Transfer cover glue/sealant type.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hacskaroly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am working on an inoperative MS 311; this unit was used for milling wood. I assume it overheated at one point, and the glue/sealer used to hold the transfer cover in place warmed up, and it popped off due to cylinder pressure.

I am looking for recommendations for any heat-resistant glue/sealant that has previously worked for you in this application to reseal the transfer cover to the cylinder.

MS311_Cylinder.jpg

Well, I am giving it a shot with JB Weld cold weld two part epoxy. States that it can handle up to 5020 psi and 550 degrees F.

1692764640404.png

Working on putting the saw back together right now, hopefully it will be all back together tomorrow so I can test the 311 and see how it holds up.

Good luck with the JB Weld. That stuff often performs well in difficult applications.

For the record, JB also makes hi-heat and extreme-heat products: epoxy sticks and extra-thick epoxy glue.

Roy

My only question would be do you want that cover to be permanently attached to that engine? I'm sure it will stick and take the heat but don't think getting it back off with out damage will be easy.

Not being familiar with that engine I don't really know if there would be a reason to want to take it back off.

My only question would be do you want that cover to be permanently attached to that engine? I'm sure it will stick and take the heat but don't think getting it back off
The customer wanted his saw working without paying $300+ for a new cylinder. I can not see any reason to take off the transfer covers unless it is to polish them or something.

311 is really not suitable for milling, at least nothing wider than 6-8""
Agreed, the customer stated that this saw was all he had available at the time, he has since got a more appropriate saw for milling. The 311 will now go back to firewood duty.

Agreed, the customer stated that this saw was all he had available at the time, he has since got a more appropriate saw for milling. The 311 will now go back to firewood duty.
I didn't see any mention of a customer in the original post. Hope this works out for them.

I didn't see any mention of a customer in the original post.
No worries, I should have provided a little more context. I was trying to not overload with information. I told the customer that it will work until it doesn't. I told him the best fix would be to get a new cylinder, but trying to save money, he opted for option #2 with resealing the transfer cover.

Follow up: I completed the saw rebuild and tested the unit. I let it warm up on low idle for two minutes before running it through some paces. Unfortunately I don't have any wood to test it on. The saw started easily and sounded good on both low and high idle. The real test will be when the customer goes to cut wood. He won't be using it as a saw-mill saw anymore so hopefully it will work out for him cutting firewood. This was a good learning experience for me and I appreciate everyone's input!

Latest posts

Back