Tracks make the Difference!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run a lot of tracks and tires. Tires are fine some of the time and with a good operator, which are few and hard to find, will get a lot done with tires in conditions that would surprise most. I'm not one of those good operators and prefer the original Cat track system they got from ASV. I won't run a machine with the Bobcat track system or any variation thereof.

Steel over the tire tracks have a place, but I feel that while they let you keep working you pay a price in the mess they make. I take them on a case by case basis since they are useful at times and work good if you have a slick surface over a solid base.

Mr. HE:cool:

People who like the ASV system aren't the one's who have ever worked on a ASV track system. There is a reason caterpillar stopped production of its tracked skid steer years ago when they first entered into the skid loader market. They wouldnt stand up to the abuse of a construction site. They did iron out the troubles, but they didnt make them easy to maintain. Bobcats simply need a little grease pumped into the cylinder to tighten the tracks. Cats need a special tool kit with a over-sized bolt mechanism attached to given places on the undercarriage. I wont even get into how big of a pain it is to change a track or even replace a boggie wheel.

i was told by a know it all once that in order to run the OTT like that one of the drive chains is supposed to be disconnected so only the front or rear wheels are driving. Is there any truth to this or was i being filled full of BS?

Never heard of that, but that doesnt mean its not true. Either way, i'm not taking any chains off till theyre wore out.

People who like the ASV system aren't the one's who have ever worked on a ASV track system. There is a reason caterpillar stopped production of its tracked skid steer years ago when they first entered into the skid loader market. They wouldnt stand up to the abuse of a construction site. They did iron out the troubles, but they didnt make them easy to maintain. Bobcats simply need a little grease pumped into the cylinder to tighten the tracks. Cats need a special tool kit with a over-sized bolt mechanism attached to given places on the undercarriage. I wont even get into how big of a pain it is to change a track or even replace a boggie wheel.

So who makes CAT track system? ASV?

ASV is now Terex. I have a 2010 PT80. Track tightening takes less than five minutes and requires only a big wrench and some spray lube to loosen the nuts.

So who makes CAT track system? ASV?

Cat bought ASV or the ASV track system and used them on cat skid loaders. The cat skid loaders displayed a ASV logo on the undercarriage of the machines. Which really doesnt make sense to me. Because cat has been making track systems as long as they have been in business, yet uses a different companies tracks on their machines. The OP asked if there was a difference between factory tracks and slip over. Yes, there definitely is the cost of owning factory tracks can only be justified if the machine is making you money vs a homeowner machine. Below is a cost example of a ASV track system and cost/hour of owning a track machine.

Complete replacement undercarriage from Terex
Undercarriage $18332
Tax $1604
Labor WAG $2000
Total $21936 .... $16.78/hour

Complete parts replacement
2 Tracks $4832
4 14" wheels $3414
10 bogie whls $6901
Tax $1325
Labor WAG $4000
Total $20472 .... $15.66/hour

Partial parts
2 Tracks $4832
4 14" wheels $3414
Tax $ 721
Labor WAG $3000
Total $11967 .... $9.15/hour

Tracks only
2 Tracks $4832
Tax $ 422
Labor WAG $2000
Total $ 7254 .... $5.55/hour

i was told by a know it all once that in order to run the OTT like that one of the drive chains is supposed to be disconnected so only the front or rear wheels are driving. Is there any truth to this or was i being filled full of BS?

Never heard of that, but that doesnt mean its not true. Either way, i'm not taking any chains off till theyre wore out.

That was true at one time when the steel slip overs first came out (15+yrs ago). Bobcat wouldnt warranty a new machine if the front set of chains were connected. Because too much stress was being put on the chains and they were breaking as a result. Even with the front set of chains not connected, there was no noticeable difference in the way the machine operated. If the operator didnt know this fact, he never would have guessed. Bobcat must have beefed up the drive chains a few years later because all of a sudden it was ok to keep the fronts connected.

vanyru7a.jpg

broke down and bought a set. Let it rain!

