Traits and practices of a good groundman suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how to make your day really fun;
put all chains on backwards,
dont check the gas before you send up a saw,
tell the climber you could do it better if he wasnt already up there,
exessively wrap the tree (or portawrap),
scream "WAAAAAIIIITTT" during every climbers backcut, when they shut the saw off to see whats going on say "nevermind keep going"

these simple steps will make your day on the ground more fun and exciting because face it climbers......................................................., you're not going to climb all the way down to do anything about it.

You sir, you are my favorite troll! :rock:
Actually, that is pretty funny or I am just in a good mood.:cool:
:happybanana::dancing::chop::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Jeff

Just so you know, I went to this extreme because it cut into my post to start a new thread.
I was thinking,,and then took time to read you,,,stop it,,,
Jeff

scream "WAAAAAIIIITTT" during every climbers backcut, when they shut the saw off to see whats going on say "nevermind keep going"

these simple steps will make your day on the ground more fun and exciting because face it climbers......................................................., you're not going to climb all the way down to do anything about it.
I wish there was a "love" button.

Remember we have a large viewing area from up there and are pretty accurate. No need for me to come down when I can send a log down to fix the problem and continue working.

Word of advice for a new ground man. Always look up. Some " struck bys " are not accidents.

you are a 'Love Button',,,,
it happens mostly when your 'man suit' is in the dryer,,
just refrain from posting before you put it on,,
you are welcome,, good-nite,,,
Jeff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,most,,,,,,definitely,,,
I'd ask,,,,,, to,, borrow yours,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,, ,, , ,,,,,
But,,,,,I don't think my balls,,,,,, would,,, fit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When I need,,,, to hear from a glorified secretary,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll call you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,, ,,,, ,,,,,,,, ,,,,!

Remember we have a large viewing area from up there and are pretty accurate. No need for me to come down when I can send a log down to fix the problem and continue working.

Word of advice for a new ground man. Always look up. Some " struck bys " are not accidents.

Two words:

Yellow rain.

Hummm sounds like you drink a lot of soda, tea, coffee. I know when im working its all water. They would be pretty confused clear but warm....

Before you send up a saw you'd better base tie his climb line tail, just in case....

You can bet your last dollar if a saw sent up had a backwards chain and was empty i WILL come all the way down and kick somebody's ass.

Remember...he who laughs last, laughs the hardest.

Need a groundie, Chris? There's this dude I've heard about...

:hi::cheers:

Kevin was trying to **** with me one day, he hasnt worked with many people that climb SRT, and tied the tail end of my climb line off....He sure was surprised when I made it to the ground and started chasing him around the yard... I was working on being tied into another tree and climbing (spikeless) a heavy leaner walking up and setting up as if we were going to wreck it. Point is tying the tail end off only works DDRT. This was at a buddies house so horse play was not a problem... No saws either...

1. Setup safety cones as necessary around equipment/job site. Take pride in protecting people.
2. Have saws inspected and filled with gas an oil.
3. Double check trailer/hitch connections
4. Make sure you're climber/bucket operator is always in sight. Try everything possible to make sure they aren't waiting on you.
5. Don't waste trips to the truck. Need something to drink? Grab a pile of brush to bring back with you.
6. Ask questions. Before you start the job, ask about the tree. Find out its identification and reason for removing and or trimming. Even ask your climber his gameplan for removal/trimming.
7. Learn basic knots. At the very least bowline and sheet bend.
8. Protect your climber-especially when rigging. Learn when you need to let the rope run, or when you need to keep it tight. Ask the climber if you aren't sure.
9. Save time on the chipper. Stack whatever possible behind it. When there's time-run it through quickly, but most importantly, safely. Your company will appreciate the hours you save on the chipper. They are pricey units.
10. Rake towards the chipper. Avoid sending dirt/rocks through the chipper. Chip up what you can, anything else take a shovel and put it on the back of the truck.
11. Take inventory of equipment before leaving the job. Make sure you leave with everything you came with.
12. Do a 2nd walk through of the job before leaving. Make sure you didn't miss any brush, equipment, or personal items.

ALWAYS
1. Have your hard hat on
2. Have your safety glasses on
3. Have hearing protection
4. Have a desire to learn.

1. Setup safety cones as necessary around equipment/job site. Take pride in protecting people.
2. Have saws inspected and filled with gas an oil.
3. Double check trailer/hitch connections
4. Make sure you're climber/bucket operator is always in sight. Try everything possible to make sure they aren't waiting on you.
5. Don't waste trips to the truck. Need something to drink? Grab a pile of brush to bring back with you.
6. Ask questions. Before you start the job, ask about the tree. Find out its identification and reason for removing and or trimming. Even ask your climber his gameplan for removal/trimming.
7. Learn basic knots. At the very least bowline and sheet bend.
8. Protect your climber-especially when rigging. Learn when you need to let the rope run, or when you need to keep it tight. Ask the climber if you aren't sure.
9. Save time on the chipper. Stack whatever possible behind it. When there's time-run it through quickly, but most importantly, safely. Your company will appreciate the hours you save on the chipper. They are pricey units.
10. Rake towards the chipper. Avoid sending dirt/rocks through the chipper. Chip up what you can, anything else take a shovel and put it on the back of the truck.
11. Take inventory of equipment before leaving the job. Make sure you leave with everything you came with.
12. Do a 2nd walk through of the job before leaving. Make sure you didn't miss any brush, equipment, or personal items.

ALWAYS
1. Have your hard hat on
2. Have your safety glasses on
3. Have hearing protection
4. Have a desire to learn.

Real good advice right there.

So I followed all of your advice and I've built a great reputation with the foremen and company in general. I want to thank you all for taking the time to give me this advice; I'll be training in climbing during the winter!

Now that you have built this reputation, don't do the two week shuffle... Be consistent if your really in it for the long haul.

So I followed all of your advice and I've built a great reputation with the foremen and company in general. I want to thank you all for taking the time to give me this advice; I'll be training in climbing during the winter!

Be safe. The relationship you built with your climber as a groundsman will only help as you go forward, a lot of the things you've probably been watching happen from the ground will make more sense to you when you start climbing.

A good groundman comes to work prepared, and is someone who knows how to communicate. Number 1, if your are trimming for a power company, (Nelson Tree, Asplundh, etc.) Make sure the truck ALWAYS has all of the tools and safety equipment and gear, and if it doesn't tell your foreman before he finds out when he needs it and it's not there. Get cones out. Rake towards the chipper,but don't throw rocks through it!

If it's residential tree work your doing as not necessarily working in the road, the same applies. Always look up and stay where you can be seen. Keep brush off the ropes. If your sending a saw up, start it and warm it up. Learning how to keep a saw sharp is slightly more important than learning how to sharpen a chain, time is money especially in the tree business and every time you dull your chain work stops.

Never walk to the chipper empty handed or with one or two sticks. Make it a habit to always pick up brush, and when you're chipping the climber or guy in the bucket shouldn't have to assist you in cleaning up what we already dropped.

Most of all, stay safe. You will pick up on all the nuances as you gain experience. Good luck!

Back