treated lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
What chemical is out there that you can treat your own lumber with. I use to use diesel and used moter oil to treat post with by letting the ends soak in a 55 gallon drum. Is there a chemical now that you can just brush on.

There are several choices. Lowes or the like carry them. Copper based stuff is much less toxic than the old arsenic based stuff.

I have seen several studys and threads on home treating of lumber. NOTHING sold to the public works... Diesel, used motor oil ect.. ect.. does NOT work long term.

Go the woodweb.com and ask the expert "Dr. Gene Wengert" and i bet you, you will get the same answer.

I wish i was wrong on this, as i HATE paying the price for treated lumber!!!

Rob

-Agree with Sawyer Rob. Nothing sold to the public will work. Soaking doesn't do a whole lot.

Bookerdog-any specific use that you're thinking of? Posts, or deck lumber?

bookerdog said:
I picked some jasco up will give it a try.

The Jasco product is incredibly toxic... and don't get in it your eyes... If exposed to the rain, it washeds off/out in a season. I've had reasonable luck letting it "dry", then coating it with penofin. The Jasco/penofin meld... but it stays even on steps.

Back