Figured i would give a little update on the Eel steel tracks. Driving around on my gravel driveway this weekend, they made for a real rough ride and tore the heck out of the gravel(that should be a given though). Moving around on my gravel driveway made me think i might have messed up buying them, that was until today! Finally got a chance to take the 751 with the new tracks over to the property i've been clearing on for the last year. The property is on a slight hill side(atleast where i am clearing) so i am constantly going up or down a hill or out the side of it and it usually stays some what wet. Long story short, i couldn't push up hill, back drag up hill, or cut going out the side of a hill. Before, the machine always just wanted to spin/slide and was very aggrevating and a waste of time. With these tracks on, it was like a whole new machine. I could actually cut on grade, bury my teeth and back drag in packed dirt, and even drive one side of the machine off into a muddy whole until the belly would drag and then back out of the whole while dragging dirt into the whole to fill it without spinning a track. I was blown away by how much work i was able to get done in such a short time. Today is the first time i actually felt like my machine earned its keep and progress was made at the property. I was trying to hurry to beat the rain so no pics were took.

For anyone considering buying a set of steel tracks for a tire machine,,,,DO IT!!!!!!!! Your machine will have twice the capability.:rock:

Just my 2 cents

Figured i would give a little update on the Eel steel tracks. Driving around on my gravel driveway this weekend, they made for a real rough ride and tore the heck out of the gravel(that should be a given though). Moving around on my gravel driveway made me think i might have messed up buying them, that was until today! Finally got a chance to take the 751 with the new tracks over to the property i've been clearing on for the last year. The property is on a slight hill side(atleast where i am clearing) so i am constantly going up or down a hill or out the side of it and it usually stays some what wet. Long story short, i couldn't push up hill, back drag up hill, or cut going out the side of a hill. Before, the machine always just wanted to spin/slide and was very aggrevating and a waste of time. With these tracks on, it was like a whole new machine. I could actually cut on grade, bury my teeth and back drag in packed dirt, and even drive one side of the machine off into a muddy whole until the belly would drag and then back out of the whole while dragging dirt into the whole to fill it without spinning a track. I was blown away by how much work i was able to get done in such a short time. Today is the first time i actually felt like my machine earned its keep and progress was made at the property. I was trying to hurry to beat the rain so no pics were took.

For anyone considering buying a set of steel tracks for a tire machine,,,,DO IT!!!!!!!! Your machine will have twice the capability.:rock:

Just my 2 cents

I told you so! :cool2:

Just make sure you keep them tight. They will walk off the tires if not kept tight. If you don't mind me asking how much do they cost now?

I told you so! :cool2:

Just make sure you keep them tight. They will walk off the tires if not kept tight. If you don't mind me asking how much do they cost now?

They are real tight, so tight that i called the manufactor to make sure i couldnt cause damage to my machine. I bought their special made clevis's that will take out some slack once they start to wear some. After seeing what the are, i could have made my own. Also forgot to mention how much smoother the ride is. My 751 is a shorter wheelbase machine and will beat the crap out of you on uneven terrain, but that is not a problem now.

$750 for the tracks, $43 for 4 special clevis's, and $190 shipping truck freight. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Regarding the ASV tracks, you can get an aftermarket hydraulic/grease cylinder to replace the track tensioner and it makes tensioning a real easy job - just a few pumps of grease and you're done.

Also make sure you buy really good quality tracks OEM is possible. Our dealer replaces our ASV tracks with aftermarket (unbeknown to us) and we has serious tensioning problems. they kept stretching and jumping on the drive wheel sprocket. We ended up having a big who-ha with the dealer and they confessed using AM parts - long story short, they fitted genuine ASV tracks and we haven't had a problem since.

Do you mind taking a close up picture of where they welded the links to the steel bars? It looks like there is a slot in the steel bars for the chain link to be welded into. thanks.

Theres no slot, the link is welded straight to the track. But, the track is bent in a slight "u" shape. I'm guessing this gives you two sharp edges for traction instead of just a flat track. Hope the pics show what I'm trying to explain.
a8ybu3yb.jpg

nehu4ugy.jpg

The "u" shape is probably to keep the bar from bending (adds rigidity end to end). Making a biting edge was probably just a byproduct.

The "u" would add some strength but i think the main purpose is to prevent sharp edges from digging into the side wall of the tires. The "u" shape provides a smother curved surface where it comes in contact with the sides of the tires.

Whatever they are for, they work.

It crossed my mind to try and make my own but bending that much steel without a huge press and fixture would be a nightmare.

Whatever they are for, they work.

It crossed my mind to try and make my own but bending that much steel without a huge press and fixture would be a nightmare.

Yup not to mention all the jigging and 3 days of welding.

Back