Seems to me like a lot of the country's issues could be solved if people slowed down a little a dealt with firewood.

Exchanging cash for finished products gets to be mundane and sometimes makes me feel really disconnected from the earth. (Think about it--when was the last time you slaughtered a steer for your hamburger or milked a cow for your breakfast cereal?) The only contact with heating oil I have is when I sometimes smell it when the tanks are filled. In contrast, it's very satisfying to enjoy the fruits of my own labor when I'm involved in every step of production to the heat that my family enjoys.

I also like the hunt for prospective firewood trees. As mentioned earlier, it's like finding treasure or panning for gold.

You bet wood is a stress reliever. Cutting it,hauling cures abit of that strees and so does not having to feed another hungry wolf(bill collector) at my doorstep.
Having that extra 3 grand a year sure does come in handy.
Having a nice warm house is great too.

During the winter as an ice fishig guide many come over while I'm cleaning the days catch and they always remark at how warm the house is......
It does not take too long for them to peel off their bibs and jackets.

We also have a squirrel problem...they do not know that they can get zapped on the power line so they blow transformers.
Well it sure is nice on a 20 below 0 day to have all of the heat I want or need in a no power situation.

Now I need to figure out if when they get zapped if they are cooked all of the way through. Might have the makings of a quick snack!

At least five of the top ten reasons are to be able to tell the propane company to stick it somewhere warm, dark and stinky. Hey wait, that's the inside of my wood boiler when the damper's shut.... :dizzy:

I had the propane guy show up unannounced Wednesday, after I had spoken to the branch manager and asked them to not deliver until I called them. He filled the tank, 250 gallons, and left a bill for just over $900 in my door. I called 'em up and said "come get your propane and your tank too". The manager, who is a friend of mine, was a little suprised to say the least. After a bit of negotiation, I managed to keep the tank, the propane, and a bill for $500. Far as I'm concerned, it's about $450 too much.

There have been several occasions where I was sawing in the front yard and an oil truck stopped to fill a neighbors oil tank. I couldn't help but grin, but I doubt the tanker driver gave a damn. He just works for the company and probably burns wood too.

10-Like going to the woods to cut
9-Relieves stress
8-no better heat than wood heat
7-Wife likes wood heat
6-I like wood heat
5-dog likes wood heat
4-oil companies like...well who cares what they like..lol
3-never have to worry about my family getting cold when power goes out
2-can still cook on wood stove when power goes out
1-Bad economy,lay-offs,empty propane tank=long cold winter...wood stove=affordable heat and peace of mind.

Back