Total Bar Group Buy until Monday the 24th!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One question, am I really suppose to use that grease hole in the tip?

It depends a bit on what you're cutting. In green timber and particularly softwoods I wouldn't be quite so worried about greasing one of these tips. When cutting old, dirty, dead, Australian hardwood on a 120°f river floodplain then I definitely would. Earlier Tsumura tips were prone to failure and this was well documented but for a while now they have been fine after an upgrade/improvement. They are tough bars and Jakmax has been selling them in Australia for many years now with no issues at all and this includes full time firewood cutters that can kill anything as their IQ's generally run around single digits. Sadly they only sell 20" and 24" in .058" and .063" sprocket nose which is why I bought a few from Randy.

Clear coating a bar would really make these looks sweet. How do you do it, I would hate to ruin my new bars.

These bars already have a light clearcoat. If you want it to sit on your shelf and look pretty by all means run extra clearcoat on it. If you decide to use it though and the extra clearcoat melts and gums up your nose sprocket and rails then maybe it's not a good idea. Maybe buy two lots of bars from Randy, one set to use and one set to look pretty.
OK, I'll go out on a limb here, don't clearcoat it ;)

Nuthin. Can't afford to replace it ;)

Tracking says my bars hit Aus yesty, bet they won't make it me till next week.

Yep. Normally takes 3-4 days for them to hit Australian shores, then another week for Australia Post to get their crap together.

My bars were waiting on me in the carport when I woke up this afternoon. I'll snap a pic when I get a chain on em.

Matt's right, clearcoat on a bar turns into a sticky gummy bulls arse of a mess. Its not the answer.

Clear coating a bar would really make these looks sweet. How do you do it, I would hate to ruin my new bars.

Clear coat after proper prep and bake it at 160-170 degrees. Do one side at a time or hang it up and bake, easy cheesy! Spray cans work just fine. This isn't rocket science here. These Total bars have factory baked clear on them.

Green sugar maple. I'll look at some other possibilities then.

Was using a brand new loop of RSC and did some cross cutting and blocking. Looked like "fiberous" strands in the oil hole.

Looked like "fiberous" strands in the oil hole.

Hmmm. Interesting. Not familiar with that species but certain wood types can cause issues in all bars. What bar brands have you used in this wood before that have fared better? The angled oil holes (GB etc) tend to have a better reputation against blockages.

I've never had a problem with any bar in sugar maple and its like a weed here. I'll let you know when my new bars get here but I have other tsumuras and they work fine.

My NOS Pioneer bars are bad for plugging, and most of them have angled holes, they're just too small. I ream them out with a carbide on a dremel.

For all these guys who want to clear coat a new bar.

Are we using these bars or wanting to get a hotel room and make babies with it?

I have no issues with somebody wanting to clear coat an old bar for a collectible saw but got me beat why anybody would want to clear coat a new bar that's already clear coated?

For all these guys who want to clear coat a new bar.

Are we using these bars or wanting to get a hotel room and make babies with it?

I have no issues with somebody wanting to clear coat an old bar for a collectible saw but got me beat why anybody would want to clear coat a new bar that's already clear coated?

We gonna need some pics of the hotel room. Before and after. Just not during.

If you sire any .050 gauge misfits I'll take them.

You guys are tough in Oz.

We gonna need some pics of the hotel room. Before and after. Just not during.

If you sire any .050 gauge misfits I'll take them.

You guys are tough in Oz.

I think you've misunderstood. I shan't be the one procreating with a standard Tsumura bar.

Maybe a lightweight Tsumura but I certainly won't be getting down and jiggy with a standard Tsumura.

I think you've misunderstood. I shan't be the one procreating with a standard Tsumura bar.

Maybe a lightweight Tsumura but I certainly won't be getting down and jiggy with a standard Tsumura.

Point taken. Its good to know you do have some scruples.

Those fat bottom Cannon bars are sort of interesting......

I'm worried you even consider receiving 20+" of bar :msp_w00t: :frown:

Been too cold here or too busyto try and confirm chain requirements, need to get ships elsewhere as you're not a dom :msp_tongue:

Back