Towing the Timberwolf Commercial splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefs584ever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to see if anyone could give me feedback on towing the Timberwolf TW5 down the highway. Will it tow at 60mph, or is it a splitter that needs to be trailered for a longer haul? I am looking at purchasing one of these and the towability is a big portion of the decision.

When I pull the trigger, I will have a 2 year old Speeco for sale. Only had about 4 cords split on it.

I know you are all probably wondering why the Timberwolf when only splitting a small amount, but keep in mind that I really need a log lift. I get trees in the 36" - 48" diameter range dropped at my house from some tree companys. With a bad back, wrestling them becomes quite painful and I am thinking a log lift and a 4 way wedge will help lessen the handling and give me a better feeling back at the end of the day.

Sometimes, you have to spend a bit to make the job more managable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:
I can't speak to that particular splitter but I'd be surprised if ANY splitter can, or ought to, be towed at that speed. I think the tires are rated for 45 MPH. No suspension means that the splitter will be bouncing all over the place. I wouldn't want to take a chance or burning out the bearings either. I wouldn't hesitate to trailer it if I was going more than a mile or so, especially at highway speeds.

I towed mine (tw-6) once. Not only are these heavy and well built machines tough on bearings at speed but without suspension, you will feel like it kicks you in the back every time you hit a bump. When the wife jackknifed ours a few months back (long story and I just get aggravated thinking about it) and snapped an axle I should have replaced both with some torsion units.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback. I was curious as to the bigger tires and wider footprint. I guess I never really considered the lack of the suspension. Overall, how do you like your timberwolves?

thanks for the feedback. I was curious as to the bigger tires and wider footprint. I guess I never really considered the lack of the suspension. Overall, how do you like your timberwolves?

I would have to say that once of if you get a TW-5 you will be amazed with it. But it is going to cover you in split peaces and splitter trash, and another thing I can say is it does not matter witch way the wood goes though it its going to split it or just cross cut the grain. I would say that I do over 150 cords a year 5 for me and 6-8 for my dad and the rest is sold to buy more toys (for the kids that is). I cant say enough good things about mine.

My -6 is an old one. Bought it well used. When I made the step up from a box store horiz/vert, I was thrilled and have no regrets. Mine doesn't have the lift and I recently added the outfeed table. The table is a must. Without it you will be buried in splits in about 5 minutes. It also does a pretty decent job of putting the trash in one spot out of the good stuff. The 4 and 6 way wedges will generate more trash but the boost in production will make you happy. When I say splitter trash I don't mean it gets wasted. I fill up some dog food bags with it and store it in the top of the shed to dry for kindling. When my supply is lined up I then give a box/bag full to anyone that I sell to. They are thrilled with the little unadvertised "bonus".

timberwolf wooof

I would like to see if anyone could give me feedback on towing the Timberwolf TW5 down the highway. Will it tow at 60mph, or is it a splitter that needs to be trailered for a longer haul? I am looking at purchasing one of these and the towability is a big portion of the decision.

When I pull the trigger, I will have a 2 year old Speeco for sale. Only had about 4 cords split on it.

I know you are all probably wondering why the Timberwolf when only splitting a small amount, but keep in mind that I really need a log lift. I get trees in the 36" - 48" diameter range dropped at my house from some tree companys. With a bad back, wrestling them becomes quite painful and I am thinking a log lift and a 4 way wedge will help lessen the handling and give me a better feeling back at the end of the day.

Sometimes, you have to spend a bit to make the job more managable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The Timberwolf folks state that you need to carry the TW-5 with a transport trailer

buy a lanscape trailer with a hand winch or buy a small ramsey winch to pull it up.

For a fraction of what the tw5 cost you can get a log lift pay somebody to install it for you and get a small landscape trl to haul it around.

How far is the question

I tow my TW2-HD, the same splitter as a TW-5 less log and wedge lift over the road up ro 20 miles to the jobsite. I stay under 40 mph and have no issues over the past year. If I had to hit the Interstate then I would most definitely trailer it to the site.

Shutting the gas off and running the engine dry before towing is a good idea, Failure to do so can allow gas to get in the cylinder as the splitter bounces down the road, and eventually into the oil causing all kinds of problems.

Take Care

You would think that a splitter builder would be able to produce a product worthy of towing down the road at any given highway speed. Now the SS is a rather short unit to begin with, but I would think the larger, longer TW's and Split Right's, etc. would have the travel part figured out.....

A friend of mine was following a dump truck that was towing a splitter and he said a pot hole made it flip sideways and brake from the ball.He pulled over to check it out and was there a while and the guy never came back so he figured he didn't notice it happened and took it home.It was pretty banged up but it still worked.

What's fun is trying to back up with a splitter!

I have a long bed truck and I can't see it from the driver's seat...

What's fun is trying to back up with a splitter!

I have a long bed truck and I can't see it from the driver's seat...

Yeah

Things can get a bit exciting especially in a landing with lots of rocks, stumps, and holes.

Using the slow moving vehicle triangle as a guide certainly helps.

Take Care

You can also tie a tall flag on the tail end of the splitter so you can see where it's headed when you're backing.

Latest posts

Back