topping trees good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just anti-line, in a sense. I would love it if all lines were buried.

These sentiments come from my roots as a photographer. I can't think about how many photos have been ruined by unsightly powerlines.

Bury 'em all!

love
nick

Tophopper-I thought that was a pretty good line, spur of the moment. Here are some you could try on your clients- "yeah, those are nice looking trees, look a whole lot better on the back of a logging truck" or " yeah, nice trees but their not making any money just standining there" or the standard "log it, burn it, pave it" or my favorite " earth first-we'll log the other planets later" C'mon, theres always more trees.

Re topping kills trees, Kaimuki High School in Honolulu lost 9 large banyan trees that were topped several years ago. The heavy topping was the specs issued by the State of Hawaii DOE for bidding! They wanted a 50% size reduction done in one "trimming". There was a big uproar about it, since the large banyans were like a monument of the school. The State said they did not think anything could kill a banyan. Even a light topping will kill most arborvitaes and a lot of cypress. Although most trees in Hawaii will survive even a topping at ground level, a few species will die and I have seen many over the past 20 years.

BTW, Alex Shigo a few years ago said we have excellent line clearance work here. I agree, most cuts are made properly.

To play devils advocate Dan... and support Nick and my own personal thoughts... how many people have been killed or injured when overhead lines come down, poles hit by cars... ice storms etc... (I won't say tree limbs falling on lines out loud.. oops.. ammo for Clearance)

I'm sure high voltage transmission lines are cheaper above ground, but maybe not.. and the risks associated with living within proximity... hummm...

It is possible to build underground systems and make them work.. it's being done all over the place... it's just easier in pre-existing areas to put them on poles. I would love to see a twenty-thirty year study done by an outside auditor of overhead vs. underground installation and maintenance costs.

We have digressed of topic here I believe, but one thing has come out of it... complaints of clearance contractors and the quality of work done in maintaining the required set-backs... I do not have a lot of clearance experience, some, but it is far from my major... However, I would say two things regarding poor quality work, primarily I think it can be blamed on the service provider, rather then the contractor... sure they are the ones doing the work, but if it's not up to par... "Corrections", hold back of pay, loss of contract, it's not that hard. The bids are generally (around here) awarded to lowest qualified bidder, well if X tree company didn't perform last time because they were taking short cuts to get the contract finished, they are no longer "qualified” then eventually contactors would get the picture.

The utility contractors need to enforce harder, it can be done, and the pruning can be done right.... oh yeah and STOP PLANTING SILVER MAPLES UNDER EXSITING WIRES!

I can't believe this Mchackandkill in Northern Virginia, where I am from and work. We have always made fun of them but this guy is more then we had even joked about. I always wondered who topped all the trees we had to remove due to hazard conditions, but now I know. There really needs to be a way for companies like this to be stopped but I guess we will have to settle for them dying out. Untill then I will keep getting paid for removing and cleaning up thier hack jobs as best I can. Thank you ISA for showing us how things should really be done.

It's the double edged sword of freedom.

Since there exists no gov't requirements to hang out your sign, and offer tree services, we have a huge preponderance of unqualified, and incompetent people out there. On the flip side how many of you started out from scratch not knowing squat, and clawed your way to the top through a passion for your work? Would you have chosen this line of work if the gov't required you to take so many hours of courses and pass a bunch of tests before you were allowed to do it?

alanarbor: I agree that everyone has to start somewhere and I love taking people out climbing for the first time. What I do have a problem with is a refusal to learn! It is important to keep learning in all we do and to keep our minds open to new ideas, even if they mean what we have been doing is wrong. Ignorence is not an excuse once the truth has been put right in front of your face.

