Torx and Hex Bits For Saw Repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the tip...
Bolt holes tend to collect crud and if you put too many duga-dugas on it with an impact driver with just the tip of the driver bit barely inserted, it's not gonna end well.
Maybe there's some way to remember to clean out that hole and stick it all in? No short stroking allowed....

But,, even though, I have ordered the T27's,, just last week I went through my MS660 and gave it a good cleaning,,
and I simply grabbed the TORX bit out of the Kobalt bit kit that fit.

Well, after final reassembly, I found on this site I was supposed to use the T27.
I went back to the kit to see if the size was printed on the bit,, I had been using a T25,,,

I can not see any screw damage,, and I did not damage a bit,, now, I gotta say, I did not pull a head,, just the starter, etc,,,

Is it THAT bad to use a T25?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, 🤔

But,, even though, I have ordered the T27's,, just last week I went through my MS660 and gave it a good cleaning,,
and I simply grabbed the TORX bit out of the Kobalt bit kit that fit.

Well, after final reassembly, I found on this site I was supposed to use the T27.
I went back to the kit to see if the size was printed on the bit,, I had been using a T25,,,

I can not see any screw damage,, and I did not damage a bit,, now, I gotta say, I did not pull a head,, just the starter, etc,,,

Is it THAT bad to use a T25?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, 🤔

I have a craftsman set of Torx drivers that have 2 each of the most common sizes. I guess when I bought the set 20 years or more 27 wasn't common. I have been using T25 to no ill effects, but chalk that up to good luck. Getting the drivers, 2 of them, at $1.67 is a blessing. :yes:

That’s a crazy cheap deal - nice!! Keep this thread updated with how they hold up.

yes it’s very easy to accidentally use a 25 in a 27, try avoiding it though lol.

Makita is a good brand name, so they should be of high quality. Interestingly on the same order page is the other size Torx bits, and they are all several times more expensive. Almost like the T-27 was a mistake in price. Amazon will honor the price, so good for us. :yes:

I never know what size wench, socket, or bit size I am using. I just use whatever fits the best. Really shows how good a driver Torx is, that even loose fitting bits still work and don't get damaged nor do the fasteners.

OK,, I gotta admit,, I wanted a longer one also,, there is an Irwin that is T27 and 6" long,, $5 delivered,,
They got me to buy that one,, also,, 🤔

I needed a longer one to get to the screw that is between the engine, and the air filter on the MS660,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OK,, I gotta admit,, I wanted a longer one also,, there is an Irwin that is T27 and 6" long,, $5 delivered,,
They got me to buy that one,, also,, 🤔

I needed a longer one to get to the screw that is between the engine, and the air filter on the MS660,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had been looking at Bondhus t-Handle sets for Torx in the last couple of days. I figure with the extension below I can get the length and I have ratcheting bit drivers in my tool chest. Won't be the same as Bondhus, but at a significant savings that it is the best purchase.

1645752769241.png

1645752989627.png

Makita is a good brand name, so they should be of high quality. Interestingly on the same order page is the other size Torx bits, and they are all several times more expensive. Almost like the T-27 was a mistake in price. Amazon will honor the price, so good for us. :yes:

I never know what size wench, socket, or bit size I am using. I just use whatever fits the best. Really shows how good a driver Torx is, that even loose fitting bits still work and don't get damaged nor do the fasteners.
I’d have thought Milwaukee bits were good due to the brand, but I quickly learnt it wasnt the case, they are junk!

I had been looking at Bondhus t-Handle sets for Torx in the last couple of days. I figure with the extension below I can get the length and I have ratcheting bit drivers in my tool chest. Won't be the same as Bondhus, but at a significant savings that it is the best purchase.

View attachment 968108

View attachment 968110
Links? Or source info?

View attachment 968108

View attachment 968110

I have never regretted buying my set of Bondhus T handle torx bit set, the T27 has seen serious over torque removing others ham fisted fasteners from cylinder bases. The T27 long shaft impact I use in the 1/4 " drive has also payed for itself many times over.

I have had them in and out of my Amazon shopping cart 1/2 a dozen times in the last 5 days.

I have had them in and out of my Amazon shopping cart 1/2 a dozen times in the last 5 days.
It`s only money, soon forgotten once one uses a good quality tool , that`s been my motto since day one buying and using tools. That has been so many years now and my first tool set is still with me. In the 60`s Sears sold real Craftsman heavy chrome plated tools. I have yet to actually wear one out, broke two combination wrenches , totally my own doing horsing with a slip over pipe. I bought new replacements and wouldn`r dream of asking to have them replaced under warranty, they still reside in one of my many tool chests as a reminder of my foolishness/ need to get a rusted/seized bolt out under difficult conditions.

Back