Topping and root system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dendrotechniki

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I would like to ask you a question, if there is some scientific background about the stability of a tree and to what level that would be, after a tree is topped. I would like to know about the impact of the topping to the root system and if that could be the cause of future instability for the tree. I am always talking about mature trees. If you could find some paper to send me I would be very pleased! Any clue would be very helpfull!

Thank you in advance!:msp_rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the roots to shoots ratio is put off and the tree is no longer in an equilibrium. If a large portion of above ground growth is removed, the below ground growth will reduce its mass. This means dying off, which CAN lead to root rot and decay...

But that is nothing compared to the potential problems that will happen around the giant wound you just made on the top of the tree inviting fungi, disease, pests, and included bark on the next co-dom leaders, not to mention the physical appearance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the roots to shoots ratio is put off and the tree is no longer in an equilibrium. If a large portion of above ground growth is removed, the below ground growth will reduce its mass. This means dying off, which CAN lead to root rot and decay...

But that is nothing compared to the potential problems that will happen around the giant wound you just made on the top of the tree inviting fungi, disease, pests, and included bark on the next co-dom leaders, not to mention the physical appearance.

Not sure about your first point; possible, I guess. Of course, you have all those coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) that seem to do just fine originating as sprout clumps to become groups of large sound trees 50 to 100 years later, as well as hardwoods of sprout origin. I suppose the sudden reduction in photosynthetic capacity could reduce the anti-fungal response of the tree, so that exiting root or butt rots could accelerate their activity.

Your second point is spot on, s the Brits say.

One has to consider the Mass:Energy Ratio...can a tree produce enough energy to support its mass?

If one tops a tree, in response we all know it sends out loads of watersprouts to initially compensate for the loss of photosynthetic capability...I could speculate that there may be a corresponding initial surge in root hairs...until the point is reached that the tree uses all its stored energy in these flushes of unexpected growth and can no longer produce enough energy from the watersprouts or take up enough water from new roots to support the mass and the whole shebang collapses. Pure speculation...

Interesting...

I have topped or target pruned tree tops from power lines for 30 plus years and while not ideal pruning practice I not seen any evidence of higher cases of tree root decline failure or instability in many tree varieties from my work.
I have also done much harm to tree root systems and more often they bounce back well thou root response is species dependent a lot adapt well to poor treatment others are sensitive to root harm, how this relates to tree limb removal is unclear I have seen research data on the matter but don't recall the studies topic to find it easy.

what species of tree are you thinking about ?

a study to look at and read the reference some other in there
Peltola, H., 1996. Swaying of trees in response to wind and thinning in a stand of Scots pine. Boundary-Layer

http://www.aees.org.au/Proceedings/2008_Papers/28_Haritos_James.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back