Tractor Tire Chains for snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys have R4's on your tractors?

We've got ag tires on our Branson 3820, rear tires are filled with beet juice and I found it close to unstoppable in 4wd last year. And we had more snow in NE last year than we've had in a long time.

I couldn't get it to go through a dense drift up hill that was about 6" deeper than the top of the front axle, but I honestly don't think chains would've done it any better. It was trying to push up and climb over so much snow it was about stalling out. I just dug my way through. Things drain pretty well around here though so we don't usually have lots of ice to deal with.

We do put chains on our '63 MF 85, that does pretty well in the snow with chains, near useless w/o em.

You guys have R4's on your tractors?

We've got ag tires on our Branson 3820, rear tires are filled with beet juice and I found it close to unstoppable in 4wd last year. And we had more snow in NE last year than we've had in a long time.

I couldn't get it to go through a dense drift up hill that was about 6" deeper than the top of the front axle, but I honestly don't think chains would've done it any better. It was trying to push up and climb over so much snow it was about stalling out. I just dug my way through. Things drain pretty well around here though so we don't usually have lots of ice to deal with.

We do put chains on our '63 MF 85, that does pretty well in the snow with chains, near useless w/o em.

that's just what my tractor came with when I bought it used. I'm kinda glad it's got em actually.....much easier on yard if I need to go through it.

R4 tires have a tendancy to pack and polish snow so you can't drive or walk on it if it's at the right temprature. If it is much colder, they seem OK. I have used all types of tires, with or without weight, in most conditions and would not have R4 tires without chains for winter. Ag tires are the best in the woods with no chains. Turfs with weight work great for driveway work because the tires have lots of small tread. Chains on turfs are great because the chains can't get between the tread blocks. If you are going down in the woods to get wood...you will love the chains on any tire type. Chains are a pain on pavement because they ride rough, scratch the pavement, and wear out quicker. Make sure you have plenty of clearance and get "installation tips" from someone that has used them alot.

that's just what my tractor came with when I bought it used. I'm kinda glad it's got em actually.....much easier on yard if I need to go through it.

Heh, it is a minor drawback to the ag tires, but we absolutely needed them for the land around here and a little haggling with the local Branson dealer got em at no extra cost, which was good. I try and use that tractor as little as possible on the lawn but I don't have many wet spots so the only time they really do any damage is if I turn too sharp. Then, man, it's like you dragged a turf cutter across it. Less to mow though :)

headlyj I've got the same size and style tire as yours. Only difference is the color of the tractor. I've probably spent more time on tirechain.com than i have on AS in the last month. Debating non-stop on which style. My biggest problem is fender clearance. I wanted to go with double ring chains, eh not happening. still tire kicking i guess. definetly need the chains though. lots of plowing uphill.

COME ON WINTER!!!!!!!!

headlyj I've got the same size and style tire as yours. Only difference is the color of the tractor. I've probably spent more time on tirechain.com than i have on AS in the last month. Debating non-stop on which style. My biggest problem is fender clearance. I wanted to go with double ring chains, eh not happening. still tire kicking i guess. definetly need the chains though. lots of plowing uphill.

COME ON WINTER!!!!!!!!

I called tirechain.com and asked about recommended clearance for the V-bar chains - they said 1.5-2"

R4 tires have a tendancy to pack and polish snow so you can't drive or walk on it if it's at the right temprature. If it is much colder, they seem OK. I have used all types of tires, with or without weight, in most conditions and would not have R4 tires without chains for winter. Ag tires are the best in the woods with no chains. Turfs with weight work great for driveway work because the tires have lots of small tread. Chains on turfs are great because the chains can't get between the tread blocks. If you are going down in the woods to get wood...you will love the chains on any tire type. Chains are a pain on pavement because they ride rough, scratch the pavement, and wear out quicker. Make sure you have plenty of clearance and get "installation tips" from someone that has used them alot.

and chains in iowa, on tractors, unless the law changed, are illegal...on paved surfaces..

alot of times I'm driving to get the wood in the woods with a boompole on the back and forks on front....empty.....that's where I slip and slide down/ up the hills and why I want the chains. It's not really an issue with the wood on there.

Yep them straight barred ones are the best. But hey any chain is loads better than none.

i have the "double ring" style on my kubota l4400. they look like what you would see on a skidder. they really do make an enormous difference in traction; i really dont use 4WD that much with them. i have a nice paved driveway, and other than being a rough ride and sloshing my rum and coke all over the place, they dont harm the pavement at all...

Back