Traded today for a Stihl 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Weld

If it aint broke, it aint mine!
Reaction score
I made a trade today for a Stihl MS361. It needs a magneto/coil and it should be running again. We will see. She is dusty, but looks good overall. I will test compression tomorrow. I have traded with this guy before, so I expect good results.

I traded him a 30 year old Schrade "Golden Spike" and 100 22LR. He has plenty of running saws and wanted the vintage knife for his son.

CAD is crazy! In just a few weeks I have gone from 2 saws to 10 saws! I think Mrs. Weld is ready for me to sell some of them, or possibly put me in treatment. :D

As one who has been there, resist the pressure to sell, treatment really isn't that bad.
What's the going price for one of those fancy air filters?

It looks like the filter costs ~$12 on fleabay. I am gonna try and clean it when I am finally able to work on her.

I don't plan on selling this one. :chainsaw:

I made a trade today for a Stihl MS361. It needs a magneto/coil and it should be running again. We will see. She is dusty, but looks good overall. I will test compression tomorrow.
Did you check the compression? Ive had 2 stock 361s, I was not impressed with the power. Sold them both.

Maybe a muffler mod would help, I wish I would've tried that before I sold mine.

Resistance on the starter rope feels good, but I know that doesn't mean much. I will test the actual compression tonight with a meter.

This saw has supposedly not had a hard life. I am the third owner.
Allegedly it has always been a "homeowner firewood" saw. The original owner used it to cut firewood until he got too old to mess with cutting for himself. Then it set the saw in his barn till the previous owner received it as payment for fixing the old mans generator. He put a carb kit in her and ran her for a while. He says that the ignition failed and then it set in his barn till I got it yesterday. That is the story. I will update the thread once I test her tonight.

Did you check the compression? Ive had 2 stock 361s, I was not impressed with the power. Sold them both.

Maybe a muffler mod would help, I wish I would've tried that before I sold mine.

Yes a mm would have helped. Those mufflers are very choked up.

I agree with everyone here, that will be a clean 361 when you get it cleaned up. I got a next to new one last year and I believe it blew a 165psi.

Oh yeah......YOU SUCK!

What are those 3 knucle buster bolts in the chain brake?
Cleaning chemicals are expensive and bad for your health.
That thing needs a plug boot, you know how much chainsaw rated boots cost? They are sold in pairs, what are you going to do with the other one?
Electrical issue? electrons are going to be lost in all that dirt.

This is going to be expensive, sell it cheap quick.
Just lookin out for your mental health, CAD is bad enough without the added stress of cleanin a saw!!!

I was able to slip out to the garage of repair and despair right after bathtime but before Yo Gabba Gabba started and put the compression gauge on the saw. She clocked in at 155. I am ordering some parts tomorrow.

I don't know what those knuckle duster bolts on the brake lever are about. I need to find some little skull heads to glue on the bolt heads. I will post some more pictures after I clean her up on Saturday.

I was able to slip out to the garage of repair and despair right after bathtime but before Yo Gabba Gabba started and put the compression gauge on the saw. She clocked in at 155. I am ordering some parts tomorrow.

I don't know what those knuckle duster bolts on the brake lever are about. I need to find some little skull heads to glue on the bolt heads. I will post some more pictures after I clean her up on Saturday.
Looks like that's some sort of repair job on the plastic to fix a cracked handle. You may be able to use short carriage bolts instead with lock nuts on the back side. I would also round off the corners of the batten he used to tie across.

Sounds like a good plan WD. Hopefully I will be able to get a better look at her this weekend. I have several projects saws right now PLUS all the other stuff on "the list". :D

The only saw I picked up this weekend was an Echo that I sold.

Hopefully I can work on the 361 a bit tomorrow. I will update once I get my hands on her.

I tried to get Mrs Weld to help me trouble shoot the coil, but she would not hold the sparkplug while I yanked the starter rope.... :D

What are those 3 knucle buster bolts in the chain brake?
Cleaning chemicals are expensive and bad for your health.
That thing needs a plug boot, you know how much chainsaw rated boots cost? They are sold in pairs, what are you going to do with the other one?
Electrical issue? electrons are going to be lost in all that dirt.

This is going to be expensive, sell it cheap quick.
Just lookin out for your mental health, CAD is bad enough without the added stress of cleanin a saw!!!
just go tell him to buy one of husky it would be easier saying that huh.
ahh just run it till it pukes i got saws that look worse than that.

Looks like that's some sort of repair job on the plastic to fix a cracked handle. You may be able to use short carriage bolts instead with lock nuts on the back side. I would also round off the corners of the batten he used to tie across.
I just figured it had lost the mud flap

The 361 is still my goto saw and gets more hours on its clock than any other saw that I own.

Stihl MS361 Rocks!

Hmm,

by your sig line I see you don't have a 359 in the litter.

Yup them ole 59cc saws are about just right for wood chuckin'.

My 359 w/ 20" goes every time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and I gots 40+ runners to choose from.

Latest posts

Back