Trailer and Grapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone own one of those trailers Bailey's advertises? The ones that have the grapple on them for loading logs? Man, those look like they'd be handy but they look a little flimsy.

I thought about rigging a heavy duty trailer with a grapple but thought possibly I might be able to buy one just as cheap (when I saw the ad). Any comments?

There is a member on here, and took some pics of his similiar if not the same thing, it's in a thread called 'how do you move your firewood' or something like that, If you scroll back a few pages you'll come across a pic heavy thread. Quite a load of logs on it too.

Here it is, happy looking.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=57085

Last edited:
There is a local guy that built his own the way I want one. First off,not knocking the trailer you mentioned if they made what I want I may have bought one instead of my mack! I don't have time to build one the way I want, but I will mention what I want one like, to give someone wanting to make money an idea! It can't be a pipe trailer type for me,not dual purpose as mine needs to recover brush,stump grindings etc. So it must be dump trailer with high sides. I will want to sell marketable timber so dual tandem axels! It will be necessary for it to lift, at least three tons and haul ten tons!It will need good brakes and good load rated tires stock and finally it will need to be priced near 30000, so there ya go!

Almost forgot the grapple must reach and have extenda boom and bypass grapple!

Last edited:
You sound like me

There is a local guy that built his own the way I want one. First off,not knocking the trailer you mentioned if they made what I want I may have bought one instead of my mack! I don't have time to build one the way I want, but I will mention what I want one like, to give someone wanting to make money an idea! It can't be a pipe trailer type for me,not dual purpose as mine needs to recover brush,stump grindings etc. So it must be dump trailer with high sides. I will want to sell marketable timber so dual tandem axels! It will be necessary for it to lift, at least three tons and haul ten tons!It will need good brakes and good load rated tires stock and finally it will need to be priced near 30000, so there ya go!

Almost forgot the grapple must reach and have extenda boom and bypass grapple!
Your thought are almost exactly like mine except I don't nee sides (i need a flat bed that can also haul my backhoe). I think I better look at some used logging equipment rather than Bailey's.
Also, to the other guy who responded to my thread about the wood hauling thread, I looked at that but I need to go to the woods with a lot more storage than a snomobile trailer and a quad. The one poor guy had that little wheel barrow thing that would only hold a couple of arm loads of wood! We go to the woods now with an old grain truck and hoist that holds about 5 face cords. That is minimum for us.:clap:

Does anyone own one of those trailers Bailey's advertises? The ones that have the grapple on them for loading logs? Man, those look like they'd be handy but they look a little flims
y.

I thought about rigging a heavy duty trailer with a grapple but thought possibly I might be able to buy one just as cheap (when I saw the ad). Any comments?

It depends on what your expectations of "cheap " are. For the homeowner collecting firewood with a ATV, seems like overkill too me. If you are selling firewood , I would think you'd go bigger? :cheers:

I've had one for 3 1/2 years. Love it. I have the 5ton model, but it will easily haul more( and has many times. Not flimsy at all. I've hauled hundreds of cords with it. Gets into tight places and is cheap to insure and register.

Bigger, badder,stronger is great, but that also comes with bigger, badder, stronger issues and costs.

I own the small off road model. I use it behind my JD1530 45hp tractor. It has walking beam axels and works very well. I do think it is too heavy for a 4 wheeler. If you check the specs it weighs more than most 4 wheelers are rated to pull--empty. Then you add the wood and see how far you can pull it up a hill. I sometimes have to use a winch on the front of my tractor up hills and my tires are loaded. Sorry I can't upload any pics I get a message that my file is too big.
It is a solid built unit.
Mr Bill

Last edited:
It depends on what your expectations of "cheap " are. For the homeowner collecting firewood with a ATV, seems like overkill too me. If you are selling firewood , I would think you'd go bigger? :cheers:

I cut for 3 outdoor furnaces and sell about 120 face cords per year. My dad would laugh me out of the woods if I showed up with a quad and 1 yd trailer.

Husky and Mr. Conran

I've had one for 3 1/2 years. Love it. I have the 5ton model, but it will easily haul more( and has many times. Not flimsy at all. I've hauled hundreds of cords with it. Gets into tight places and is cheap to insure and register.

Bigger, badder,stronger is great, but that also comes with bigger, badder, stronger issues and costs.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to get started with something only to be disappointed with the results.

