torn rotator cuff, how soon to climb again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Luckily, I don't climb for a living.

Tore rotator cuff (MRI confirms) removing tire from rim of dump/chip truck. (Tire Iron slipped out and sudden movement is what tore it, thought I was too tough for that to happen<G>.) Cannot raise right arm more than a few inches, let alone overhead. Next doc appt Jan6th to schedule surgery.

Anyway, the question is: Anyone have rotator cuff surgery and how long was it until you were able to climb again. One friend said it took a year and a half to get get full strength back, 6 months to just get to a safe ladder clmbing strength.

Would appreciate any first or second hand experiences from anyoe who has had rotator cuff problems. DW says I ain't even getting on a ladder for 6 months.

Thank you.

The following description sounded pretty accurate from what we've heard.

http://www.stoneclinic.com/patient_ml.htm

My husband had similar surgery a couple weeks ago. Wore a sling for the first week 24/7....pain killers for the first 4-5 days (won't take an aspirin normally) Started PT this past week.

I had a fall,from a ladder,about 8 yrs ago,from 6 lousey feet,and tore a rotator.It took about 6 months,to regain about 1/2 strength.And over 2 yrs,for full recovery.I now have about normal,below the shoulder,and about 3/4 above.I don't want to be the bearer of bad news,but it takes a long time.I had to learn to do a lot of things left handed .In my case,the Dr.did not feel surgery was necessary.If it's any consulation,I can climb[steel,not trees]

i took me 3 months easy to regain"normal nearly"shoulder. up to a full year for full recovery,the more ligament damage the longer unfortunantly

Artb, I had a torn rotater cuff a number of years ago. If you dont have the surgery it seems like it will take forever to heal. Everytime you move your arm wrong and feel that twinge, you just tore it again. And everything starts over again. I would highly recommend the surgery. I was back to work in six weeks and 100% in about 2 1/2 months. Now is the perfect time of year for it also. Good Luck, Pete

Hey
I am with you on this one!
3 months of light duty just quoting and paper work and the rest of the year just going easy! :angry:
No easy way around this one it just takes time
That was 3 years ago for me and it still acts up if I push it to hard!
Take Care
John

The old man tore his @ 6 months ago. they say he'll never do this work again, being re-trained for something else (davey employee)

begleytree said:
The old man tore his @ 6 months ago. they say he'll never do this work again, being re-trained for something else (davey employee)

Ya they told me that and that scared the crap out of me and made me real mad as well!
Lucky I got the feeling back in my fingers and I got a second chance!
If you get a second chance take it and play smart from then on in, no your limits and don't push it!
Haha, what a learning curve that is!
Later
John

Latest posts

Back