Tops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Do you guys think there is an average of 1 face cord in the average hardwood top (almost all oak and some ash)? I bought a bunch of them (more than I and the guys that work for us can get done this year)? My Dad thinks I am out of my mind by buying tops (he thinks the owners should pay me for cleaning up the woods!) I need to make an educated guess on this. The game plan is to take the splitter, backhoe, trailers (double bottom rock boxes), JD tractor with winch, saws and plenty of sweat and get after it. I would like to tell the land owners when they could expect me to be done. I'm guessing 2 years (about 560 tops if eachowner counted correctly)

Am I stupid or what?

Varies greatly I took down a large oak hit by lightning that
made five real and full cords of, get this, limb wood!
Tree was 58" dbh and had many limbs and huge crown
one of the bigger oaks in the last few years of cutting!

Do you guys think there is an average of 1 face cord in the average hardwood top

I have a number of red oak tops on my property from the previous owner. Last time I was out cutting I filled up a mounded 8 foot pickup bed twice from cutting 3 tops (and I left everything 3-4" and down). I'd say your guestimate is pretty close from my experience.

It really depends on how much yield the logging operation went for. You could get a face cord per top if they just cut the best saw logs and left the rest.
It would also depend on the average DBH of the trees cut and their canopy spread.

I will buy tops if they are close to home and are big enough to mess with. Also need to see how bad the skidders tore up the trails. Will the land owners let you pull the tops to a landing?

Hey, you Michigan guys shouldn't be thinking about firewood right now..... it's Morel season. :clap:

Hey, you Michigan guys shouldn't be thinking about firewood right now..... it's Morel season. :clap:

Being my first year at the new property with no previous wood stored, I'm ALL about firewood right now :chainsaw: :dizzy:

Morels will have to wait :cry:

I love cutting up tree tops.
However, I would never pay for the privilege of cutting up tops for firewood. I see it as I am doing THEM a favor for cleaning up their land. I would cut and leave some firewood for the landowner, but not pay for it.
If they want money for their tops, I pass. I can always find people giving wood away.

If you don;t mind me asking how much did you pay for them? I know a few years ago guys around here were paying $4-$5 a face cord for the wood. Tops can be dangerous also. I use a skid steer whe cuting them. I grab them with the grapple bucket and lift. Cut the ends off the pull the top out. If the trailer is close enough I will hold the top over the trailer and cut the wood. It falls right into the traier and saves the loading time.

Scott

Yeah I agree, you will get a lot of good firewood, but I hope you didnt pay much at all into them. Between the equipment you are committing and time and sweat, its hard enough to make money without paying for the tops. Break the backhoe a time or two and you are working for free. I wont even mention the cost of fuel.

I know how easy it is to damage a backhoe in the woods, I have been doing that for the last two years with my 580 Case. Fixing linkage and hydraulic lines in the cold and mud sucks.

Latest posts

Back