towing a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being as how we have to go 30+ miles to get to the woods we had to haul our spilter, giving up wood hauling capacity. Soooooooooo I mounted it into a trailer made out of a compact PU box, really slick, I'll try to post some pictures of it later...

WidowMaker

Being as how we have to go 30+ miles to get to the woods we had to haul our spilter, giving up wood hauling capacity. Soooooooooo I mounted it into a trailer made out of a compact PU box, really slick, I'll try to post some pictures of it later...

WidowMaker

Okay, I have never posted a picture so I'm not sure what will happen but here goes...

Never mind, guess I won't, don't know how... We need a TEST area for knot heads like me... BYGUM I think I've got it...:blob2: :blob2:

WidowMaker

Last edited:
Everybody I know puts their splitters on another trailer, or in the bed of a truck if it has to go far. However a few months back I towed a splitter for a friend of mine... his machine, and he told me to do it. We took it from Shenorock to Ossining... so a solid 20+ miles... going down 100 I know I don't do under 50. The hitch is bent on the splitter, but I guess it was alright? Not something I'd care to do with my own machine though (if I had my own).

Okay, I have never posted a picture so I'm not sure what will happen but here goes...

Never mind, guess I won't, don't know how... We need a TEST area for knot heads like me... BYGUM I think I've got it...:blob2: :blob2:

WidowMaker

Good work on the pics!

Nice looking splitter there. Few questions:

That looks like it is mounted on rails so it can slide out and be used horizontally also. Correct?

Is it finished or a work in progress?

If it is finished, what is the power source?

Just an observation but... I put my valve dead center above the ram so I could use it from either side.

Harry K

Good work on the pics!

Nice looking splitter there. Few questions:

Thanks, we get a lot of compliments on it in the woods..

That looks like it is mounted on rails so it can slide out and be used horizontally also. Correct?

Yes it could be used horizonally if one wanted, the wood we normally cut is usually 20" to 30 + inckes in dia so we use it vertically.

Is it finished or a work in progress?

It's pretty much finished. I will pull the rails out in the next few weeks for sand blasting and painting, pickup a few hyd drips and seaps and be ready to go for the season

If it is finished, what is the power source?

It's a B& S 9 1/2 HP. The engine and hydraluic tank are mounted on the frame in front of the box. See picture #1

Just an observation but... I put my valve dead center above the ram so I could use it from either side.

It can be operated from either side but best from the passenger side of the trailer. Of course the trailer carries all of our saws, mix, oil, cables, chains, snatch blocks and other gear.

Harry K

WidowMaker

Last edited:
I towed my splitter to the father-in-laws a while ago, only about 12 miles. The splitter is a horiz/vert. The return line for the splitter shifted over during the drive and had a party with one of the tires :bang: :bang: Luckily it didnt rub all of the way through the line or 8 gals of fluid would have lost. Lesson learned, bungee down hydro lines that have excess slack!

mine is 11 ft long--with rambler spindles for axles--normally just short distances--but--this summer--took it to pastors house to do some trees--100 mi one way--70 down the freeway--towed fine--never heard of a bearing problem like the one mentioned---:greenchainsaw:

Back