Trade Terms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oswegatchie3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to listing common trade terms and their definitions for the especially new people just like me, and people interested in the practice. Any kind of information will do. Example: Flipline-<insert definition here>

Would "GET ME A :censored: ROPE!" fall into the category of Trade Terms? :greenchainsaw:

Friction hitch - knot tied on tailing end of climbing rope used to ascend and descend in a tree in a controlled manner?

Would "GET ME A :censored: ROPE!" fall into the category of Trade Terms? :greenchainsaw:

Friction hitch - knot tied on tailing end of climbing rope used to ascend and descend in a tree in a controlled manner?

Tomtrees I like for his not beating around the bush but YES we could have some fun here. This guy walked right into it. Did he not?
I am thinking of a common term right now.

is it home owner?

Happy homeowner horse#### = mickey mouse m- and f'er
That is a common term , isn't it? I mean that's what it called all over, right? That's what it says in the book?
I am not referring to anyone specifically at this time with my very derogative and snide remark.

Last edited:
Some May forget at some point in time they, We all did not know Terms, {What the H#)) do we call it} things are named different in different parts of the World. I would like to see an Dictionary of Terms for Tree tools and Such from all over. We don't call anything the same yet, ISA Terms, TCIA Terms & and Real World Terms. That ( Flip Line) was a Chicken Strap when I started, My Foreman Owen Widmer Arborist for Arlington Heights IL. had one but no one else on the Crew. Now I see people with Home Made ones , Tie or Brade you own. just look at the Blakes hitch, He did not Invent it He just put a name to it. Look into an old TCIA article called Son of a Hitch.
I think it would be good Humor to what we all call different things we all use in the same way or for the same things example what is a {Flying Block} I use it all the time. If someone wants to learn some terms or to learn how isn't that why we are here. We all Had to do it and why not have it in one place. If it don't happen OM me and I will do my best, may not be the same name as someone else in this world but I will do my best to help.
Please do not Think I am any kind of a Know It all, I just see how many thing are called by ODD names from my Trainees that come to my class at Job Corps

Some May forget at some point in time they, We all did not know Terms, {What the H#)) do we call it} things are named different in different parts of the World. I would like to see an Dictionary of Terms for Tree tools and Such from all over. We don't call anything the same yet, ISA Terms, TCIA Terms & and Real World Terms. That ( Flip Line) was a Chicken Strap when I started, My Foreman Owen Widmer Arborist for Arlington Heights IL. had one but no one else on the Crew. Now I see people with Home Made ones , Tie or Brade you own. just look at the Blakes hitch, He did not Invent it He just put a name to it. Look into an old TCIA article called Son of a Hitch.
I think it would be good Humor to what we all call different things we all use in the same way or for the same things example what is a {Flying Block} I use it all the time. If someone wants to learn some terms or to learn how isn't that why we are here. We all Had to do it and why not have it in one place. If it don't happen OM me and I will do my best, may not be the same name as someone else in this world but I will do my best to help.
Please do not Think I am any kind of a Know It all, I just see how many thing are called by ODD names from my Trainees that come to my class at Job Corps

You have a great point, that you do. I hope you will excuse my ignorance and I was being ignorant... but this guy did sound gayer than TreeMDS in his yellow petzl going "how do you plant trees cause I just landed a job and I don't know how, tell me so I can cash in , etc".
Once again please forgive my ignorance but even as a novice I just watched and learned what was what.I figured if I could get the vernacular down I could fake it from there. It may not sound like it but I am apologizing sincerly.

I'm shocked at the hostility. There was no reason at all for it. It was pretty immature. I never thought that asking for information to help others interested in the practice as well as myself was high treason. As another said, why not have a lot of information in one place?

I'm shocked at the hostility. There was no reason at all for it. It was pretty immature. I never thought that asking for information to help others interested in the practice as well as myself was high treason. As another said, why not have a lot of information in one place?

Hey, i made my apology.

Growing up I just called them spikes. As a lineman they were called hooks, and the actual spike was called a gaff. I always though those terms were pretty lame and just preferred spikes.

I think you will have to put your time in (endless hours) around here listening to BS sesions to pick up the terms, or straight up ask and get 9 a$$ chewings for 1 straight answer. It's just the nature of treemen trying to communicate, can't change it without changing them. Just sh1ttin into the wind.

Last edited:
he was kicking you while you were down.

hey oswega. what do you want to know and why?....

"spikes" are your climbers or gaffs depends where you are.

I hope you are not inferring that I was not sincere apoplogizing to the man for being a prick. You don't mean the other way around either, do you?

Latest posts

Back