Tow behind lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyS

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used one of those tow behind aerial lifts? I see they have some that go 50' or so and they looked quite interesting. Thanks for any info.

I've used a 45' BilJax tow behind. Personally, I thought it was scary. Too much movement for me. Also couldn't get the reach that I needed unless I could get right under the tree, which is rarely an option.

I've used the tow behinds as well as bucket trucks. Let me tell you it is much more reassuring to be in a lift mounted on a 22K lb truck when dropping limbs. One good smack on an outrigger from a 150 lb chunk of wood could send your tow behind manlift tumbling.

Also consider that decent bucket trucks are available for $30K or less if you are a good shopper and know how to inspect one thoroughly. Tow behind lifts are good for painters and sign changers.

skwerl said:
I've used the tow behinds as well as bucket trucks. Let me tell you it is much more reassuring to be in a lift mounted on a 22K lb truck when dropping limbs. One good smack on an outrigger from a 150 lb chunk of wood could send your tow behind manlift tumbling.

Also consider that decent bucket trucks are available for $30K or less if you are a good shopper and know how to inspect one thoroughly. Tow behind lifts are good for painters and sign changers.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

I have used a eagle lift , 37' We had it at Davey . We are the walnut capitol here in Northern California so we used it on our local orchards , It was a handy item , a little scary to use , outriggers were manual fold out and jack style which were a pain in the neck . I liked our super duty ford with the altec squirt much better

I disagree fellas, mine has a working height of 56' horizonal reach of 30'. 500lb basket capacity, stows 5'6" wide and can fit through double doors. One man can move it around on flat conctete, 3 can roll it just about anywhere thats flat, or 2 can do even more with an MA setup. Its invaluable for getting in tight areas and only weighs 4500lbs. The highest loading of any outrigger is 2800lbs and it can operate off of the batteries or the gas (the machine is a gas/electric/hydraulic setup). The way the boom articulates and extends lends itself to working in trees much better. The Here is some pics of the smurf at work:

Financialconceptsgettingmanliftinth.jpg

Financialconcertsliftsetup.jpg

Financialconceptslookingwest.jpg

BigEForkedtreetakingoffneighborslea.jpg

BigEForkedTreeheadinguplastleaderst.jpg

The main drawbacks I have seen is it doesnt over center, and its not insulated. The machine has nearly paid for itself, probably already has, havent kept up with it as well as I hoped. It takes some trust that it will hold you, with a 500lb cap it opens some possiblities not available with a bucket including setting up on a steeper grade. New it only costs 28 grand.

That is what I use to use before I bought my truck. Every tool has its place. The tow behind is hard to manuver in tight yards. And if you have to move it spot to spot around the tree it is a PITA compared to the truck

In the tow behinds defense. It is very easy on the yards cheaper then a truck and if you get the electric ones with the batteries it is cheap to use. NO GAS.

Lumberjack said:

Okay, I'll give you credit. Those are some good and tight spots. I was wondering what happened with that last tree. Good job. There are some jobs where I can see one being beneficial. The largest ones at the rental shops here are 45' though.

TreeJunkie said:
LJ,

Great pics...where did you pic yours up? Used? Mind telling me what a good used one goes for? \\

Mine was a rental that I started using right before the hurricane and never gave it back, I payed $17.5k for mine. It has 80ish hours on it when I got it, I got a great deal.

The price depends on the options, age and how cared for it is. For a TZ50 genie, I wouldnt spend less than 10 grand on one, they are pretty easy to look over, specially when you got alot of face time with one.

PTS said:
That is what I use to use before I bought my truck. Every tool has its place. The tow behind is hard to manuver in tight yards. And if you have to move it spot to spot around the tree it is a PITA compared to the truck

In the tow behinds defense. It is very easy on the yards cheaper then a truck and if you get the electric ones with the batteries it is cheap to use. NO GAS.

I have to disagree with you. How is it easier to manuver a 12-16 ton 7' wide truck through a yard over a 22' long 2 ton 5'6" wide machine? Moving it depends on the terrain, but I have never considered it a PITA to have to move it around. The picture of that live oak was the first job I did with it, took me 7-8 hours to get it on the ground working by myself.

Whats wrong with gas? The whole gas unit would cost less than 800 bucks to replace, hell its only a 5.5hp honda and an alternator... It burns less gas than an 460 and it greatly extends your operating time (as long as you have gas), it keeps the batteries charged and can be started and cut off from the basket including the choke.

Wheres the problem?

Redbull said:
Okay, I'll give you credit. Those are some good and tight spots. I was wondering what happened with that last tree. Good job. There are some jobs where I can see one being beneficial. The largest ones at the rental shops here are 45' though.

The last piece pictured weighed around 2300lbs. If your wondering what happened to the tree, Asplund topped it. If your asking for the final shots of the tree coming down, they will be in day after tomorrow. I plan on taking 1 more chunk, the defect, then start lifting chunks with the manlift (remember that 500lb cap I was reffering too?) using 2 slings set opposing each other. I may be able to get 2 more chunks, but I will have to feel it out, the tree is 2.89'DBH.

Lumberjack said:
The last piece pictured weighed around 2300lbs. If your wondering what happened to the tree, Asplund topped it. If your asking for the final shots of the tree coming down, they will be in day after tomorrow. I plan on taking 1 more chunk, the defect, then start lifting chunks with the manlift (remember that 500lb cap I was reffering too?) using 2 slings set opposing each other. I may be able to get 2 more chunks, but I will have to feel it out, the tree is 2.89'DBH.

No, I meant I read about that job "somewhere else" and was wondering how you decided to tackle it.

TreeCo said:
Nice looking unit Carl.

I used one about 6 months ago and it really worked out nice. I like the quiet of the electric motors. The one I used has a gas engine also like yours does. I was told the gas engine does not recharge the batteries when it's running and that didn't make sense to me but oh well.

Does your engine recharge the batteries when it's running? And what engine is on it? The batteries in the one I used lasted the whole 4 hours I used it so battery life is pretty good.

Dan

Thanks Dan, as long as your not moving mine charges the batteries. How long you use it is highly subjective as to how much you move around. Moving around alot with the motor running you will discharge the batteries, its a wash. The motor is a 5.5hp honda turning an alternator. Its quirky when it charges the batteries, but its never left me hanging (pardon the pun). You can look at the charging wire on the alternator and the cable going to the electric motor and know that it doesnt supply full power, only suppliments or charges.

Back