Transplanting White Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been thinning some hardwoods for cordwood and have come across areas of White pines from seedling size to 11-12 year old saplings.
It seems a shame to just zip 'em down when they are in the way and was wondering if there were any special considerations for transplanting.

1) Which size might survive best?
2) Do white pine transplant well?
3) when is the best time of year to do it?
4) Is it really worth the effort, I will I just be digging up a bunch of sad or dead trees in a years time?

Can someone else use them on their property? Then it may be worth the effort for them. Get the hint. Dig in late winter. White pines are readily dug for transplant.

I wouldn't want to move anything over 4 foot tall without a ball cart. Dirt is heavy.

hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I was planning on transplanting them to other spots on the property. Some to fill in some gaps left by old "landings" and others for ornamental use around the yard. Figured if they were free and not to difficult to move I might take advantage of the situation.

Jay, late winter in my section of Mass, the ground is like stone still, I would assume as soon a the ground thaws would suffice? We just got the last of the snow gone last week! From your comment I would think that a fairly good-sized root ball is imperative for success?

Thanks,
Newfie (Mike)

A rule of thumb for root ball diameter is:

one inch of trunk diameter at ground level=10 to 12 inches of root ball radius. ie. 2" trunk=20"-24"rootball.

Yes, you will have to wait for the ground to thaws.

Back