From the firewood section of McPeak's website:

Firewood

(sorry gas has skyrocketed)

am forced to raise prices a little all because of (Bush)

Once again you guys aren't listening to anything other than what you are taught, heard or go along with just to be in a group or inner circle of friends. Trees that were topped, spiked or had anything done to them a hundred years ago that is different than the way you guys do things today are still living, whats the scientific evaluation for that? I have nothing more to say to any of you. You are more less brainwashed by the so-called experts (people who came up with a way to get rich by not actually working) that it is pathetic. If I say, If, you guys are so worried about trees get out of the freakin business because you wouldn't be (cutting and or SAVING trees haha) if you weren't getting paid. Just one more thing you do your thing and I'll do mine still no hard feelings just can't understand why someone always and I mean always has a scientific explanation for everything. GOOD LUCK ! and yes I am------------------------>HAROLD McPEAK

ismyturnnow said:
Once again you guys aren't listening to anything other than what you are taught, heard or go along with just to be in a group or inner circle of friends. Trees that were topped, spiked or had anything done to them a hundred years ago that is different than the way you guys do things today are still living, whats the scientific evaluation for that? I have nothing more to say to any of you. You are more less brainwashed by the so-called experts (people who came up with a way to get rich by not actually working) that it is pathetic. If I say, If, you guys are so worried about trees get out of the freakin business because you wouldn't be (cutting and or SAVING trees haha) if you weren't getting paid. Just one more thing you do your thing and I'll do mine still no hard feelings just can't understand why someone always and I mean always has a scientific explanation for everything. GOOD LUCK ! and yes I am------------------------>HAROLD McPEAK

what a joke :rolleyes:

ismyturnnow:

yeah, i've seen many trees die from topping and spiking. if they didn't die directly from it, then they died from the huge entrance holes left for pests and disease. i've seen many borer infestations enter through spike holes. i've seen huge leaders break off of trees in storms where someone had topped the tree and it never healed solidily. i've also seen gorgeous trees that were near picture perfect, except for the freakin' ugly spike marks crawling up the tree.

has every tree that i've seen spiked or topped die?...no. but when someone has a prized tree that's worth good $$, you don't take the chance.

as for the bucket trucks, i'd like one but can't afford it just yet. what do we do? well, you throw a rope up in the tree, attach it to your saddle with this really cool knot and you pull your butt up in the tree like a man. let me tell you, it's a lot harder than with spikes. spikes for pruning is the "simple man's" easy way out.

and that's all i got to say about that, Jenny

i like this guy. harrold, i hope you keep posting. this is what I call entertainment... and who knows, you might even learn a thing or two. dont get me wrong now. i dont mean to stand in judgement of your methodology. but this a very interesting site; and it is refreshing to see the troops so riled up over something other than a personal attack or other form of negativity...

Of course Matt, especially anything for the cause.

i've seen stretches on the topside of vertical spars mottled and abused with the traffic of climbers over the years; there is no other form of life you do that to, and say you are helping it. Everything has a boundary against outside invasion, that is best not violated. The sealing and production of the more specialized callousing is a distraction to the plant resources, from other functions. The tree already has to deal with whatever wound the chainsaw will make, and the loss of productive tissue! This is all part of the total stress load. At wounding by saw, the tree must use more resources, but has less by what was removed. Every wound including spikes, adding to the load. It is simply, not best.

The better doctor will do what must be done, with minimal if any damage, to any other parts, as state of the art. Anything less, is less. All cuts, and violations that must be made, should be clean, sharp cuts. A spike driven in is more of a tattered wound/ tear spreading fibers apart.

WillClimb-Simple man here, nice what you had to say about spurs but I love it when spurless climbers tell the truth about how hard it is to spurless climb. I always thought it was a difficult way to climb but you and Redbull have confirmed it. "Pull yourself up like a man", are you saying that climbing with spurs is unmanly? I walk up the tree with my spurs, shoulders squared, upright, very manly and debonair. One handing my saw and pushing off big tops with my other hand. Manly enough to take all the sh%t and abuse from you and your ilk. Cheers.

You're running this into the ground.  Can't you simply admit that not every takedown requires spurs?

I just had a thought.  Maybe Mr. McPeak isn't talking about topping trees the same way "we" are.  Don't forget, he's outside the "educated elite" group and could very well be using the terms entirely differently than we are.

<tt>:</tt><tt>)</tt>

Back