Transplant a Japanese Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbavarian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I live in upstate New York and have a 8 - 10 foot Japanese Red Maple that I would like to transplant and am looking for tips.

Can you tell me what the best time of the year it should be? If I do want to move it now, what precautions shouold I take to ensure it doesn't die after moved.

Thanks

BigBavarian

Hardest part of any Transplant is not to cut off too much of the Root systen
I hit on one way some years back instead ofd trying to dug under the root ball
I would dig a trench all the way around the root ball outside of the roots tip limit, than drop a loop of small cable into the bottom ( a chocker, slip knot) as it is pulled tite it will cut off the bottom of the ball leaving all of the roots intact what you pull out looks like a plant that has been grown in a pot plants good too. Moved a lot of plants this way almost had almost no Root Stress.

I used this method to landscape my yard back in IL. Now I am useing it do the same in Arkansas. Homeowner wants any plant cut out , if it is good I come back and move it to my yard If I need a pland later because one got damaged on the job I more than likely have it in my yard at home and move it back to where its new home is.

Latest posts

Back