How big a log can you pick up with your grapple? From the picture in the magazine it is hard to see what it can handle.

With my loader, I think it is rated at 3200 lb. at 4 feet from center,(essentially the edge of the trailer), that number may be off by some. I can routinely move pine and hemlock 16-17 footers in the 18-22" range, beyond that diameter I cut shorter logs. Hardwood, I can do 24-30" oak logs cut to 8'
Probably 16-18" for 16'6". It's not a log truck, but everyone is impressed when they see its abilities.

I even use it to stuff tops into the chipper.

If you have the tractor this setup give more flexibility. Borforg Mfg makes these for about any tractor. Its called a BoDozer
289432568.jpg

With my loader, I think it is rated at 3200 lb. at 4 feet from center,(essentially the edge of the trailer), that number may be off by some. I can routinely move pine and hemlock 16-17 footers in the 18-22" range, beyond that diameter I cut shorter logs. Hardwood, I can do 24-30" oak logs cut to 8'
Probably 16-18" for 16'6". It's not a log truck, but everyone is impressed when they see its abilities.

I even use it to stuff tops into the chipper.

That sounds exactly what I want. We farm so a tractor isn't a big deal (have 5 of them). What I am trying to do however is work out a deal with our local city to get their wood they cut. I would have them put it between the sidewalk and street and just pluck it up! Do you think what you have would do that? The reach would probably need to be somehwere in the 10 to 15 foot range to the side. I don't need a log truck (another engine to maintain).

wkpoor

If you have the tractor this setup give more flexibility. Borforg Mfg makes these for about any tractor. Its called a BoDozer
289432568.jpg

I have been looking for a used front grapple for our loader for a long time (I have a 416C Cat backhoe). The problem is Cat is so damned expensive even with used stuff. Can you go to a pile of woood and grab a load and carry it to your stove with your grapple?

Can you go to a pile of woood and grab a load and carry it to your stove with your grapple?
That grapple works good for a variety of things but that its not good for at all. I use it mainly for whole logs but in the woods it also works good to move brush out of the way. If I cut a tree in a place where the limbs need cleaned up I gather them with the grapple.

Grapple buckets

I have been looking for a used front grapple for our loader for a long time (I have a 416C Cat backhoe). The problem is Cat is so damned expensive even with used stuff. Can you go to a pile of woood and grab a load and carry it to your stove with your grapple?

I have a grapple bucket for my skid steer, And it turned a common loader into a robot,.You can pickup a pop can, without any dirt,..I cant imagine life without it, much like the microwave in your kitchen,.when you think about how much it does for you and, why didnt I get one sooner,.If you try it your hooked, Besides the spoiling part, In one days time you can do more then TEN men can with a grapple bucket on a skid steer, cleaning up brush, loading wood, junk, etc, Eric

That sounds exactly what I want. We farm so a tractor isn't a big deal (have 5 of them). What I am trying to do however is work out a deal with our local city to get their wood they cut. I would have them put it between the sidewalk and street and just pluck it up! Do you think what you have would do that? The reach would probably need to be somehwere in the 10 to 15 foot range to the side. I don't need a log truck (another engine to maintain).

It would work very nicely. My loader has a 17 foot reach off center, which works out to about 13-14 feet off the trailer. You can usually get a good extra foot or so on those long picks by opening the jaws all the way and fetching the log in closer. I believe they sell a loader that has 21 feet of reach. If I think of it, I'll take some pics today when I'm moving some boiler logs.

I have a grapple bucket for my skid steer, And it turned a common loader into a robot,.You can pickup a pop can, without any dirt,..I cant imagine life without it, much like the microwave in your kitchen,.when you think about how much it does for you and, why didnt I get one sooner,.If you try it your hooked, Besides the spoiling part, In one days time you can do more then TEN men can with a grapple bucket on a skid steer, cleaning up brush, loading wood, junk, etc, Eric

Brush grapples are awesome.

It would work very nicely. My loader has a 17 foot reach off center, which works out to about 13-14 feet off the trailer. You can usually get a good extra foot or so on those long picks by opening the jaws all the way and fetching the log in closer. I believe they sell a loader that has 21 feet of reach. If I think of it, I'll take some pics today when I'm moving some boiler logs.

I'd like to see some pitures if you have some time. Basically I think I'm done in the woods for the year. It's going to be 40 this week and things are going to get a little soft. Just gearing up for next winter.

Latest posts

Back