Trails & Volunteering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonc

Reaction score
Kind of off the wall for this group, but I have a couple questions about hiking and backpacking trail maintenance. I am wanting an opinion on the tools I am currently using. I really don't like loppers because of the size and the distance I have to cover and carry a small handsaw. I have two of them a Fanno folder, #2 and a Silky Super Accel 210 (folder). Along with this I carry Felco hand pruners. Occasionally a Stihl string trimmer provided by the Forest Service. The folding saws work well for me up to a certain point of size especially in green wood. I am looking for a hand saw for dead trees laying across the trail up to 12-14" in diameter. Possibly slightly larger. These trees will probably be oaks, and in the dirt. I hate to take an expensive saw into this dirt. What are my best options? Often times, the trees are large enough that I just can't slide them off the trail or break them, so I just cut them in half to make it easier. Thanks ahead of time.

Jon

Last edited:
How about a good quality bow saw. Its light enough to pack and will handle some bigger wood.

Jon. loppers are key eqpt for me on trail work. I usually wear a climbing saddle, and stick the slender cast aluminum loppers in so they hang in a D-ring on my hip. Handsaw and secateurs in scabbard, folding shovel hanging, pouch with miscellaneous tools-- binocs, collecting kit etc., 40' line 9mm, polesaw, and man I'm still traveling light and ready to go.

Back