Tow straps are fun :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Haven't had to twitch a log in a while...only had a a couple rows of firewood at the rear of my bed for weight, and pretty soft lawn, but the log came over nicely. A bit of work courtesy of Irene that I'm finally getting cleaned up.

Something very satisfying moving an object this big that easily.

PA210794_small.jpg

It had been on the other side of the log you see in the back now. The ground drops away steeply so there was no good way for me to cut it up where it laid.

Back before I bought this house, I spend summer evenings after work going through a pile of tree tops behind my sister's place. Often used this same tow strap and logging chain I used today to twitch logs from the main pile...while one side was extended out, I'd go right zip-zip-zip to block it, and then the much shorter piece left was easy to move myself to cut up.

Anyway, after I got done with that fun I go to run an errand and get a pizza and I see these guys down by the garden -- which they haven't bothered at all. This crew loves the grass and especially dandelion leaves. I think there's five in the pic, I counted eight and I'm not sure that was the definitive answer!

PA210796_small.jpg

I really need to learn how to dress a deer and buy a freezer :) One of them was so close to my house the other day eating the dandelions I wouldn't have needed a gun, I could've taken her out with a well thrown cast iron skillet.

Do it! Gutting a deer is not to big a deal. Great skill to have.

Nice pics! They don't dare try that in my yard.....the trees or the deer :msp_w00t:

I have been getting a lot of use out of a 20,000 lb tow strap cleaning up from Irene -- it really comes in handy for pullung trees down, dragging them, and even rolling logs for cuts. I just have to remember that the strap is way stronger than both my come-along and my trailer hitch...

I really need to learn how to dress a deer and buy a freezer :)

What color dress??? :msp_tongue: Think your misses would think of it as cheating??? :dizzy:

hahahaha sorry..

Its easy to dress out a deer. Its easy to butcher it also. It is worth your time to read a book on getting the best cuts of meat. and what ever ya do don't forget the back straps :clap: yum yum...

Nice looking place you have there.

If you can take apart a chainsaw you can take apart a deer. Just don't use one on the other.

Actually if you have a Wright blade saw you can use it on meat.... However, I would suggest the deer be cleaned and skinned prior to doing so.

Dalm...

Couple things here....

I will be up tommorrow.

I will teach you to quarter and butcher them there pests.

As well, Never use the pan, always use a good high velocity projectile. You don't want to waste meat on something so tasty over haste.

You may not need a freezer if you give enough meat to your teacher and mentor. Just your average freezer will do if you get rid of the Hot Pockets and Ben an' Jerry's.

Fertilize the dandelions. Perhaps overwinter some in a green house. Whatever it takes, the dandelion is worth keeping.....

Really, skinning and quartering is easy, processiing every last bit takes a little time and energy and sometimes is worth finding the country butcher, or leaving some for the vultures.....

Depending on the laws and the population trend in your 100 mile radius, you can take and still keep the varmints coming back.

Internet,laptop,saranwrapforthemouse,gutbucket,sharpknife,stone,- whatya got to lose?

Now, I gotta go get my crap together, I have intention of putting some meat in the freezer tommorrow.

White tails are a wonderfull source of protein. Working them up is not to bad, just cut everything off that does not look like meat.
As for the tug strap, I don't use mine a whole lot for wood but there good (and safer) for another rig that is stuck or high centered so I do have a few. For the wood game I use chain, or sometimes steel wire rope. You can run chain through heck and back with almost no dammage. In the mud, over rocks, through briers, and there alot easyer than a strap to shorten to any length you need. Also it looks like your pulling from the front of your truck, not sure? Strap or chain, pull from the back of the truck when at all possible, the whole front end and your rear ring gear will thank you.:smile2:

Ted

Yeah, but they put the cool looking tow hooks on the front of these guys :) Though the Ford is the pain in the butt eye style, my S-10 had real handy hooks.

I don't have to do this too often, those straps are at least 20 years old. Got a couple 6' logging chains that are a year or two newer that I usually use around the tree, but this was just too easy to just loop the strap there. The straps and chains are two of the best things I've ever bought for value over a lifetime.

My B-I-L once broke down in his 1 ton Dodge plow truck about a mile on back roads from his house. I towed him home with chains...and since I had the hooks at the front of the S-10 I towed him the whole way in reverse :D That had to have been quite the pic for anyone who saw that operation.

I use log chains and wire rope for wood cutting. They are much better for abrasive conditions like rocks sand and mud. My straps stay in the Jeep for off road recovery.

Back