trailer crane ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
calling all backwoods engineers. I bought a goose neck, 12 ft. dump trailer last summer to haul wood and whatever from tree removal jobs. as ofnow we are still hand loading what we can and taking the sides down to roll larger sawlogs on sideways with the help of a chain saw winch. I would like to build a boom, off the center of the goose neck, with an electric winch mounted to it, to lift big blocks, or mrdium size logs. anybody have any steel specs or other ideas. I was looking at old logging photos of scandinavian farm tractors with a winch and boom setup on the back to load their trailers. I'm thinking my boom will be 6 to 8ft long , 6000lb electric winch, I could add hydraulics to the boom lift by tapping into the trailers pump. any pictures or suggetions will be appreciated thanks burlman.

You will most likely have to build from the ground up. Putting a boom on a gooseneck is a great idea, but the trailer isn't designed to have a 500lb+ size log hanging on a boom extended out above the middle of the deck. It will create several tons of force at the base of the boom.
Have you considered, or is there anyplace strong enough to drop in removeable winches near the corners of the trailer. With two boat trailer winches you could parbuckle a log up and in with winches for and aft near the corners and be able to use them on either side. With elec plugs at each point that wouldn't be out of the question either. Would be a hassle to use most likely, but without a loader, it would be next best thing.
The other thing about a boom is that if you are not level, getting a heavy log to swing uphill can be a challenge, and believe me, they will all be uphill as the weight of the log will cause this.

I got to thinking about you problem a bit more. Could you put something like this on your trailer, hinging it at the top front of the bed or frame and tying it back to the front center? This way you could winch a log right in from the back or lift some from the sides.
this unit has a hyd winch and I can pull good size logs up to me or pick blocks of any size up to 6+ft in dia. By being able to raise and lower the boom you could stack to the front all the way to the back. Using a handcrank winch and twopart the line you could easily winch the boom to the attitude you would need.

Kind of like this? (for sale!)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Kind of like this? (for sale!)
attachment.php

Sweet set up. :D

I've been gathering the goodies together to do a project kind of along the lines of what burlman is looking to do, except it needs to be detachable on a 25' goose neck beavertail trailer with a pair of 12K axles.

thanks for all the research and ideas gang, your on the right track as to what I was thinking. good tip on the fighting gravity issue, on the swing. to many designs on the level garage floor, don't cut it in the bush. those hydraulic clams are nice but way to pricey for what I need to do, thanks for the suggestions so far...burlman

Back