Top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, Stihl has a lock on top handle saws.

Try the Stihl 192T. It's 2#'s lighter than a 200. Honestly, unless your a pro climber the 192's work very well. Run a 12-14" bar if you want a little more zip out of it.

+1 on this...

I just sprang for a 192, and at half the price of the 201 I'd take two. Thing weighs less than a six pack of tallboys, and so far mine runs like a miniature scalded cat. Wish I would have junked all my 011's years ago, but then I'm neither very smart nor quick on the uptake.

I gotta stop now, for I must post a new thread about my new found flippy-cap-ness. I did mention Swedish saws while layin' out cash to my friendly local "Steal" dealer. He just laughed at me, as usual!:hmm3grin2orange:

Gave my ms 201t to one of my sons what should I replace it with

Really?

What was the reason for having the 201t in the first place?
If not a (every day) pro use then I like Echo 341, if your using the saw every day or even once a week then you wouldn't have given it to your son unless he was helping you. Right?

Your son must be pleased.

I had a 192 I must of had a bad one because it was a piece of crap

I have used Stihl tophandles from day one starting with several 020AV's than 020T, and later on the MS200 and MS192 (bored out the mufflers on those). But since buying my MS 201 my faith in Stihl has gone completely.
Nowadays when I use a petrol tophandle I only use the 192 and I really can't wait for the new Husqvarna T540XP to arrive. I am really happy with my Husqvarna 536LIXP that keeps amazing me in terms of battery life and power.
If you can't wait for the Husqy you really should check out the brand new Echo 355. This new saw only gets good reviews.

...unless your a pro climber the 192's work very well.
:laugh:
That all depends on what kind of pro climber you are Rokon. For climbing pruning jobs the 192 is a gem, but when you are one of the take down crew you would probably prefer a bit more muscle in your saw.

The t540 looks likes it right up my allay wonder when it's going to be out

When I had my 192 if I would have been by any body of water I was going to see if could swim I'm glad I'm not the owner of that saw anymore

The 192T is nothing more than a 170 with a top handle.

So, Brad.. what's your take on them? I am nowhere near as much a chainsaw gearhead/historian as many of you on here. I just use them. And, to be fair, I just bought that saw the day before Thanksgiving so I can't give it an honest review yet.

I believe I recall reading a really sweet thread you did on unleashing the 201.

Pick up a used 200T for $400 or so. My last used one I bought for 375 and sold for about $360 I think. A good indicator of "how used" is the silver patch on they bottom where the mag case comes together. Get one with as little metal showing. Possible, and you're either getting a nearly new one, or one that was taken good care of.

This is the used one I kept. It is old in years, but not hours!

C3F293BD-9C60-418C-BD90-ED1D8C9CF5AA-5260-00000337D258BA05.jpg

So, Brad.. what's your take on them? I am nowhere near as much a chainsaw gearhead/historian as many of you on here. I just use them. And, to be fair, I just bought that saw the day before Thanksgiving so I can't give it an honest review yet.

I believe I recall reading a really sweet thread you did on unleashing the 201.

As much as I like Stihl pro saws, I wouldn't own anything smaller than a 250. They're just too cheaply built. The 201 is a great little saw with a little bit of work.

As much as I like Stihl pro saws, I wouldn't own anything smaller than a 250. They're just too cheaply built. The 201 is a great little saw with a little bit of work.

Ok brad then what's your pick for a great little saw with just a mm

Pick up a used 200T for $400 or so. My last used one I bought for 375 and sold for about $360 I think. A good indicator of "how used" is the silver patch on they bottom where the mag case comes together. Get one with as little metal showing. Possible, and you're either getting a nearly new one, or one that was taken good care of.

OTH...

I have replaced most of the body on one, and the clutch cover and the brake assembly on one or the other (I have two MS 200Ts) --- all from damage done while climbing. They are fragile, but I am probably too rough on them or just Klutz at times. I need to get a lanyard that gives you the option to clip the saw up close; I just use a pigtail which means the saw tends to catch on things when moving around the tree.:msp_angry:

I also found out that if the saw is hanging below you around 4 ft. on a pigtail, it is just far enough away that the acceleration on a 6 inch long by 4 in. thick stub, when dropped, is enough to shatter the plastic body with a direct hit!:bang:

How long ago did you buy that saw and when was the last time you looked at the price of a used 200t?

OTH...

I have replaced most of the body on one, and the clutch cover and the brake assembly on one or the other (I have two MS 200Ts) --- all from damage done while climbing. They are fragile, but I am probably too rough on them or just Klutz at times. I need to get a lanyard that gives you the option to clip the saw up close; I just use a pigtail which means the saw tends to catch on things when moving around the tree.:msp_angry:

I also found out that if the saw is hanging below you around 4 ft. on a pigtail, it is just far enough away that the acceleration on a 6 inch long by 4 in. thick stub, when dropped, is enough to shatter the plastic body with a direct hit!:bang:

Put a biner on the clip on the lanyard so you can clip it close

I've used all of them as work saws for pruning, oleo-macs, echos, huskys, stihls, solos, poulans etc.. the best pruning tophandle saw on the planet is a exhaust-ported and muffler-modded 12" 335xpt with the dangerous and treacherous chainbrake removed and ditched entirely. weighs a smidgeon more than a stock 192T but believe it or not out-guns the stock 200t engine. Goes off like crazy. Stock 200t is close to 2lbs heavier than a doctored 335.

Plastic 192t is the featherweight of them all, along with it's feeble and shonky tinfoil engine that's good for nothing but flicking at twigs. There's no hint of any sort of torque in a 192t.

Back to the 335 husky it's the smoothest and sleekest saw to hold with the most comfortable top handle and best handling and balance. With proper 12" setup 335's slightly front heavy, same setup 200t's are slightly rear heavy. 335's whole outer casing is sprung and vibration free, put your hand on the case of a revving 200t the vibration is wicked.

The new plasticy-looking TH huskys have regressed to the same clumsy handle design of the 020/200t with the airbox restricting wrist movement

I've used all of them as work saws for pruning, oleo-macs, echos, huskys, stihls, solos, poulans etc.. the best pruning tophandle saw on the planet is a exhaust-ported and muffler-modded 12" 335xpt with the dangerous and treacherous chainbrake removed and ditched entirely. weighs a smidgeon more than a stock 192T but believe it or not out-guns the stock 200t engine. Goes off like crazy. Stock 200t is close to 2lbs heavier than a doctored 335.

Plastic 192t is the featherweight of them all, along with it's feeble and shonky tinfoil engine that's good for nothing but flicking at twigs. There's no hint of any sort of torque in a 192t.

Back to the 335 husky it's the smoothest and sleekest saw to hold with the most comfortable top handle and best handling and balance. With proper 12" setup 335's slightly front heavy, same setup 200t's are slightly rear heavy. 335's whole outer casing is sprung and vibration free, put your hand on the case of a revving 200t the vibration is wicked.

The new plasticy-looking TH huskys have regressed to the same clumsy handle design of the 020/200t with the airbox restricting wrist movement

I had a 335 but someone broke in garage and pickup and I guess they needed about three year ago

Back